777 FFG Powder Question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
This has probably been asked many times, but if someone can give me a quick answer it would be greatly appreciated.

I have only shot real black power in all my years of ML'ing, but with my recent purchase of a TC Omega, I'm going to use 777 powder. Now the TC manual lists the maximum loads for the Omega at 150 grs of Pyrodex Pellets, or Black Powder. I've read that 777 powder is 15% hotter than black or Pyrodex powders. Should I reduce my 777 powder max charge by 15% over the listed charges in the manual? I'm not saying I'm going to use the max load, but when working upwards from wherever I start to achieve the best accuracy, should I stop short of the listed max charge weight if I do indeed go that far?

This has probably been asked many times, but if someone can give me a quick answer it would be greatly appreciated.

I have only shot real black power in all my years of ML'ing, but with my recent purchase of a TC Omega, I'm going to use 777 powder. Now the TC manual lists the maximum loads for the Omega at 150 grs of Pyrodex Pellets, or Black Powder. I've read that 777 powder is 15% hotter than black or Pyrodex powders. Should I reduce my 777 powder max charge by 15% over the listed charges in the manual? I'm not saying I'm going to use the max load, but when working upwards from wherever I start to achieve the best accuracy, should I stop short of the listed max charge weight if I do indeed go that far?
Ok, I’ve had a cpl Omegas, I personally would not put 150gr of T7fff in one.
First off, if you’re shooting lighter weight bullets, the 3f is ok to use, for heavier bullets I’d get T7ff instead.
Yes cutting back your charge 10-15% is a good idea to start out, then adjust to what your gun & bullet combo likes.

My elk load with 777 is 95-100 gr by volume.

I have heard it said that 120 gr would be a max load of loose 777. I would need a recoil arrestor to shoot that load!

Also keep in mind that 777 loose is 15% stronger than 777 pellets (not just pyrodex or black)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back