8 Pointer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's pic of the buck. Sorry for the cement but it was dark by the time we got the critter to the van.

0JcLSUz.jpg

Bitter north wind today cut short the hunt today as the nephew as dressed for what we had yesterday for weather and he iced up on me. Saw one small deer this AM , nephew saw a nice 8 point but couldn't get a shot. we're only a degree of from what yesterday handed us but the 25 mph wind, gusting higher, really makes hunting the ridge country cold and the deer are bedded. Only three shots heard all morning so there's darned few people out in the woods today. The pistol will start being my hunting buddy starting tomorrow.

Nice Buck you Got there Tom!! CONGRATS on him :lewis:

Thanks for the comments guys.

I shot a ten pointer in the same location two years ago that had the same wide spread on less than heavy main beams with short G1 and G2 tines. The 10 point was 22 inches at the widest spread, this 8 was 23 1/2"....they could be brothers if a guy looked solely at the racks and body size. I'm at about 245 pounds right now and this deer was a handful, so was the 10, but the picture doesn't show the body well. I've shot a mess of 8 and 9 point deer with great heads off this hill over the last 20 years and I've shot some seriously messed up heads too. I shot one deer that was tooth-aged at 8 years old and if I can find that rack I'll get a picture to show what age does to a deer's ability to grow big horns in old age. The best is a 13 point with some antler mass that dressed at #238. I'm primarily a meat hunter to make sausage, but I tend to like the bucks for the body size...way more meat. Once in a while we see a real good sized doe. The one I got this year dressed between 110 and 120 pounds.

What a great looking MN buck. glad to hear you also filled your Doe tag. Well Done

Nice buck, congratulations! I wasn't that excited this year (pushing 68) but once I got out an put a few in the freezer I got the feeling back. Still alot of work once you get one...

Congratulations on your deer. You’re a lot tougher man than me to hunt in that kind of weather.

Back