A while to wait..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevyod

Reaction score
I bought my first muzzleloader recently, and have been enjoying working with it. I got someone to send me 30 lead bullets to try in a sabot before I purchased the mold. They seemed to work well, so I purchased the mold. It is the Lee .452-300 bullet. I cast 120 bullets out of a 1:20 alloy, and sized in a Lee .452 sizing die. I plan on using Harvester crush rib sabots and this bullet. This combo measures .500-.501. I really am looking forward to sticking these through a deer. That wide flat nose, and the soft alloy should really put a smackdown on deer. Problem is, muzzleloader season is pretty far away! So I guess it gives me more time to shoot!
As an aside, taking a muzzleloader to the range is really enjoyable! I am shooting T7 powder, so I am swabbing between each shot. Shooting it feels a lot more like a process than simply loading a loaded cartridge and shooting. I find that the process is relaxing. But you sure can't go and expect to shoot a lot in an hour! I average probably 8-10 shots in an hour.

I bought my first muzzleloader recently, and have been enjoying working with it. I got someone to send me 30 lead bullets to try in a sabot before I purchased the mold. They seemed to work well, so I purchased the mold. It is the Lee .452-300 bullet. I cast 120 bullets out of a 1:20 alloy, and sized in a Lee .452 sizing die. I plan on using Harvester crush rib sabots and this bullet. This combo measures .500-.501. I really am looking forward to sticking these through a deer. That wide flat nose, and the soft alloy should really put a smackdown on deer. Problem is, muzzleloader season is pretty far away! So I guess it gives me more time to shoot!
As an aside, taking a muzzleloader to the range is really enjoyable! I am shooting T7 powder, so I am swabbing between each shot. Shooting it feels a lot more like a process than simply loading a loaded cartridge and shooting. I find that the process is relaxing. But you sure can't go and expect to shoot a lot in an hour! I average probably 8-10 shots in an hour.
Congrats on your first muzzleloader. And its cool that you are going to cast your own conicals for it too.
When I'm shooting T7 & conicals I use a mix of 50/50 Windex/91% Isopropyl Alcohol in a small spray bottle to lightly mist the patch for swabbing the bore. I also use veggie wads between the bullet & powder.
Range time is far different than with any CF rifle for sure. I too love the whole process & spending an entire afternoon at my range & only shoot 15 shots or less is par for the course. I find it best - safest, to do my benchrest shooting with my muzzleloaders alone, no distractions that will facilitate potential costly mistakes during the loading procedure. Discipline yourself to not interact with anyone - talking or listening to anyone - while you are loading your muzzleloader right from the start. Believe me, that practice alone will save you from a bunch of things you really don't want to happen that will either ruin or stop your shooting early. Have fun!

Back