A couple from this summer.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhillshunter

Reaction score
I love hunting, but have really gotten into wiper fishing the last couple of years. Thought I would share a couple we caught one night. We had a lot of boats around us this night, and most were not catching anything. I heard the closest boat (20 yards) cuss every time we landed one. One of the best nights fishing I've ever had! We landed 10 wipers that were 24" or better. Biggest of the night was 29". Those in the pictures are two-28.5's and one-24.5. All fish were released.

Attachments

• 28.5 Wiper (2).jpg
    28.5 Wiper (2).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 24.5 Wiper.jpg
    24.5 Wiper.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 28.5 Wiper.jpg
    28.5 Wiper.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 15
I grew up on Long Island and spent many nights hunting Stripers. I had to look up “Wipers” after realizing your post could not have the same spelling error that many times. Interesting…

When my oldest grandson was 5, we got into some wipers boiling on the surface. My buddy and I spent our time unhooking for him and his little friend. My grandson is a fisherman for life after that experience. The ones we were catching weren't anywhere near that big. Tell us what your secret is.

When my oldest grandson was 5, we got into some wipers boiling on the surface. My buddy and I spent our time unhooking for him and his little friend. My grandson is a fisherman for life after that experience. The ones we were catching weren't anywhere near that big. Tell us what your secret is.

First, we were with a local guide that knows the lake. Second, and probably the most important. We were fishing during the alewife spawn. The wipers go nuts feeding on them. While we always fish from boats, these fish were all caught within 10 yards of the bank. The wipers move into the shallows after the alewife and it is truly something to see and hear. They hit like a freight train!

Back