A pretty good 500 yard target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
The picture is a facsimile of a 500 yard [MR 65] target that I shot at the NRA registered Mid-Range Regional Championship this August. I always plot each shot that I take during a match so I can have a record of every shot, DSC_0117.JPGrelay, distance fired, and the score. I also record the wind speed and direction and any other info that I feel is helpful.
The rules specify only 4 sighting shots before you fire your 10 shots for score in a 30 minute time limit. Fired from prone X-sticks, shoulder rest only. The 10 ring is 10 inches in diameter. Shooters are divided into squads of 3 people who take turns shooting, spotting, and working in the pits pulling targets.
I used a Shiloh sharps 40-70 SS with a 14 1/2 twist barrel, and a 440 grain bullet pushed by 66 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 powder, wiped with 1 damp patch between shots. I shot the third relay and the wind was starting to get switchy so you really had to pay attention to the wind flags. Ended up with a 97-3X. X

The picture is a facsimile of a 500 yard [MR 65] target that I shot at the NRA registered Mid-Range Regional Championship this August. I always plot each shot that I take during a match so I can have a record of every shot, View attachment 16059relay, distance fired, and the score. I also record the wind speed and direction and any other info that I feel is helpful.
The rules specify only 4 sighting shots before you fire your 10 shots for score in a 30 minute time limit. Fired from prone X-sticks, shoulder rest only. The 10 ring is 10 inches in diameter. Shooters are divided into squads of 3 people who take turns shooting, spotting, and working in the pits pulling targets.
I used a Shiloh sharps 40-70 SS with a 14 1/2 twist barrel, and a 440 grain bullet pushed by 66 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 powder, wiped with 1 damp patch between shots. I shot the third relay and the wind was starting to get switchy so you really had to pay attention to the wind flags. Ended up with a 97-3X. X
excellant shooting

Back