777 loose and bullet combos

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I am out of BH209 and picked up some 777 loose. I was shooting a .451 300gr XTP but out of those also and cant find any. I also didn't get good accuracy from this combo either. Any suggestions on a bullet and powder charge? Looking for a 100yard deer load.

The whole problem is gunna be finding non premium type bullets atm. Its the peak of the season and lots of stuff is in short supply. So that leaves us with premium offering that the "masses" are not aware of such as Lehighs Controlled Fracturing.

You will need to buy sabots for these but the cost will be comparable to prepackaged Barnes and Monoflex. IMO the Lehigh from a terminal performance view point has a lot to offer. I see no reason why the 240gr will not give you all the killing power you will ever need at 100yards or a little more with a slight reduction in recoil.
https://www.lehighdefense.com/452-c...g-lead-free-hunting-muzzleloader-bullets.html
A cheaper option are the Harvester Scorpion PT Golds. Not a great bullet but if you want a 300gr that wont break the bank....They are under $30/50. You can get some sabots at the same time to combine shipping costs too.
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/scorpion-pt-gold?start=5

I'm burning 80 grains by volume of 2f Triple 7 with the Hornady 240 grain XTPs with the green sabots in my CVA Optima V2 pistol. It's a very accurate load for me.

I got away from those short pistol bullets years ago. They will tumble. Shoot a long bullet that has good sectional density. It will never tumble and will always stay accurate. I shoot the Barnes 300gr with no plastic tip, harvester crush rib sabot, and 90gr of 777 in a FF. I've killed deer so far out to 186 yards. No problem

GM54-120, I'd like to hear your experience with the 300 gr. Scorpion PT. They shoot great for me with 100 gr. V 777, but I haven't had the opportunity on deer yet. My buddy shot one deer with it and it wasn't DRT as I like, but seemed to work.

Ive only shot them for recreaction. Its nothing but a Rainier bullet with a tip added. IMO the Speer Deep Curl 300gr is a better bullet and probably the best plated bullet you can use for MLs. The copper is thicker and the bonding process appears to be done better.

The only 50cal i have left is a 1-32 smokeless and it prefers 275gr and under bullets. So i shoot the Barnes 225gr XPB mostly. Its quite nasty on deer sized game at the speeds i push it.

the no excuses 50 cal. 495 grain in front of 90 gr. 777 2f and a wonder wad are excellent killers

For me 80 grains of T7 with a 305 grain .430 GT bullet and a green MMP sabot shoot about 3" at 100 yards. With 100 grains T7 less than an inch.

I got away from those short pistol bullets years ago. They will tumble. Shoot a long bullet that has good sectional density. It will never tumble and will always stay accurate. I shoot the Barnes 300gr with no plastic tip, harvester crush rib sabot, and 90gr of 777 in a FF. I've killed deer so far out to 186 yards. No problem
I’ve shot out to two hundred yards so far and no tumble. At what point or condition would they tumble?

All bullets tumble when the fps/rpm slows enough. Every bullet needs a certain amount of rpms to remain stable. This is super obvious when you try to shoot a long bullet in a twist that is not fast enough.

A short bullet is more likely to tumble after impact on game. Just watch gel tests sometime.

Hornady.44 cal XTP 240 grain and a green Harvester sabot works great for me. Just picked some up from Cabelas. 100 grains of 777, 1” groups at 100 yards no problem

I shoot 75 grains 777 out of my Black Diamond with this bullet and the black sabot. I've also used the cheap shot cast lead bullets in a sabot to great success as far as accuracy and deer are concerned.

RM

Well, could have sworn I posted this on this thread, but don't see it anywhere.

My go-to for most new rifles was always 100-125 grains 777 and a 300 SST/Shockwave. You could start at 90 grains and increase 5 grains at a time till you hit the sweet spot.

I use 80grs (vol) of 777/fff when using 240gr bullets in both Whites.

Back