Accidential double load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, by accident I loaded my muzzleloader twice (i.e. from the breech powder, ball, powder, ball) so now I wounder, how do I solve this problem? How can I extract the extra ball out of the barrel?

Get the tool Encore50A indicated. Remove the first bullet, then use to the tool to loosen up the first charge and dump the powder. You may have to do this a few times until the tool reaches the second bullet. Then repeat the process until you get the second powder charge out.

This happened to me when I took the word of my son's friend that his ML was unloaded. Found out the ramrod would go down not too far. I decided to take the rifle home and unloaded it to find out there was not one but two additional charges in the ML besides the one I put in. Needless to say I gave that kid a good chewing out and put a notch onto his ramrod to indicate if the ML was not loaded.

What type of rifle? If it's an inline, you can unscrew the breech plug and just push the load out with your ramrod. If a side hammer, just follow Idaholewis advise.

It is really easy to pull a projectile with just a screw style ball puller, one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cen...uzzleloader+ball+puller&qid=1585832726&sr=8-4
I prefer a caliber specific one, that way the brass round disc is a good match with your bore and centers the screw into the projectile.

It is easiest if you can secure the ramrod (stand on the t-handle, run the ramrod through a small opening and then put a palm saver on the end, put it in a vice, etc.) and then pull on the RIFLE. I removed a stubborn stuck patch and ball a few years ago by using a milk crate. I threaded the ball puller into the ball, then stuck the other end of the ramrod through one of the milk crate openings, threaded my round palm saver onto the ramrod so it couldn't pass back through the opening, and then stood on the milk crate and pulled on the rifle. It came right out. When I had tried to first pull it by pulling on the ramrod it felt like I was going to need Hercules to do the pulling.
Putting some Kroil or something similar into the bore is a good idea to do first, to help lubricate things and to neutralize the powder charges. It will need to set in there a while to leach down past the patched RB's.
Make sure you have a pinned ramrod.

It's not going to be that hard to remove. Main thing is to not procrastinate and get it done right away...especially if you had done some shooting already and the bore is fouled with BP fouling. It will turn it into a sewer pipe in a short amount of time.

Another option on a Really Tight Fitting projectile is a Long Grease Zerk, For a Sidelock you need one of these Long Zerks, You can not get the Grease Gun fitting on the Standard Short Zerk Due to the “inset” of the Snail/Bolster

Like this, this is a 14-28, Will fit TC’s GM Barrels, Knights, Etc. Screw this in, snug it up, and Pump the Grease Gun, it will Push the TIGHT projectile out with ease
https://www.huyett.com/Products/Grease-Fittings-Lubrication/Fittings/Grease-Fittings/A1680

It is a good deal you didn't fire that rifle or you might not be telling us about it.🤩

It's very easy to get distracted especially at a public range. I dry balled once, but so far have not double loaded...or shot out the ramrod. 😲

Another tool to consider is The Gunner's Mate by The Lucky Bag.com

It is a 10-in-one multi-tool for muzzleloading. Of interest to this thread are the ball drill and the ball screw which are centered by a caliber specific sleeve. By drilling the hole first you eliminate the excessive enlargement of the ball that just screwing a screw into the ball causes. Allowing the ball to be pulled out of the bore much easier.

It requires a ramrod with female 10-32 threads on both ends of the rod. The brass t-handle allows you to apply good leverage to pull the ball.

It's pricey at $68.00, but it is made out of solid brass and steel, and IMO is a work of art. Worth every penny!!!

Bruce

Anyone using a compressed air discharger BEWARE!

Projectiles come out at a pretty good click despite what you might believe.

Broken off ramrods become arrows that go through cardboard boxes and into the paneled wall!

The guy that I used to work for got one of the load dischargers back when T/C first came out with one. A feller brought in his old sidehammer with a cleaning jag and section of broken ramrod stuck down the barrel. When he touched that thing off in the back room it sounded like a tire bead being seated. He came walking out and handed the guy his cleaning jag and rifle. When the guy left the shop, I was called into the back room to see the pile of cardboard the ramrod had penetrated and to see that better than 5" of ramrod was stuck through the paneling on the wall. He went outside to discharge every time after that!!

