8 Pointer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I dropped an 8 point about 3:30 this afternoon. 60 yards and the Xpander did its job in a great way, taking the lungs out entirely.

I'll try for a picture tomorrow if there's light enough when we get back from hunting. Still have a doe permit so hopefully tomorrow.

I saw 17 deer today, 7 of which were does. Saw 2 bruiser bucks hot on a doe but no chance for a shot.

I dropped an 8 point about 3:30 this afternoon. 60 yards and the Xpander did its job in a great way, taking the lungs out entirely.

I'll try for a picture tomorrow if there's light enough when we get back from hunting. Still have a doe permit so hopefully tomorrow.

I saw 17 deer today, 7 of which were does. Saw 2 bruiser bucks hot on a doe but no chance for a shot.

A very nice job! Congratulations to ya!!

I used the accura on the buck. I’ll hunt the pistol thru this next week.

Here's pic of the buck. Sorry for the cement but it was dark by the time we got the critter to the van.

0JcLSUz.jpg

Bitter north wind today cut short the hunt today as the nephew as dressed for what we had yesterday for weather and he iced up on me. Saw one small deer this AM , nephew saw a nice 8 point but couldn't get a shot. we're only a degree of from what yesterday handed us but the 25 mph wind, gusting higher, really makes hunting the ridge country cold and the deer are bedded. Only three shots heard all morning so there's darned few people out in the woods today. The pistol will start being my hunting buddy starting tomorrow.

Beautiful buck you got there Tom.:2cool:

What a surprise this morning from the weather. I was up at 4:00 and on the road at 4:30. I'd checked the temp before leaving and it was a balmy 17 degrees with no precip suggested for the day, so I put on the usual camo orange that's good in this temp range and set out for the hill top. I started up the trail at about 10 after five since it takes me about 45 minutes to scale this beast. There's a switchback about half way up that I took a rest at and got an eye opener to the wind. If the wind is bad at that switchback, its brutal at the ridge where the stand is. It was obvious right away that this set of clothes was not going to cut it at the top for the planned 6 hour sit, so I turned and trucked back down the hill to the van and came home. After looking at the weather page after getting the next mug of coffee ready I think I made the right decision. Winds from the north and steady at 20-25 today with gusts to 15 mph higher than that. Steadily falling temps with zero or lower tonight. More of the same tomorrow. I had the pistol this morning and will keep it cold now until Weds when we're due to be warmer. I look out the window at my finch feeders and they're at about a forty degree angle in the wind so I'm pretty sure most all of the deer will be bedded with their noses under their tails for the next couple day. During the week there's darned little hunting pressure to help move deer so I'll get to skinning and reducing the deer I have to portions today. Out of the wind.

Here's pic of the buck. Sorry for the cement but it was dark by the time we got the critter to the van.

0JcLSUz.jpg

Bitter north wind today cut short the hunt today as the nephew as dressed for what we had yesterday for weather and he iced up on me. Saw one small deer this AM , nephew saw a nice 8 point but couldn't get a shot. we're only a degree of from what yesterday handed us but the 25 mph wind, gusting higher, really makes hunting the ridge country cold and the deer are bedded. Only three shots heard all morning so there's darned few people out in the woods today. The pistol will start being my hunting buddy starting tomorrow.
Nice buck! Congrats!

Thats a good deer. Nice work Sir.

I tagged out with a nice doe tonight. The Accura again and the 250 grain Xpander. It was about a 95 yard shot, off-hand, and it could not have hit more perfect. No bad meat whatever, both lungs look like black mush and the heart, while not hit buy the bullet, was as big as a softball and as black as coal tar from the hydraulic shock of that bullet. I went over the whole heart and it was a hard as a rock. Unreal. She dressed out at about 120 pounds so I'll be making lot of sausage this year.

Latest posts

Back