A couple CVA complaints

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Groove508

Reaction score
Just bought a Optima V2 and getting around to setting it up for shooting and hunting next season. I am sure that it will exceed my expectations in most areas but I have a couple gripes. The supplied durasight mount seems pretty stout but I like a lower scope and a qr type system. Almost NO ONE makes a decent base for these rifles other than Durasight. It's like they are proprietary to those, that's not good! Second is the swivel loops/studs. Uncle Mike's swivels are the industry standard and you can't even get them on!! I am sure the "Claw" swivels fit perfect, again, proprietary! Not sure but CVA owns both companies or they are in bed with them. When it comes to accessories, I should be able to use what I want and not be forced to use what they want me to use! I am sure if they come up with a way that there barrels only shoot Powerbelts they will do that too! At least they listened and offer another BH for Blackhorn 209.

I have the Optima Magnum with a button release instead of a lever. And like you are talking.. went with a dura sight scope mount system. I have to say, after mounting a scope on it, I like the way it sets and views. Just a real nice rifle. As for the sling, I never use them too often, but I never thought about their sling system. Interesting post though. Thanks for making me think.

Be careful of those molded swivel loops/studs. I know of 2 different guys who have broken them. One re-drilled and added UM studs; another
ended up getting (i.e., buying) a new stock...

Weaver makes a one piece base for it where you can use virtually any Weaver style detachable rings.

DNZ makes the best one piece mount.....bar none. As for your scope height, I think the reason CVA uses the height mount that they do is to give plenty of clearance for reaching the hammer spur under the ocular bell of the scope. As for the sling mounts, I don't like them, I've asked them to change them, but I've never had one break & the Claw slings work as good as any.
I'm also not a fan of their trying to convince you that you need to use the products made by companies that they own. When I bought my top of the line APEX, the got an ear full because I couldn't use BH209 with their breechplug design, however they could "sell" me one for that use! If I had known it at the time, I wouldn't have bought it.
With that said, I began researching, found great forums, learned new tricks, & made some great friends. The APEX is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot, turning in a 3/4 inch 3 shot group at 200 yards with 110gr BH209 & a Bloodline 220 grain.
Hang in there. I have learned over time that you almost always find something you don't like about a new gun. Your gun is a nice gun & with the right load a great shooter. I would suggest the DNZ mount, a Western Powders BH209 breech plug, BH209 powder (usually 100-110 grains by volume) & Harvester smooth sabots. The bullet is up to you.
Good luck & hope we hea some success stories- Greg

Thanks for the replies, I am looking at the DNZ as they have a low mount. I plan on mounting a Vortex Viper 3-9x40m on it hence the swivel stud problem. I use mainly Montana slings and if you ever tried one, you will never buy another sling! I am hard on slings and what is attached to them, lots of walking and need my hands free. These slings use a unique knot cut into the leather so there is no hardware other than the swivels, they adjust simply by pulling on the knot and they stay where you adjust them. I have already ordered some swivel studs, machined screw for front and wood type screw for the back stud. I have looked at the stock a little and think I will cut out the existing loops/studs and clean up the lines with a Dremel tool. Probably have to reinforce both spots with something. We will see.......

+1 on the DNZ one piece mounts. I put one on a Marlin 336 recently. Very impressed with it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I have the Optima V2 and I was able to put the Uncle Mikes swivels on mine.
They are a tight fit but it worked for me.

Wolfshead said:

I have a new Optima V2 and Uncle Mikes don't fit as they are just a bit too wide. Can you sand the 2 areas down without messing up the stock?

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I've got a Weaver 2-piece base on my CVA Wolf. I'm not sure if I'm going to mount a scope, but the base seem to be ok.

yoda4x4 said:
Wolfshead said:

I have a new Optima V2 and Uncle Mikes don't fit as they are just a bit too wide. Can you sand the 2 areas down without messing up the stock?

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Not sure about sanding it down...
Could possibly work, I would hate to tell you yes and have something go wrong
Mine were real tight I just worked them on and have been able to put them on and take them of three or four times.

Here is what I have and showing it off then on the ML
I made the sling from paracord and just bought the swivels.

