A Really Good Day in the Rock Pit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
We had a really decent amount of early snow here and it has been slow melting off. Three/four Weeks ago I drove out to the rock Pit hoping to get in to do some shooting. Not a chance! the road was clogged with snow plus the County had plowed out turn around are and built a large berm of snow over the beginning of the Pit road. Well, yesterday, I decided to run out and take a look at the conditions. To my surprise a travel pass had been pushed through the berm and the road had been traveled and the pit was now accessible.

My main reason for this shooting trip was to shoot some bullets that I have had since 2017 but have never really given then a really good look see.

This is a picture of the 40 cal. projectiles that Lehigh has made at one time or the other. The 40x200 CF-HP has long been a real favorite of mine. Second bullet from the left. But the 230 grain bullets have long been something I really wanted to try. The two bullets on the right. One being what Lehigh call a 'broach' nose and one with slit petals. The 'broach' nose was designed to work down to 1200 fps. and the Slit petals down to 750 fps.

Lehigh_40_Cal..jpg

I also ran the Ballistics on these bullets - They print out really nice.

40x230_to_450_yd..jpg

Anyway here is a picture page of the outing.

2-10-937-Rock-Pit.jpg

Attachments

• 1644615181794.jpeg
    1644615181794.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks like it was a fun day. I need to get out and do some shooting myself, I've been in the house too long. Thanks for sharing.

I got to stop in one of these days and visit. You're about 8 hours from me and I get up in your neighborhood once in a while.

I got to stop in one of these days and visit. You're about 8 hours from me and I get up in your neighborhood once in a while.

I am still here... come on up anytime we can catch up. The fishing isn't the best up here but it is really good in the Lewiston area... not that I fish but I know you do!

I always enjoy your Rock Pit Reports. Been reading them for years and they've helped me decide on ML purchases plus bullets, powders, loads, accessories, modifications . . .

Thanks for all your time and effort to share firsthand information.

"One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun

GBG - thank you for the Thank you!!!

I just really enjoy shooting a ML and sharing the fun - well most of the time it is fun, but there are times....

If everything goes well the next report should come from the 'Dinger Farm' depending on if the winter wheat field has dried enough to walk on. If it is still muddy it is icky stuff!

When I saw Little Boulder, I said, "That is just down the road."

Latest posts

Back