A few new ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm shooting triple 7, so hoppes won't work, not water based. I use a citrus cleaner not sure it would work.
I can see you are very curious about the permatex thread sealant . Ive never had an issue , at least to me , getting it off . The last i bougjt it cost was about $12 . Thats nothin . Ive rolled the dice on alot more than that many times . If you were all thst pleased with what you are using now you wouldnt keep coming back to ask . It doesnt dissolve , it more or less comes off in pieces and sections . It was designed to be a thread sealant just like its name implies and its a damn good one . The hoppes not working is a powder issue not a permatex issue . There is nothing else used around here that has been mentioned that betters it . Nothing . Who says your citrus stuff wont work ?
I'm shooting triple 7, so hoppes won't work, not water based. I use a citrus cleaner not sure it would work.

I can see you are very curious about the permatex thread sealant . Ive never had an issue , at least to me , getting it off . The last i bougjt it cost was about $12 . Thats nothin . Ive rolled the dice on alot more than that many times . If you were all thst pleased with what you are using now you wouldnt keep coming back to ask . It doesnt dissolve , it more or less comes off in pieces and sections . It was designed to be a thread sealant just like its name implies and its a damn good one . The hoppes not working is a powder issue not a permatex issue . There is nothing else used around here that has been mentioned that betters it . Nothing . Who says your citrus stuff wont work ?
Gentlemen i realize that the things ive said youve never heard of before . Fair enough . Yes OUR guns are very much prized possesions and WE dont want to harm them in ANY way . I didnt join DWB to harm anyone or their rifles . Im 60 yrs. old and no newbie at much of anything . Engineering a better way has been my lifes work . Ive had great success doing just that not just as a hobby but also at the professional level . I REFUSE to steer anyone in a wrong path on anything intentionally . Im a bit of a perfectionist and wont rest till i acheive it or as close as humanly possible . I also freely share my discoverys . Im not tuggin anybodys taffy with what i share . I say this so you may come to know just what im about . If im not straight i wont shoot , and THAT is THAT .

I will stick (pun intended) to what works for me an have on hand. If/when that runs out I will give the permatex a try. Thanks for the info....

Lol !!! That was funny !!! Your welcome ,and have a good day.....

The only reason i dont recommend the moly paste to people is its a real pain getting it off anything it touches.

The only reason i dont recommend the moly paste to people is its a real pain getting it off anything it touches.
That it is lol !!! Hey if you ever get tired of those black finger prints here there and everywhere ...(.I know i did) give this stuff a try . They function , result wise , alot alike . Plugs clean up pretty easily , i honestly just use a rag sweeping along the threads with my thumb in the direction theyre cut . I follow up with a tooth brush . The female theads i use a chamber brush in a loosening direction till clean , very easy . Fresh out of the bottle its thick , kinda like a cross between peanut butter and choclate syrup. ( i tbink i need to eat something ! ) i put it on with the brush in the bottle top on both the plug and the breech end . Just enough to fill the threads when smeared with my finger . Then assemble plug into place . When it dries it is no longer sticky to the touch . It is sufficently adhered to the threads that you can take it in and out several times without reapplying it . It is NICE !!! I think the snugging the bp while it is wet causes the adhesion , yet even after use with ANY kind of powder it effortlessly loosens . Even after much time . Its white so any fouling ever enters the threads it could easily be seen . You wont find any. If i had the money id rebottle it and put a gun product label on it and clean up !!! No kiddin . If nothing else you could win the best looking rifle in the woods award without any fingerprints at all . Now thats a trophy !!! That Sideshow's a character im tellin ya ....

The Honda moly for stuff like shaft splines was over 60% moly iirc? We also put it on the ring and pinion assembly. EVERYthing else that touched the moly paste got pitched. It took days for it to wear off your hands so gloves are a must unless you dont mind black fingers/hands.

Bores treated with moly products need repeated scrubbings to get it all out. WHAT A PAIN!!! Not a huge deal for conicals only but if you shoot sabots too it can be a nightmare.

The Honda moly for stuff like shaft splines was over 60% moly iirc? We also put it on the ring and pinion assembly. EVERYthing else that touched the moly paste got pitched. It took days for it to wear off your hands so gloves are a must unless you dont mind black fingers/hands.

Bores treated with moly products need repeated scrubbings to get it all out. WHAT A PAIN!!! Not a huge deal for conicals only but if you shoot sabots too it can be a nightmare.
Oh i know !!! One time my brain cell was so busy concentrateing when i was cleaning my .54 knight bk92 that i was oblivious to what i was doing . I had been out in the cold and was fixin to get sick . In the meantime my nose was really itchy that day.......well......guess what i looked like after that brain fart !!!! Lmao !!! Oh Lord its not easy being me ......

Oh i know !!! One time my brain cell was so busy concentrateing when i was cleaning my .54 knight bk92 that i was oblivious to what i was doing . I had been out in the cold and was fixin to get sick . In the meantime my nose was really itchy that day.......well......guess what i looked like after that brain fart !!!! Lmao !!! Oh Lord its not easy being me ......
That is when i started to re-think that moly idea i had.....lmao.....told ya i got how nasty it could be ....lol !!!!!!!!

That is when i started to re-think that moly idea i had.....lmao.....told ya i got how nasty it could be ....lol !!!!!!!!
Never could figure out knight's thinking on that stock . Underneath the textured black paint was the prettiest tiger stripped maple stock ive ever seen !!! Who woulda ever thunk that ???

