A new Challenge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have decided to Start Casting, and Shooting Some Cast Bullets in my little .308 Win, Long Range with Centerfire Cast is Something you don’t hear a Whole Lot about? I am always up for a Challenge, So here we go :lewis:

This is one of the Bullets i Plan to Start with, Lyman 311299, I just Cast These Yesterday, I am waiting on another Mold that i am Quite excited about, I should have it Soon. This is VERY Different Casting than i am use to!!! Lyman #2 Alloy is some Serious HARD Stuff Compared to my Muzzleloader Bullets :eek:

My first attempt at Rifle Cast, a Success :lewis: But i did find it Challenging to get Perfect, Flawless Bullets, Some DEFINITE Learning Curves to Casting this Stuff!!
F2dYxnEl.jpg

xVjbrSIl.jpg

The other Mold i am Waiting on
7SRp5tKl.jpg

A comparison of my new Cast bullet between 2 Jacketed Bullets i Shoot. 155 Berger Hybrid Target on Left, and 168 Grain Nosler Accubond LR On Right
aNbkHUil.jpg

Awesome looking bullets Lew! How fast do you shoot a bullet like that vs the jacketed bullets? I have only cast for my BPCR guns . Speaking of which I just ordered a new Shiloh hunting rifle in 45/110.

You gonna try that BLL lube ?? I would !!! Center fire guys really like it . I sure liked the accuracy i got . Dont leave much behind either Lewis , includeing lead . I intended to swab after every shot so it didnt matter to me for the super 91 to be kinda dry in the bore afterwards . Even with T7 it cleaned right up after 2 passes with a patch . I love the accuracy !!!!

Mr Lewis
Wow those are some great looking cast bullets you have done. Can't wait to see how they shoot for you. I have shot a lot of different casters conicals BUT Mr Lewis produces some of the finest looking and shooting lead I have ever seen or tried.
He is definitely a guroo at casting

Awesome looking bullets Lew! How fast do you shoot a bullet like that vs the jacketed bullets? I have only cast for my BPCR guns . Speaking of which I just ordered a new Shiloh hunting rifle in 45/110.

I read an Article/Thread Where a Guy was Shooting this Particular 200 Grain Bullet to 1,000 Yards, His Average Velocity was 2,350 FPS, That’s Scooting along pretty Darn Good for Cast! But that other Other Mold i have on the Way, That Particular Bullet has been Pushed over 2,500 FPS with No problems. A good Lube is No Doubt IMPORTANT! White Label 2500 + is Spoken Highly of By the Fellas That Know this Stuff well. I bought a Pound of it to Try :lewis:

You gonna try that BLL lube ?? I would !!! Center fire guys really like it . I sure liked the accuracy i got . Dont leave much behind either Lewis , includeing lead . I intended to swab after every shot so it didnt matter to me for the super 91 to be kinda dry in the bore afterwards . Even with T7 it cleaned right up after 2 passes with a patch . I love the accuracy !!!!

That BLL is Suppose to be DARN Good Stuff, I have been doing a lot of Research on this Stuff, and Ben’s liquid Lube is Spoken Highly of, I even See where it is used in Junction with other Stuff like this White Label 2500 +

Lewis those are some DAM FINE lookin bullets! I'm thinking those would be most excellent in my 03 Springfield sporter. I'm watching for your progress:lewis:

I Bet these would Shoot REALLY well in that 03 Springfield :lewis: We can make that Happen. I am waiting on a Few more items (Bullet Sizer, and Neck Expander Die) Before i can Start Testing. I will keep posting Results on my Progress

Wonder how those would work out of my '06 Savage 110. It loves 180's and i bet 200 grainers will be just as sccurate.
DL

I Bet these would Shoot REALLY well in that 03 Springfield :lewis: We can make that Happen. I am waiting on a Few more items (Bullet Sizer, and Neck Expander Die) Before i can Start Testing. I will keep posting Results on my Progress
Youve been really quiet for awhile now . Huuummm ???

Cast from a 5 Cavity NOE 310-165-FN (30 XCB) Bullet Mold I bought from another Forum member. This Bullet design has proven itself at longer Ranges (500-600 Yards)

Hjx6fswl.jpg

Cast of Lyman #2 Alloy, and Gas Checked
uLW13fam.jpg

Standing beside the Lyman 200 Grain Bullet
ca1diCLm.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-30_3-13-16.gif
    upload_2020-1-30_3-13-16.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have found Cast in Centerfire to be a Fun Challenge so far, Lyman #2 Casts VERY Different than Soft Lead, Through 1-20 Alloy, It’s a VERY different Game that’s for sure!!

