A big bodied fork horn with a hand crafted rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

Reaction score
When I saw the Allen Underhammer Action for sale on The Gunworks website I envisioned a rifle in my mind on the spot. After that I kept coming back to the webpage to stare at the action. I researched everything that I could find on it which incidentally, wasn't much. It wasn't long before I made the purchase followed by many other purchases for a suitable chunck of wood, a barrel, buttplate, thimbles, ramrod components...you get the idea.
At any rate, I'm proud of her and I wanted to share some pics of the build, the gun, and the deer.

She started out as a collection of parts and materials.
5bfb442905c5b.jpg

5bfb403bf1c26.jpg
his

Next step was to get to work on the stock to action fit and 2 dimenial shaping.
5bfb41322a3ea.jpg

5bfb4131bc44f.jpg

5bfb41322aa4e.jpg

Some more shaping and some custom ebony accents.

5bfb42904d019.jpg

5bfb42908543e.jpg

5bfb429084f21.jpg

Final shaping, fitting and assembly
5bfb442906497.jpg

5bfb442906213.jpg

5bfb442928d13.jpg

5bfb4429069ae.jpg

5bfb442906a6b.jpg

A slow rust bluing job and a hand rubbed oil finish to the $36 eBay find, European walnut stock, drill & tap for scope mounts, a whole slew of other tasks like checkering, plating the hammer and trigger, building a ramrod, working the action (which needed very little) working up a load and she's ready for the deer woods. .50 cal, 1:28 ROT, Tips the scales at 7.5lbs scoped. Converted from #11 to musket cap ignition and missfires just don't occur.
5bfb464ee45f9.jpg

5bfb464f6ffe6.jpg

5bfb464fb7fc2.jpg

5bfb46e78ee47.jpg

5bfb46578262c.jpg

5bfb465425ab9.jpg

5bfb46e7565cb.jpg

Had this big bodied 2X2 offer a broadside shot to the shoulder at 40 yards. He was laying as you see him in the photo less than 100 yards from ground zero. This the fifth deer that's fallen to my trusty underhammer.

5bf214a614d25.jpg

Thanks so much to all who took the time to comment.

BuckDoe, it sure is ashame about those pics. Photobucket basically held my pics hostage when they put an end to free third party hosting. I lost allot of those pics because I refused to pay the ransom. I remember being so proud that if you typed " underhammer" in a search engine, my rifle would be one of the first images to pop up. Not anymore.... :(

Ron, believe it or not she prefers 295 gr. HP copper clad Powerbelts.
Thanks again folks I'm lovin' all of the positive feedback. :mrgreen:

Two thumbs up.
One for the fine muzzleloader and one for the harvest!
:yeah: :yeah:

I remember salivating over that rifle during your build report. It sure is a purty work of art! :applause: Thanks for reposting some of the best photos.

You did some beautiful work right there, the buck was just the icing on the cake

Razor62,

What did you use to coat the Trigger and hammer? I see they are finished in a gold tone finish. Very cool!

Shawn, I bought a brush plating kit some 30 years ago from Texas Platers' Supply. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the company is still in business. The kit makes it feasible for a guy like me to do gold, silver or nickle plating at home. The plate is very, very thin so not particularly durable but a coat of clear lacquer helps to protect the job.

An article along with contact info:

https://www.bevfitchett.us/home-gunsmit ... rearm.html

Another big Thank You to all who took the time to comment. Very much appreciated.

Razor62 said:
Shawn, I bought a brush plating kit some 30 years ago from Texas Platers' Supply. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the company is still in business. The kit makes it feasible for a guy like me to do gold, silver or nickle plating at home. The plate is very, very thin so not particularly durable but a coat of clear lacquer helps to protect the job.

An article along with contact info:

https://www.bevfitchett.us/home-gunsmit ... rearm.html

Another big Thank You to all who took the time to comment. Very much appreciated.
Thanks for the info.

Back