A Guide for the New Muzzleloader Shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the incredibly speedy response. I was told this is one of the best forums. It shows. I've been reading different threads and feel like I've been to school. I'll post pics and such after I figure it out.

Safe shooting,
Key

Ditto, great write up. Looking to get something western legal for big game and something my daughters can handle. Very helpful process to help think through it all.

i watched a video of a well known member who hunts on a clean barrel, swabs between every shot with 50/50 solution iso alchohol&hoppes. this is what i plan to do except i will run a patch down and fire off primer before loading. i have read a ton about fouling the bore, but if i follow the above my only issue would be to make sure where the second shot hits in case i need a follow up shot. any thoughts would be appreciated. shooting a knight mountaineer bh209 harvestor whitelightnings green sabot thanks

I always foul my bore with a cap or two before loading. I'm more concerned about the first shot and where that hits coming from a clean barrel. With blackhorn 209, swabbing between shots isn't really necessary in my own limited experience with it.

Do you think it would beneficial when shooting a tight fitting sabot? I have shot this combo a half dozen times without swaying and loading did seem to get harder

i watched a video of a well known member who hunts on a clean barrel, swabs between every shot with 50/50 solution iso alchohol&hoppes. this is what i plan to do except i will run a patch down and fire off primer before loading. i have read a ton about fouling the bore, but if i follow the above my only issue would be to make sure where the second shot hits in case i need a follow up shot. any thoughts would be appreciated. shooting a knight mountaineer bh209 harvestor whitelightnings green sabot thanks

Hunting with a clean barrel has several advantages.

One of the keys to accuracy is consistency. Your barrel will always be in the same condition on that first shot through a clean barrel.

Secondly, your barrel is not sitting around with corrosive residue in it for several days. Any rust is not a good thing in a barrel.

Firing a primer before loading makes sure you have a dry flame channel and is a good idea in my opinion.

Also, make sure you clean the flame channel of excess carbon on a regular basis.
(Find a small drill bit that will barely go through the clean flame channel.)

Latest posts

Back