A little redemption.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was warm this fall and I spent most of Oct and early Nov fishing crappie rather than deer hunting. Then in early Nov the place I’ve been hunting for a number of years got sold so I had to get my stands off of it and I missed most of our rifle season.
This week is our late muzzleloader season and I was ahead at work so I was only planning to work Monday and Tuesday.
I went out Sunday afternoon and right about sunset I saw a lone deer approaching. I waited until it got into an opening in the trees at about 60 yards and fired. I couldn’t really see where it went but I knew where it didn’t go. I searched for an hour, no blood, no hair, no deer. I went back Monday and spent another hour looking in better light but came up empty. I have no idea how but apparently a clean miss.
I didn’t have time to check the zero on the rifle so I headed out today with a different gun. It started snowing lightly this morning and built through the day, no luck this morning so this afternoon I headed back to where I was Sunday.
About sunset I saw a deer coming through the open hardwoods, it stopped at about 60 or 70 yards and saw me move my rifle. It knew something wasn’t right but hung around too long and I put a 250 grain Shockwave through its lungs.
The season runs through Sunday so I’ll be at it for a few more days.
75ACE05C-7EDB-4D68-B530-55E5A3A16D6E.jpegECE8FE90-D5FF-4EFB-9083-4DE9B89E3CE4.jpeg

Congratulations! Maybe your first gun is off somehow. I shot my optima V2 after not getting a shot in early muzzleloader season and it was loaded since October. Turned out it was shooting to the left and low. I don't know how, but it was. Just a thought..

Back