A little humor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Thanks, Encore. Maybe someday when my daughter no longer qualifies as a dependent on my tax return, I'll also find some new and safer way to get bugs in my teeth in whatever Brave New World we live in then. I appreciate you sharing your success story in returning to Happiness Behind Handlebars. You've restored my hope!

I imagine it was just a different world of tougher for you to say goodbye to your handworked custom Harley, than it was for me to offload a $900 secondhand stock Honda Rebel 250. Like I said, used primarily as an in-town commuter bike - but it was enough to put my face in the wind exploring paved rural county roads on sunny Saturday mornings and it sure was helpful to our checkbook during $4/gallon gas days in Colorado after the 2008 meltdown. I had sold my CBR600 to pay for repairs on my parents' home a few years prior, another situation in which I've never regretted my decision but lament the circumstances that made it necessary. Now, THAT bike, I still miss!

Had to comment, I also was more of a street bike fan in my twenties. CBR600's were hot little bikes, they ran strong. I had a Suzuki Katana 600 and then a GSXR 750.
They sure are fun as heck to get out on a twisty road. The GSXR had taller foot pegs and a shorter wheel base, I could lay that thing over much farther than the Katana. Scrapping a foot peg while laid over in a corner sure gives a guy a heart attack.
After a couple of years I realized that if I wanted to live to a ripe old age I needed to get away from the darn things, I just loved the quick acceleration and laying them over into corners way too much. They were terrible for much of a distance ride, just flat uncomfortable.
I found that the first 3 months I started riding I had close calls frequently with people pulling out in front of me and also changing lanes into me. Then it seemed like a switch was suddenly flipped and I hardly ever had a close call. Obviously the other drivers didn't get better, I just finally learned to ride very defensively. I realized I was riding in blind spots and quit doing that. I also vividly remember the day that I realized I could identify most of the people who were going to pull out in front of me. It wasn't the ones who raced up to an intersection with their head on a swivel because they were in a rush...it was the ones who pulled up and then seemed to be staring you straight in the eyes...like they were looking into your very soul...but then would just pull right out in front of you. I've always been a little slow on the uptake lol, I realized that they seemed to be looking straight into your eyes because they were looking right through you and didn't see you at all.

Had to comment, I also was more of a street bike fan in my twenties. CBR600's were hot little bikes, they ran strong. I had a Suzuki Katana 600 and then a GSXR 750.
They sure are fun as heck to get out on a twisty road. The GSXR had taller foot pegs and a shorter wheel base, I could lay that thing over much farther than the Katana. Scrapping a foot peg while laid over in a corner sure gives a guy a heart attack.
After a couple of years I realized that if I wanted to live to a ripe old age I needed to get away from the darn things, I just loved the quick acceleration and laying them over into corners way too much. They were terrible for much of a distance ride, just flat uncomfortable.
I found that the first 3 months I started riding I had close calls frequently with people pulling out in front of me and also changing lanes into me. Then it seemed like a switch was suddenly flipped and I hardly ever had a close call. Obviously the other drivers didn't get better, I just finally learned to ride very defensively. I realized I was riding in blind spots and quit doing that. I also vividly remember the day that I realized I could identify most of the people who were going to pull out in front of me. It wasn't the ones who raced up to an intersection with their head on a swivel because they were in a rush...it was the ones who pulled up and then seemed to be staring you straight in the eyes...like they were looking into your very soul...but then would just pull right out in front of you. I've always been a little slow on the uptake lol, I realized that they seemed to be looking straight into your eyes because they were looking right through you and didn't see you at all.
Sad but true facts.

... Then it seemed like a switch was suddenly flipped and I hardly ever had a close call. Obviously the other drivers didn't get better, I just finally learned to ride very defensively.
Sounds like my progression, exactly. But then people got hooked on smart phones, tinted windows became more standard, and it all just became infinitely more challenging for me to "predict" who's going to do what and when.

I guess about 10 years ago, the first generation of kids who had grown up with their faces glued to their pocket screens was joining the commuting workforce, and a few weeks of Driver's Ed wasn't enough to supplant several developmental years of being constantly connected to the digital universe. Then it seemed older and older people started taking those pups' lead. Within 3-4 years of Apple releasing the iPhone, the value of my crotch rocket experience got reset back to the same hazard level I'd known as a rookie rider.

The closest I can allow myself to get to the biking community nowadays is to make dang sure I see every rider on my horizon, communicate affirmatively with them by using eye contact, signals, etc., and give them as much room as possible all the time, every time - even the apparent beginners who don't demonstrate much wisdom yet in how they operate. Because once, that was ME on the bike, with limited experience. My life is very satisfying now, and I am grateful to everyone who didn't help me cut my life short then.

And I have never needed a Distracted Driving law to reinforce for me the importance of giving my undivided attention to piloting a 2-ton missile on public roadways. ABS, airbags, radar/digital camera based collision avoidance, electronic lane position systems, etc. are all great but none of that technology has negated any of Sir Isaac Newton's Laws of Motion. I still think every high schooler should have to pass a basic Physics Related to Motor Vehicles test before being allowed to get a learner's permit. Keep the math very simple, but reinforce the concept that NONE of those laws change. None of that grading-on-a-curve crap, either: 100% to pass.

https://cdn.slidesharecdn.com/ss_th...034544-phpapp02-thumbnail-4.jpg?cb=1403063167

Last edited:
Here ya go guys. Every woman likes flowers on Mothers Day....get the little lady a garden full of these guys.

w9UVQW2.jpg

Makes perfect sense to me
So everyone should be naked and wear pants on their heads.
👍 got it.

So everyone should be naked and wear pants on their heads.
👍 got it.
I was already doin that, Iäm peekin thru my zipper hole with one eye typin this reply. But now I'm noticin that I am gettin some pretty strange looks & sounds from others in the laundry mat. Sorry theyre not as proactive as I

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back