8 pt with Remington 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPH

Reaction score
I killed my second deer this afternoon (about 4:50 pm) in Arkansas. It was an 130 lb. 8 point. The 300 gr. XTP dropped him in his tracks. To be honest, any bullet would have done the same since I hit him a little high and got the spine.

It was windy today, with the wind coming from multiple directions, but I was hunting out of an Outhouse blind, and that helped make me scent free.

There first came a doe out. I could have shot her, but waited to see what else would show up. Next were two bucks - the 8 point I shot and one with long (probably 8-9 inch) spikes. When I shot, the doe ran off, but the spike stayed around long enough to reload. I could have shot him, but we have a 4 point on one side rule on our lease (in Arkansas it is 3 on one side), so I let him walk.

Our ML season goes through Monday. I may try to go Monday morning and try to fill another tag. This Remington 700ML has been a good rifle for me, in the 4-5 years I have had it, it has dropped several deer for me, out to 135 yards. The one today was about 50 yards.
DSCN3596.jpg

DPH nice deer. What was you pushing the .300XTP with? I took a small 8 with .300XTP and 90gr T7 ffg.

johnpb said:
DPH nice deer. What was you pushing the .300XTP with? I took a small 8 with .300XTP and 90gr T7 ffg.

That's the same load I'm shooting. I am using Winchester 209 primers. My 700ML is in 54 caliber, and I've never had the "crud ring". 90 grains of T7 ffg shoots great for me.

DPH,

Good job. I have read a lot of bashing on the Remington 700ML. I have the MLS in .50 caliber and it has been a great gun. It still shoots sub MOA with 200 grain Shockwaves and 100 grains of 2f Triple 7, and that is with #11 caps....I just never have seen the need to change something that works every time and has never failed.

That is a good buck.....congratulations.

bomtek44

bomtek44 said:
DPH,

Good job. I have read a lot of bashing on the Remington 700ML. I have the MLS in .50 caliber and it has been a great gun. It still shoots sub MOA with 200 grain Shockwaves and 100 grains of 2f Triple 7, and that is with #11 caps....I just never have seen the need to change something that works every time and has never failed.

That is a good buck.....congratulations.

bomtek44

Thanks for the congratulations. I'm glad to hear your 700MLS is a good shooter. When I read the posts about ML's needing to be fouled because the first shot shoots radically different that subsequent shots, it makes me glad that my rifle doesn't have that problem. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my 700ML is a great rifle.

BTW, I remembered that 33 years ago, on December 13, 1975, I shot my first deer - an 8 pointer. I thought it was neat that on December 13, 2008 I killed this 8 pointer. (I've killed a lot of deer through the years, but, after that first one, I don't remember any on December 13th until now.)

IowaRobinhood said:
Nice buck there. What was the distance? I love that rifle-

I believe I measured it at 55 yards with a rangefinder.

DPH

Thought you might like to see this harvest with a 700ml - they are just flat out a very good ML - I really have a lot of faith and trust in both of mine..

My estimate of 200 yards is long - It lasered out to be 176 yards - if I remember right.

CompositCowElk.jpg

How did you have your rifle sighted at 100 yards, and how much did the bullet drop at 176 yards?

You made a good shot on that elk. The Remington 700ML is a great rifle.

DPH

I use a thing called point blank range and I set that PBR @ 6". So what that means if i aim dead on from 25 to 180 yards - i should never be higher than 3" on the target or lower than 3"

Here is a ballistic sheet that shows this load from my Disc Extreme.. the only difference it the Oemga shoots 110 grains of T7 so the velocity is down from this listed velocity. But basically it computes to 2.8" high @ 100

300NosPP-120T7-2f.jpg

Back