**A warning about felt wads**

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
I just took delivery of 500 .58 cal lubed felt wads for use in my .54 cal Hawken - per the advice of many, many members.

This is my dog, Gryphon. He's a patrol dog. And, yes, he's an idiot.

IMG_20190831_110636495_BURST003~2.jpg

My dog got it in his cement-filled head that my shot wads were treats. Chaos ensued:

Attach52659_20200602_092103~2.jpg

What makes lubed felt wads so delicious?

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the making of this post. 1 wad was severely chewed (which was funny as hell to watch - like watching a dog deal with a spoonful of peanut butter) but spat out.

JC, your posts kill me...I think our dogs should have been born goats. Those little buggers will chew up anything.
I don’t know how anything can get ahold of a crappy diaper (grandkids, not mine) and think that’s a nice thing to chew on...Hmmmm...smells like crap, wonder how it tastes....

Ok, guys. Seriously. What are these things lubed with??? I got home tonight after a long day, and found that my lovely wife had put the wads in zip lock bag. I opened the bag and realized that they have a strong, minty smell

I thought maybe the dog was on to something. Maybe he realized how bad his breath is. I know Lewis has tried to squeeze the lube out by standing on them, but has anyone tried tasting one? Like a breath mint? Should I even post this? Have I gone nuts? No, I'm not putting those damn things in my mouth... I'm not gonna waste another one... I should stop typing now. I've said too much... 😒

Don't judge me!!

JC, your posts kill me

And SD, if you take a look at my profile pic, you'll see that it's plainly obvious that a serious thought rarely crosses my brain.

-Jim

Ok, guys. Seriously. What are these things lubed with??? I got home tonight after a long day, and found that my lovely wife had put the wads in zip lock bag. I opened the bag and realized that they have a strong, minty smell

I thought maybe the dog was on to something. Maybe he realized how bad his breath is. I know Lewis has tried to squeeze the lube out by standing on them, but has anyone tried tasting one? Like a breath mint? Should I even post this? Have I gone nuts? No, I'm not putting those damn things in my mouth... I'm not gonna waste another one... I should stop typing now. I've said too much... 😒

Don't judge me!!

And SD, if you take a look at my profile pic, you'll see that it's plainly obvious that a serious thought rarely crosses my brain.

-Jim
I think they may just be soggy Certs.

Don't those people running around the ring at dog shows on TV use minty flavored dog treats that your dog Gryphon saw while watching TV with you? That's where he picked up the idea. He thought you were going to start some new training regime and the wonder wads were a treat!

JC, I can definitely relate. My four month old Lab ate my $5K hearing aids a couple weeks back. Never can tell what will catch a dog's fancy.

Don't judge me!!

-Jim
You know when we were little boys we ate boogers , and sulfer match tips, heck I would try one just see what it taste like

Lew, believe me, that was the first thing crossed my mind but after he looked at me with those big brown puppy eyes... well, you know.

Lol...yes, wonder wads can have wintergreen oil in the mix to make 'em smell nice. Who wants to smell tallow after it's gone rancid?

Back