a HUGE thank you and a question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkmate

Reaction score
Hi All,

I posted a thread a bit ago titled "Newbie Help" and received a bunch of great guidance. Not all was used, but all was digested and stored for future reference. A giant thank you to all of you who help me get on my way.

This muzzleloading adventure has been quite a bit of fun, I definitely got the bug. I figured I would put up some of my results to show what I did and hopefully it will help some others who may have similar questions.

My setup is:
-CVA Accura V2
-Harvester Scorpion White Lightning 300 gr bullet
-Blackhorn 209 (tried 100 and 110 grain charges)
-Harvester Sabots (tried EZ Load and Crush Rib)
-Federal 209A primer

IMG_2987.JPG

This target shows my first 3 shot group at 118 yards with 100 grains of BH209 and EZ load sabots (the range I shoot at recently had some remodeling so the target berm is 18 yards further back). POA was dead center of the target. I "think" the flyer was my fault but am not 100% sure.

My second group was after a scope adjustment of 1" to the left. POA was dead center of the bottom right aiming point. Group was just over 0.75" center to center at the same 118 yards.

The third group on this target was a 5 shot group with a 100 grain charge and a crush rib sabot. POA was dead center of the bottom left aiming point on the target. Group was 2" center to center. This sabot loaded MUCH easier - I think too easy. It took just over the weight of my range rod to seat the bullet (maybe 5-10 lbs of pressure).
IMG_2992.JPG

This target shows a 4 shot group with 110 grain charge of BH209 with the EZ Load sabots. I didn't even measure this group... it was pretty clear my gun liked the 100 grain charge. POA was dead center.

The lowest hole was from a "finder shot" with the crush rib sabots. I wanted more of a center of target hold in case it wandered to much on me. Edit: for clarification - the POA was at the bottom of the diamond and noted on the target, not a true center hold.
IMG_2991.JPG

My biggest question is:
I went for about a 2" high group at 100 yards on purpose. When I shot the group at the bottom right aiming point with EZ load Sabots and the bottom left with the Crush Rib Sabots, there was no scope adjustment. Did the group drop by ~2" just because of the difference in the sabots or is there not enough pressure being built/retained by the Crush Rib and the round is leaving the barrel with less energy?

I guess one way to answer it would be to chrono the different loads, however, I don't have a chrono. I thought others may just know the answer from experience.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
A snug fitting sabot, 20# of pressure or more may give better repeatable results. Good luck.

The EZ Load sabot required much more pressure to load than the Crush Rib. I don't have a great estimate, but I'm sure it was over 20 lbs. Maybe 40 lbs? Maybe I'll try loading it on my scale sometime and figure that out.

Back