2b2518af246ca03b952c1d77d438fa7c_zpscfd0858f.jpg

21498604dfbcf6c99b9895e84fc833aa_zpscbe2c258.jpg

534d6ef8269adcad604e1bc878cb0380_zps394a1efc.jpg

ab0764e32e4ca7b056283c911f2caba4_zpsca460c9e.jpg

97ddb7f7f59e05c34d8bc8a22dc1e02c_zps8aaee3e5.jpg

I love that parachord sling. You should put those into production!

CVA has always seemed shady and cheap to me. I know some of their newer products are good shooters, but like alot of the current best selling muzzleloaders, they are are just plain fuggly. If they are indeed attempting to force customers to buy proprietary accesseries, they will tarnish a reputation that is only recently established and be a major backfire! Love the latest Knight offerings but good grief are they steep. That Ultra-Lite might be worth the $750ish that my Sportsman's warehouse has them for as a mountain rifle! So I guess that is the draw to CVA since they shoot just as good and half the price.

Bearstopper said:
If they are indeed attempting to force customers to buy proprietary accesseries, they will tarnish a reputation that is only recently established and be a major backfire!

They are not forcing their customers to buy anything.

If you watch the CVA Optima V2 Muzzleloader Instruction Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkYFnEP1OAo

In it Oniel Wiliams asks Tony Smotherman if the CVA Optima can shoot sabots????. Tony's reply is something along the lines of sure the CVA will shoot the sabots just fine. But they do educate the audience that they are harder to load and do require a bit more cleaning and move onto the next segment. Its hardly a case of forcing them to buy. Just good marketing on the part of CVA.

Most manufactures of Muzzleloaders recommend their support line of "their" products and no other companies products. For instance look at Thompson Center and Bore Butter. While other companies have marketed other products that may offer better results TC continues to use Bore Butter as one of their primary care ingredients.

Suggesting to use white hots and Powerbelts is one thing, molding in cheap stock studs that will not accept the normal swivels and having scope mounting holes spaced in a way you cannot use anything but there's is another! The cheapest Traditions they make has metal swivel studs and scope mounting holes that you can fit almost anything on.

ACtually Weaver and Durasite makes a one piece base that will accommodate any standard detachable Weaver style rings.

The Durasite mount that comes with the Optima and Accura is such a huge improvement over the Standard Weaver style rings that not many people are complaining or looking for aftermarket alternatives. Plus it comes free with any purchase of a New CVA optima, Wolf or Accura. So why go looking for more?

The only real need I could see for someone wanting to go to a Weaver style base would be if they wanted to say put on a target scope for working up loads and then put on a conventional scope for hunting purposes. Then you might have a argument for wanting something other than the Durasite mount. The Durasite is MORE than Adequate.

The stock that comes with the Accuras is a sore point with some folks I understand. Its a $200 MZ for the Optima and a $400 purchase for the Accura if most people do their homework. If you want a $800 MZ with a custom Kevlar stock then I am sure Knight will be more than happy to take your money and will probably rush one right to your door.

I feel certain that people purchasing the Optimas and Accuras are not looking to spend a extra $300 for Kevlar stocks like the Knight Ultra Lite is equipped with. So sure I am of this is one reason no aftermarket company has come to market with a $300 aftermarket stock for the Accura and Optimas. I just don't see it happening!

I don't have any issues with my Optima V2
That's all I can say
I was able to sight it in very easily, figure a load to shoot easily and took a very nice Doe with it this season, in less than ideal weather conditions.
I am also able to put on normal swivels without altering or changing the stock in any way as shown in the pics above.
The scope I put on was a powderhorn from Cabelas and I had no prob with the rings.....
I got my rifle at a cost that was important to me and it has lived up to everything I have hoped for
Just sayin.....

Are we still complaining about the molded sling studs? Lol. If it bothers a person THAT much then don't buy the gun. I have not had any problems with them on my Optima V2 and my brother in law has not had any issues with them on his Optima that he has had for a couple years. We don't baby our guns either. I would venture to guess that out of the great many they have sold there has been a small number that has actually broke one. I paid $229 for my Optima V2 brand new, if they break I will go fork out the 20 bucks and fix it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back