80 grains and a round ball works great

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Buck.

Looks like you used a White Mountain Carbine. I own one but never tried shooting round balls from it just conicals to take advantage of the fast twist.

Thanks guys.
It's a .54 cal.
He was about 50 yards away.
I hit him just behind his left shoulder.The ball was recovered under the hide after it went through ribs, lung, liver. I should've taken a photo of the ball. If anyone would like to see it I'll do that when I get back home in March.

With regard to the hammer; Good eye for detail. I'd just picked the fired cap out of the hammer and set the rifle down for the photo. As you can see, there's no cap on the nipple.

Love .54 w/round ball they hit like a hammer.

Thanks guys.
It's a .54 cal.
I hit him just behind his left shoulder.The ball was recovered under the hide after it went through ribs, lung, liver. I should've taken a photo of the ball. If anyone would like to see it I'll do that when I get back home in March.

With regard to the hammer; Good eye for detail. I'd just picked the fired cap out of the hammer and set the rifle down for the photo. As you can see, there's no cap on the nipple.

I had 50 caliber on the brain that's why I said it was a fast twist.

The 54 WMC has the 1-48" twist, ideal for round balls and with its short length makes it very maneuverable . Sound like you have her dialed right in.

I shoot a 54 renegade with same load 2 f goes .018 pillow ticking, use ballistic 7 to 1 mixture as dry lube (Dutch Schultz) cast round ball out of as pure of lead as I can get Have not recovered one yet but one heck of an exit wound Nice Buck

Thanks guys.
It's a .54 cal.

Looks like you lost a wedge key too....or is it driven in from the other side?

Looks like you lost a wedge key too....or is it driven in from the other side?

Back when I got into shooting muzzle loaders I got into the habit of putting the wedge in from the left so that the rounded end is under my left hand.

Latest posts

Back