750 Yard .50 Cal Sidelock (RICE Barrels, 1:24 Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Here ya go Bob (45-70) You’ve been asking me to Stretch this .50 Cals Legs out, Here it is at 760 Yards Today :lewis: This is a SERIOUS .50 Caliber Muzzleloader, I Can’t Speak highly enough of this 1:24 Twist Rice Barrel

gUxIq6m.jpg

t8D72zN.jpg

I chose to use my BACO 615 Grain Paper Patch Bullet for this outing, My 610 Grain Grease Groove Bullet Shoots every bit as good, I just didn’t have any Cast up. The paper i used is Paper Mill Store 9# onion Skin (wood pulp I believe?) it is thin Stuff, This was given to me by Rob (rfd) It’s darn good Patching Paper! Thank you Rob :lewis:
yTqdDUam.jpg

Short Patched
V5eUZCwm.jpg

Unbelievable mate, you are a true talent in muzzleloaders and it's a pleasure to watch. Do you do much competition shooting?

Missed a good red stag at almost exactly 200 yards with my 9.3 and factory open sights yesterday. Think I definitely need to upgrade to a peep with the Hawken.

Last edited:
Here ya go Bob (45-70) You’ve been asking me to Stretch this .50 Cals Legs out, Here it is at 760 Yards Today :lewis: This is a SERIOUS .50 Caliber Muzzleloader, I Can’t Speak highly enough of this 1:24 Twist Rice Barrel

gUxIq6m.jpg

t8D72zN.jpg

I chose to use my BACO 615 Grain Paper Patch Bullet for this outing, My 610 Grain Grease Groove Bullet Shoots every bit as good, I just didn’t have any Cast up. The paper i used is Paper Mill Store 9# onion Skin (wood pulp I believe?) it is thin Stuff, This was given to me by Rob (rfd) It’s darn good Patching Paper! Thank you Rob :lewis:
yTqdDUam.jpg

Short Patched
V5eUZCwm.jpg

Damn I love it and using the Holy Black , I knew it would work . Damn good shooting , 800 yd. target is 10 inch x ring , 20 for 10 ring

Unbelievable mate, you are a true talent in muzzleloaders and it's a pleasure to watch. Do you do much competition shooting?

Missed a good red stag at almost exactly 200 yards with my 9.3 and factory open sights yesterday. Think I definitely need to upgrade to a peep with the Hawken.

No I don’t shoot Competition (Not my thing) Just me in the Mountains of North Idaho :lewis:

I could NEVER shoot like i do if it wasn’t for these Peep sights. Like I’ve said before they are HORRIBLE in Low light, But i shoot them so well that i am Willing to Sacrifice a little time at First & last light so i can use them. I can’t shoot a Regular Bead style Sight worth a darn anymore, i use to be able to when i was a Kid, and a much younger Man. I cut my Right Eyeball REALLY Bad in a Logging accident many years ago, My eyesight has never been the same since, Regular Buckhorn style open sights is a STRUGGLE for me, its actually my vision to the Target, I see the Sights fine, Its The Target out there that’s Blurry, i even see Double to some degree. When i look through a Peep sight, I can see again! About like when i was Kid, Younger Man. They ABSOLUTELY Work :lewis:

Damn I love it and using the Holy Black , I knew it would work . Damn good shooting , 800 yd. target is 10 inch x ring , 20 for 10 ring

Bob, I have some of the 800-1,000 Yard Targets, The entire Black Aiming Bull is a HUGE 44” inches, the targets are 2 Pieces That you Tape together. They make My little 20” Square Gong look TEENY TINY in Comparison. I could barely make out my 20” Gong with my Naked eye yesterday, But When i get in my Peep sight, and Adjust my Hadley Eye Cup, i can “Lock on it” :lewis:

When i made the comment in the Video that I could Shoot my 20” Gong Off hand with a Scope I truly meant that, I know i could do it with my little .308 and Nightforce NXS 22 Power Scope, Standing Flat Footed in the Rd. Open/Peep Sights is a WHOLE DIFFERENT Ball Game, They are an Extreme Challenge at LONG Range, and what Drives me in this Stuff :lewis:

No I don’t shoot Competition (Not my thing) Just me in the Mountains of North Idaho :lewis:

I could NEVER shoot like i do if it wasn’t for these Peep sights. Like I’ve said before they are HORRIBLE in Low light, But i shoot them so well that i am Willing to Sacrifice a little time at First & last light so i can use them. I can’t shoot a Regular Bead style Sight worth a darn anymore, i use to be able to when i was a Kid, and a much younger Man. I cut my Right Eyeball REALLY Bad in a Logging accident many years ago, My eyesight has never been the same since, Regular Buckhorn style open sights is a STRUGGLE for me, its actually my vision to the Target, I see the Sights fine, Its The Target out there that’s Blurry, i even see Double to some degree. When i look through a Peep sight, I can see again! About like when i was Kid, Younger Man. They ABSOLUTELY Work :lewis:

That's a bugger about your eye mate, lucky to not lose it.

One thing I notice is that on paper standard V or U notch sights with a post or bead are fine, even as I stretch out the distance (within reason). But as soon as you put a big stag in front of me and adrenaline kicks in I get the classic tunnel vision and lose my depth perception. As I said I missed a good one this weekend and that exact thing happened. I can control my excitement to the extent I don't shake and what have you but as I extend the range i notice how hard it is to keep the deer and sights focussed.

I remember a few years ago bow hunting and I roared before it was fully light just hoping to hear a stag talking back so I could plan a stalk. Of course before I'd finished my second roar out bursts a stag from the thick bush 20 yards away. I drew my Bow, looked through the peep and it may as well have been bloody midnight it was so hard to see through. He waited a couple of minutes then busted off, 5 mins later I could see through the peep fine. Sometimes you just have to accept the limitations.
In terms of what to do I'm still not set, maybe a similar set-up but with a painted bead or
something. That's a discussion for another thread though I don't want to drag this away from your great shooting.

Speaking of, my brother is a medium/long range rifle shooter and I told him about your videos. He didn't believe you were shooting as well as I said, can't wait to show him the sub MOA 760 yard one. It'll be a kick in the Fierce Rifle and Schmidt and Bender scope of his I bet!

gUxIq6m.jpg

t8D72zN.jpg

yTqdDUam.jpg

Short Patched
V5eUZCwm.jpg

As always, nothin but respect for your shooting skills & I appreciate you sharing it all.

gUxIq6m.jpg

t8D72zN.jpg

yTqdDUam.jpg

Short Patched
V5eUZCwm.jpg

Thank you for posting this! Very impressive.! I have a very similar rifle I built up using a Green Mountain .45 barrel with a 1-18" twist but have never tried it at 750. Really amazing!

Thank you for posting this! Very impressive.! I have a very similar rifle I built up using a Green Mountain .45 barrel with a 1-18" twist but have never tried it at 750. Really amazing!

Welcome to the Modern Muzzleloader Forum :lewis:

Back