825 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock, BACO .443-530E

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I Hammered my 20X20 inch Gong at 825 Yards this Morning With the Ole Sidelock, 3 Shots just under MOA :lewis: Buffalo Arms Paper Patch Mold JIM443-530E Elliptical

Thompson Center Renegade Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule (Super Grade) Tang Peep sight. 32” Green Mountain Barrel, 1:18 Twist .45 Cal, With Lee Shaver adjustable Windage front sight, and Shaver’s BPCR Inserts.

lR1mCTTl.jpg

0R24XEZl.jpg

aLuF108l.jpg

1l1WpSXm.jpg

liQjc25l.jpg

Nice shooting Lewis ,were those your pure bullets? Got to order me one of those molds. My underhammer 451barrel and stock came yesterday. Buy the way what is your trigger pull weight?

Nice shooting Lewis ,were those your pure bullets? Got to order me one of those molds. My underhammer 451barrel and stock came yesterday. Buy the way what is your trigger pull weight?

Thank you :lewis:

These were Cast of 1-20 Alloy, These Long Nose Elliptical Style Bullets will do their Best cast of an Alloy, Their is GOOD Reason that SERIOUS, WORLD LEVEL Shooters use an Alloy Bullet, I asked 2-3 Time, And Current World Champion Dave Gullo if he knew of ANY SERIOUS Level Competitor that used a Pure Lead Bullet? His answer was NO, That all of them he Knew, and could think of, Used an ALLOY Bullet. These Long Nose Elliptical Style Bullets Cast of PURE Lead Can/Will “Nose Slump” When the Charge is Set off the Nose can Slump over. Does it happen everytime? No, But it DEFINITELY Can. I asked Dave Gullo of his opinion on “Nose Slump”? Dave Told me that Back when they use to Shoot Pure Lead Bullets they Would Occasionally get a “WILD FLYER” He said everything could be Going Great and out of Nowhere you have a Bullet fall 100 Feet or more short of the Target??? They called them a “Dirt Digger” After playing with Different Alloys, and eventually Settling on 1-20, These “Dirt Diggers” Went away, He Shrugged his Shoulders, and Smiled :)

A few examples of it. This 1st pic is NOT mine, But Clearly Shows a Bent Nose
eJUM6wfl.jpg

This is MY PHOTO, From my shooting this Winter, Shot in a Soft Snow Bank and Collected this Spring, These are PURE Lead, Buffalo Arms Cupped Base Swaged Bullets. Look at the Bullet on the Left, The Nose is Definitely Bent to the Left, There is NO DAMAGE to the Front of the Bullet, Beings these are SOFT PURE LEAD if it Had hit ANYTHING Hard it would obviously be Deformed, This Bullet went through MANY Feet of Soft Snow and Finally came to a Stop. Why is this Bullets Nose Bent?
PewVPECl.jpg

Thank you :lewis:

These were Cast of 1-20 Alloy, These Long Nose Elliptical Style Bullets will do their Best cast of an Alloy, Their is GOOD Reason that SERIOUS, WORLD LEVEL Shooters use an Alloy Bullet, I asked 2-3 Time, And Current World Champion Dave Gullo if he knew of ANY SERIOUS Level Competitor that used a Pure Lead Bullet? His answer was NO, That all of them he Knew, and could think of, Used an ALLOY Bullet. These Long Nose Elliptical Style Bullets Cast of PURE Lead Can/Will “Nose Slump” When the Charge is Set off the Nose can Slump over. Does it happen everytime? No, But it DEFINITELY Can. I asked Dave Gullo of his opinion on “Nose Slump”? Dave Told me that Back when they use to Shoot Pure Lead Bullets they Would Occasionally get a “WILD FLYER” He said everything could be Going Great and out of Nowhere you have a Bullet fall 100 Feet or more short of the Target??? They called them a “Dirt Digger” After playing with Different Alloys, and eventually Settling on 1-20, These “Dirt Diggers” Went away, He Shrugged his Shoulders, and Smiled :)

A few examples of it. This 1st pic is NOT mine, But Clearly Shows a Bent Nose
eJUM6wfl.jpg

This is MY PHOTO, From my shooting this Winter, Shot in a Soft Snow Bank and Collected this Spring, These are PURE Lead, Buffalo Arms Cupped Base Swaged Bullets. Look at the Bullet on the Left, The Nose is Definitely Bent to the Left, There is NO DAMAGE to the Front of the Bullet, Beings these are SOFT PURE LEAD if it Had hit ANYTHING Hard it would obviously be Deformed, This Bullet went through MANY Feet of Soft Snow and Finally came to a Stop. Why is this Bullets Nose Bent?
PewVPECl.jpg
I believe that is an example of heavy /soft bullet (bullet slump) well documented as a result too soft a bullet of that design seen usually on a longer profile . Shouldn"t be on that short a bullet ,in other words (I don"t know either) but it"s why my long range load is a BHN 1-20 for the BACO .443 /530 gr/Eliptical and not pure/Ed

I believe that is an example of heavy /soft bullet (bullet slump) well documented as a result too soft a bullet of that design seen usually on a longer profile . Shouldn"t be on that short a bullet ,in other words (I don"t know either) but it"s why my long range load is a BHN 1-20 for the BACO .443 /530 gr/Eliptical and not pure/Ed

:lewis: PURE Lead is GREAT Stuff for a Hunting Type bullet with a STOUTER Shoulder, I have MANY Bullet Designs that i came up with, and Had Molds Made that Work STELLAR When Cast of PURE Lead. I have GREAT LUCK With PURE Lead and Stout Shouldered Bullets, Such as a Round Creedmoor Type Nose. Such as these,

Here are just a Few examples of Bullets with STOUT Shoulders that Shoot STELLAR Cast of PURE Lead, i have MANY MANY More.
4lpsRwpl.jpg

BzMB55Il.jpg

Sk5RIl6l.jpg

JkkOXy9l.jpg

IT’S THESE Long Skinny Bullets, Such as Elliptical, Money, Prolate, Etc. that are gonna Benefit, in many cases ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE a Stouter Alloy to Shoot Well, You look at these Bullet Shapes and it Just makes Sense to use a STOUTER Alloy, to make a STRONGER Bullet. Think about it? PURE Soft Lead Bends EASY :) I have had it happen PLENTY of times where a 1-20 Alloy Bullet will Outshoot a PURE Lead Bullet, ESPECIALLY so In these Shapes of Bullets.
fojHewNl.jpg

u8QUMaul.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back