Sorry im slow getting back . Was getting ready to head to northern Michigan( Kalkaska) with my friend . Do you use a mag-spark nipple too ? How deep is your hollow point on those Gould designs ? Composition ? Was at my buddies new cabin . Boy there are no deer to speak of around there !!! Good for ATV and thats about it !!!
Sorry, just saw this reply. I meant that i would like to see your setup for rifle primers. Are you putting them into those variflame adapters? Did you have to modify them or something?

Sorry, just saw this reply. I meant that i would like to see your setup for rifle primers. Are you putting them into those variflame adapters? Did you have to modify them or something?
No i purchased old stock mag --spark conversion nipples for sidelocks . Sadly that model is no longer available . Not all is lost as mag-spark and pendersoli have 209 versions now . I think variiflame has small rifle carriers . Www.prbullet.com . I have a pendersoli w federal209a on my bk--92 , a remington uml barrel also with a harrels brake that i feed 140grV blackhorn to with the barnes 275 460S&W xpb in a crush rib sabot . It ROCKS as well . No blowback !!! No fazt reloads eitber !!! Good thing ive never had a buck stand around after the shot 'eh ??? Lol.....

Last edited:
No i purchased old stock mag --spark conversion nipples for sidelocks . Sadly that model is no longer available . Not all is lost as mag-spark and pendersoli have 209 versions now . I think variiflame has small rifle carriers . Www.prbullet.com . I have a pendersoli w federal209a on my bk--92 , a remington uml barrel also with a harrels brake that i feed 140grV blackhorn to with the barnes 275 460S&W xpb in a crush rib sabot . It ROCKS as well . No blowback !!! No fazt reloads eitber !!! Good thing ive never had a buck stand around after the shot 'eh ??? Lol.....
Yeah i bet that takes a minute or two to reprime and reload

I know. Once i broke thru the "sabots are better" brain washing i found a hole new love for MLs.
I did what i did with my 410 and the shotgun wad just to see if i could reproduce what i had with my bk--92 using blackhorn . I had sucess beyond what i couldve possibly imagined . However , yesterday i learned from GM54--120 and Busta how to do it with a conical and blackhorn !!!! My ignition system still must be used but it will open up a potenially whole new world of possibilities !!! Bless them boys !!! No more dirty powder once i get it sorted out !!! The lube thing as well , remember michiganmuzzy , i had no idea about that . Now i do !!! Its gonna come together !!! My wilson crown may mess with me but i found the spin--jag starter for oversize bullets if needed . If i dont like it ill just tighten up my slip fits and use T7 3F. That little 410 has a bright future !!! Im very excited about it in the days ahead . Its a wonderfull rifle to shoot and has amazing accuracy potential yet to be with conicals . I intend to enlarge its terminal preformance as well . Its not giving up much to a 460gr 451 now , only the size of its mushroom !!! I'll share what i learn happily with all my DWB brothers . It will apply to us all if wanted . I may have shot up my fancy hot rod stuff for this coming season , but thats ok , i got back so much more for the future !!! Thank you all responsible for this smile that just wont quit !!!

Last edited:
Ok seems i kinda missed the gist of your question , lets fix that . The mag--spark comversion nipple for sidelocks on the super 91 is for bare small rifle primers . Its made that way to use them bare . I use federals because they are soft and very consistant . I had to sand the pocket with 400 grit sand paper around a drill bit by hand to get the fit i wanted during a range session . Sticking was the issue . I also shimed them to help extraction , they are a little bit higher than the hole they sit in and looser near the top than when deeper in the nipple . The primer hole is slightly tapered is what im trying to say . This is not a set up for cold or fumbly fingers !!! The top of the nipple screws on with the firing pin mounted in it . Honestly it IS a pita !!! BUT there is NO OTHER WAY to readily use a small rifle primer , 209 , or even with a variflame a LRMP or a SRP in a plunger rifle . No other way without flying primers like a oem setup for them !!! With the White plug its pretty darn close to Direct Ignition !!! How bad do you want to use blackhorn and what are you willing to sacrifice to do it is the question !!! How bad do you want to eliminate corrosion ??? Pretty bad in my case !!! You see i had a goal in mind . Got a buddy with a paramount and he would call my super 91 archaic junk constantly .......he doesnt laugh anymore , i do !!! When the hammer dropped the bullshit stopped ..... We STILL got them covered !!!
The pendersoli 209 sidelock conversion nipple for the bk--92 i tuned it for extraction as well along with the breech plug , drilling the flame channel and installed a Lehigh vent liner on its original plug . It stays pretty darn clean and works great .
These nipples can be used on Really Big Bore sidelocks with enormous powder charges of 200gr of bp !!!!!! I think they will hold up .

As always , the choice is yours .

As far as a fast reload goes i honestly dont worry about that . A faulty #11 that failed to fire , yes ive had THOSE !!! But ive NEVER had a mature buck stand around after the "CLICK" !!! Let the cussin commence !!! NO MORE !!! Im also a pretty meticulas shooter especially on longer ones . Personally i believe a good wing shooter with a low power optic is a better deer shot as well if things get frantic . Field of view MATTERS with both eyes open . Oops i rambled again , sorry . I hope this answered your question michiganmuzzy .

Last edited:
The pendersoli has pics online . Check it out .
That Gould is a nice bullet . As he developed it , it came to have a .400 deep hp . Dont remember the dia though . Excellamt design !!! Newer moulds usuallu dont . The hollow point guy.com , i believe , can fix that or just about any mould you want a hp.in

Latest posts

Back