Just be careful where you are pointing the muzzle even though you are not lighting off powder!!

Marking the ramrod will tell a person they screwed up but; not prevent the error. I am old enough and easily distracted to just catch myslef in time a couple times.

Yep, done that a few times myself at the range. That's why I try not to engage in conversations while shooting my ML at the range.

It is really easy to pull a projectile with just a screw style ball puller, one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cen...uzzleloader+ball+puller&qid=1585832726&sr=8-4
I prefer a caliber specific one, that way the brass round disc is a good match with your bore and centers the screw into the projectile.

It is easiest if you can secure the ramrod (stand on the t-handle, run the ramrod through a small opening and then put a palm saver on the end, put it in a vice, etc.) and then pull on the RIFLE. I removed a stubborn stuck patch and ball a few years ago by using a milk crate. I threaded the ball puller into the ball, then stuck the other end of the ramrod through one of the milk crate openings, threaded my round palm saver onto the ramrod so it couldn't pass back through the opening, and then stood on the milk crate and pulled on the rifle. It came right out. When I had tried to first pull it by pulling on the ramrod it felt like I was going to need Hercules to do the pulling.
Putting some Kroil or something similar into the bore is a good idea to do first, to help lubricate things and to neutralize the powder charges. It will need to set in there a while to leach down past the patched RB's.
Make sure you have a pinned ramrod.

It's not going to be that hard to remove. Main thing is to not procrastinate and get it done right away...especially if you had done some shooting already and the bore is fouled with BP fouling. It will turn it into a sewer pipe in a short amount of time.

After getting by all these years without doing too many stupid things, I took the quick way out, change powders from 777 to pyrodex, didn't swab in between, and stuck a ball about eight or 10 inches in. It really locked up, so I drenched it with WD 40, and tried my CO2 discharger. That wouldn't work, and I didn't trust my ramrod to screw in. Returning about a mile to home, I took a piece of 7/16 cold roll, drilled a 1/8 hole in the center of one end and a 3/16 hole in the center of the other end of a piece long enough to reach the length of the bore with some left over. I brazed a 1/8th inch drill bit into the one hole, a 3/16 metal roofing screw into the other. Applied electrician tape to both ends of the rod, put the drill bit in, and just turning it by hand was able to drill approximately 1/2 inch. Reversed the rod, using vice grips on the rod, quite easily screwed it in to the existing hole. Removed the vice ggips, using a 6 inch piece of 1 inch pipe ahead of the vice grips that I reapplied, I quite easily Tapped the ball out. Now I do have a tool for future use that did work quite well. Of course I can't carry it hunting but such things as this generally happened as the range Where I get to experimenting and where I am better equipped.
Squint

Last edited:
That was slick.

I questioned in another thread, although it might have been your sister website, Muzzleloader, that it would be be helpful if sidelocks like TC or now Lyman provided a small plug screw at the rear center of the patent breech hook. Just enough diameter for 1/4 inch rod. Those guys are pretty stodgy and only responce I recall was the muzzle loader design was perfect over 100 years ago and no improvments were needed. I know it wont happen. Lucky to even have Lyman as an option these days.

Like Ed, I consider it to be REALLY poor form to talk to anyone that is in the process of loading a muzzleloader.

I think it should be standard practice at all m-l clubs/shoots, and be prominently posted all over the bench areas.

In a less formal setting you see it happening ALL THE TIME, with fellow shooters teasing and ragging on one another constantly.

Most club members wouldn't dare rag on a fellow shooter that was in the process of shooting at a target. It simply isn't done.

But, there is little DANGER in distracting someone in the process of shooting by talking at them. Some DANGER, perhaps, but not a great amount.

OTOH, there is the potential for HUGE danger to both the person loading the gun, as well as anyone standing nearby if the shooter is distracted by conversation. Thank God that dry balling seems to be the most prevalent error, and not an incompletely loaded ball, or bullet; which could truly be disastrous.

The problem i usually run into at the range is some one brings there pretty wife, gf, daughter, whatever. Caused me to forget powder once and actually forgot the bullet once. That is why my wife doesn't go with me anymore. She kept smakin me for lookin. Gotta be a mens only club somewhere... Women sure are distracting (to me)

Latest posts

Back