The Weather has been Tough on me Doing this, about 5 Foot of Snow just up the Rd where i Shoot, Hard to find a Place to Shoot that i can Access reasonably easy. We stil have all of February to go, March Can be rough here as well
QkNkU1r.jpg

This was preparing for my MAIDEN VOYAGE

I customized/Opened a Cheap Lee .309 Push Through Sizer to EXACTLY .310, and it’s actually a True .310, when you Roll the Bullet it Stays a Concentric .310, I was gonna go 0.001 Case Neck Tension (.309 Expander Plug) But decided to Test 1/2 that First at 0.0005 (309.5 Expander Plug) They Hold Good n Snug, I FULLY trust them to Hold good here, Unless they were Handled Ridiculously Rough, Dropped Directly on the Nose Etc.
x12JzGgm.jpg

I THOROUGHLY Cleaned my Rifle Bore Yesterday, Fully Stripped it down to Bare Steel, Then Played With Seating Depth to Lands, This is Jammed up against the Lands
M5MI6qdl.jpg

The Gas check is Seated Nicely in the Bottom of the Case Neck, They look Good
I43YbhKm.jpg

Gonna Run out and Test these Real Quick, I’m not expecting much, Fully CLEAN Bore, Just a Trial Run to make Sure they Go BOOM upload_2020-1-30_3-32-10.gif My jacketed loads are 45.5 Grains of Varget, These are 40 Grains on the Dot
mhd1axTl.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-30_3-32-10.gif
    upload_2020-1-30_3-32-10.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1
Better than I expected for my Very first Go Around

Target is 70-80 Yards
HcFZJsom.jpg

My first (Cold Clean Bore) Shot was put in the End of a SOLID Block of Tamarack Firewood so i could dig it out Later and see how it did? The bullet Traveled about 12” This stuff is DENSE/HARD Wood, This stuff weighs TWICE what a Piece of Douglas Fir would weigh, There’s a good reason it is Rated #1 for Heat BTU Here upload_2020-1-30_3-35-54.gif
G850LWpm.jpg

IRaSOICl.jpg

Pretty impressive Mushroom for a HARD Bullet! I found the Gas Check Right with the Bullet
xfORtONl.jpg

VpZ0ms5l.jpg

The Bullet left the Barrel Weighing 166.2 Grains, Traveling at 2,530 fps
ecjGMBym.jpg

My first Shot on Target was 3” LOW, it felt good so i made an Adjustment. NO IDEA what happened on Shot #4? It felt good, but went left. Not making excuses, But There was a Guy pulling a Snowmobile Trailer sitting Behind me Waiting for me to Shoot my 4 Shots on Target so he Could Park in this Spot, I hurried through my Shots
vdF5KLQl.jpg

And my Velocity, 2,530 Fps
UY8Wjiol.jpg

I slowed them down a little bit, MUCH Better Results, No explanation for Shot #1 and #5? My Rifle has 20 Cast Bullet Shots through it now Total, I know this Rifle takes 10-12 Shots from a Thoroughly Cleaned Bore before it will Settle Down, Maybe what was happening here with Shot 1 and 5? I can see it’s Gonna Shoot this bullet well, Just a little more tinkering and I’ll be Ready to Go Loooong :lewis:

10 Shots Total, 8 in the Group, The 1st shot and 5th Shot are out? I made a mistake and Marked the lower right Shot #2, it was Shot #5, I was able to Correct it with an editor tool, You can Clearly see it in the Video above.
uynhl2Pl.jpg

I dropped the Powder Charge down to 39 Grains, This stil might be a Little Fast? I plan to try 38 Grains Next, I’m load Developing Backwards upload_2020-1-30_3-42-3.gif:)
L2nGOzDl.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-30_3-37-37.gif
    upload_2020-1-30_3-37-37.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1
You know your mold is to HOT when you drop your Bullets and they Break :roll: Look at how they perform in the Wood Test Above, Perfect Mushroom Ball :lewis: You wouldn’t think this is the Same Stuff? But it is! Like i said above, this is a VERY VERY Different Game!! I find the Casting part MUCH more Challenging than Soft Muzzleloader Bullets

QgNClgpl.jpg

Latest posts

Back