81 lbs of lead !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihookem

Reaction score
I was working on an old dentist office and decided to look up in he ceiling to look for bearing walls cause I was tearing out some walls for a remodel. I looked and saw sheets of lead all over the place. I took a bunch down , thinking when this friend of mine that owns it wouldn't want to get hit with a lead abatement bill should be happy if i did it for free. So, I took most of it down. There is a bunch up in there yet and will likely get the rest. It is thin and very soft. I figure that is about 2500 54 ca. roundballs.

I’ve melded such stuff - it had drywall glued to 1 side. Skimmed it off when melting it into ingots.
You did well.

I was working on an old dentist office and decided to look up in he ceiling to look for bearing walls cause I was tearing out some walls for a remodel. I looked and saw sheets of lead all over the place. I took a bunch down , thinking when this friend of mine that owns it wouldn't want to get hit with a lead abatement bill should be happy if i did it for free. So, I took most of it down. There is a bunch up in there yet and will likely get the rest. It is thin and very soft. I figure that is about 2500 54 ca. roundballs.
Go back and get as much as you can. Pure Lead getting harder to find. It will alway be worth something great trading stock.

If it's the lead on the walls it's harder than pure but it's under 40-1 equivalent.
Now if what you have is the tiny square lead strips that they put in your mouth. Those are hard lead. Don't melt them with pure.
Those things are seriously hard.

Why thanks Idahoron. I didnt know that. However, it was in the ceiling and was 3' wide and 10' long. and was like a lead wall above the ceiling tiles. I assume this would be 40-1 equal. It is very thin and flexible however. It should make a nice roundball even with the 40-1.

40-1 is a great hardness. If you decide you need it tested you can send me a couple bullets and I can test them.

Latest posts

Back