8/21 Squirrel hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't airguns fun!!!??? Airguns are another passion of mine. Own way too many of 'em. Congrats on what appears to be all headshots! nice shootin'

In my part of Central Missouri not many hickory nuts this year. A few around my house but they cleaned them out pretty quick

Aren't airguns fun!!!??? Airguns are another passion of mine. Own way too many of 'em. Congrats on what appears to be all headshots! nice shootin'
Been shooting hunting with them since I was 10 yrs old, only own 13 of them now but used to have a lot more..I quit hunting squirrels with a rimfire about 20 yrs ago and have used a muzzleloader or air rifle ever since, air rifles 95 percent of the time.

Patrick theres more squirrels and nuts this year then Ive seen around here in quite awhile, last year there were hardly any hickory nuts now every tree has them same with oaks.. This morning you could look thru the woods and just see limbs bouncing everywhere with squirrels moving in the trees.

That makes for an awesome hunt! - I mainly use a 410 with 2-1/2" on squirrels. Was homing to get my son out but its been fairly poor here. Thanks for sharing

Might want to quit shooting bullfrogs unless your going to eat them, they are disappearing quickly due to environmental conditions same goes for a lot of turtles. While fun targets may be better to leave them alone and maybe shoot waterbugs or something on top of water.. jmho

Killed 3 more squirrels this morning with the RWS 48.

Yeah, skwirls arent endangered at all. There are more of them then rabbits i think. I think they know they have to make lots more skwirls just so we have something to shoot at in the summer. And the way they just sit there and bark at you when your deerhunting... so annoying.

That makes for an awesome hunt! - I mainly use a 410 with 2-1/2" on squirrels. Was homing to get my son out but its been fairly poor here. Thanks for sharing
A really old Savage .410 breach load single shot was my first gun at age 7. The following yr I got to start hunting with it. Squirrel at first, then quail, dove, rabbit, That and a Crossman .177 pump was all I had to shoot & hunt with until I was 13, then the 12ga & .22's ( Both single shots at first ) came into use for me. Great training for me & any kid I think.

Last edited:
I had a cousin with a single shot .22. We have lots of ditches on the farm full of groundhogs and muskrats. He always impressed me that he could stand at water level and shoot a muskrat swimming in the water at distance. Very little to shoot at. 95% or more of the thing is under water from that angle. I think a single shot in any gun is a good place to start. Mine was a savage/stevens single 410 at the age of 12. If I wasn't working I was hunting.

Back