AC Gould did not make/design the Gould bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
I too like the Gould bullet. What I never understood is why it wasn't made in a smaller diameter (ML diameter)?
My original Alex Henry percussion double rifle made in 1866 (0.451") has a similar weight bullet 325 - but PP. I've seen other 45 original molds that are GG.
So, I did some internet reading and found some AC Gould bullet info as well as some history. One thing I've learned, it seems the time of the Gould bullet in the 45-70 was quite a few years past the ML era. I would conclude that there may be many good Cartridge bullets that mimic past ML bullets - but unfortunately one will never see a reference..

Attachments

• Goud 3.jpg
    Goud 3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 568
  • Gould 1.jpg
    Gould 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 568
  • Gould 2.jpg
    Gould 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 568
Re: AC Gould did not make the Gould bullet

Attachments

• Gould 4.jpg
    Gould 4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 567
All this talk about it lately, I got a custom made similar in .452 350 grn FN, 339 in HP.
Mountain molds made the block, I had custom Hollow point make one cavity into HP.
CutsnPM.jpg

Squeeze said:
All this talk about it lately, I got a custom made similar in .452 350 grn FN, 339 in HP.
Mountain molds made the block, I had custom Hollow point make one cavity into HP.
CutsnPM.jpg

Squeeze, NICE!!! :yeah: That is what i would rather have! Or just a pin made Like 52bore has done to the Lyman, i would like the option to go solid, or Hollow point.

Mountain Molds are here in Idaho as well, Cottonwood Idaho, That’s a Looooooong Ways South of me. He is who made the Original Bullshop .504~460 mold for Dan of Bullshop. I contacted Mountain Molds and asked about getting that EXACT mold made? He emailed back and told me he didn’t do any Blackpowder molds anymore. I ended up having Accurate do it.

I have one Cast Iron Mountain Mold and it is a joy to use. The guy is sure independent, I don't know why he is so against making molds for us muzzlestuffers.

I used the online design, and did what I wanted, then just hit buy. I guess If you can program the computer, he'll make it :)

Mountain has made me a few that way I have a 460 same thing, there's even a box for no crimp groove, so its basically a ML bullet
mSvgO4d.jpg

Squeeze said:
I used the online design, and did what I wanted, then just hit buy. I guess If you can program the computer, he'll make it :)

I think you are right :yeah: When i talked to Dan of Bullshop he told me that his mold was made by Mountain Molds, but he wasn’t sure if he could stil do them or not? Bullshop Dan thought he had changed his Computer Program or something like that?

Original 45 molds with similar weight from the 1800's the H&H bore scraper is not mine.

Attachments

• 450 Exp HH mold.jpg
    450 Exp HH mold.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 450 GG HP mold cavity.jpg
    450 GG HP mold cavity.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 489
  • 450 GL mold mini.jpg
    450 GL mold mini.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 489
A steel mold, 45 PP and similar weight.

OP - all this stuff was done before the Gould mold - before the cartridge was developed.
We can make any mold today - just as they did in the mid 1800's. I'd bet in the 1800's the variety to the extremes of bore sizes (molds) varied even more so than today.

Attachments

• 450 ML mold d.JPG
    450 ML mold d.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 489
I ordered an Accurate 50-410E mould last month. This is a design for a sabot to shoot out of .54 cal rifles. This past week I modified it on the mill to a hollow point design like a Lyman 457122. This is my first foray into shooting sabots. I've always shot bore sized bullets. I like a hollow point on deer, it gives them a tremendous slap.

admiral said:
I ordered an Accurate 50-410E mould last month. This is a design for a sabot to shoot out of .54 cal rifles. This past week I modified it on the mill to a hollow point design like a Lyman 457122. This is my first foray into shooting sabots. I've always shot bore sized bullets. I like a hollow point on deer, it gives them a tremendous slap.
What are your thoughts for shooting a sabot vs bore sized in this 54?

[/quote]
What are your thoughts for shooting a sabot vs bore sized in this 54?[/quote]

Well for one thing it's a breeze getting them to shoot. No load development at all. Before I committed to the Accurate mould I ordered a Lee 501-440-RF as a cheap $20 experiment to see how sabots would shoot out of my Knight LK and Rem 700ML .54's. With 100grs. Swiss 2F, MMP purple sabot with Lee bullet the groups were great. Little clover leafs with 1st shot on a clean bore and the two follow ups on a dirty bore. I never even tried another powder charge as it was that good. Shot a couple of deer (one deer with each rifle) with a 50/50 lead/wheel weight alloy. I like the fact that you aren't limited to pure lead or 40-1 like a bore size bullet. It's nice to custom size if needed to get easy but snug field reloading for hunting. I was going to try .500" 325gr. Speer jacked bullets as I was told on this site that it was the bullet to load in a .54 sabot. I bought a box and tried loading them on a clean barrel empty rifle with the breech plug out. It was so difficult in both rifles I scrapped that idea. Anyone need a 50 count box of Speers cheap? The new Accurate bullet has a great shape and with the home added hollow point I'm looking forward to field testing on some deer this fall.

Back