Accidential double load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get the ball(s) out:
- CO2 tool as was mentioned.
- An air chuck using compressed air from a compressor
- Tried and true snail screw on ramrod, and pull it out

Be aware that the first two methods do indeed send the ball out pretty darn fast. Fast enough to do serious damage.

To prevnet it:
- Mark ram rod as has been mentioned.
- Always put a hair band arouind the barrel once it's loaded. It's a visual reminder.
- Always use your marked ram rod to check "empty" before loading.

The problem i usually run into at the range is some one brings there pretty wife, gf, daughter, whatever. Caused me to forget powder once and actually forgot the bullet once. That is why my wife doesn't go with me anymore. She kept smakin me for lookin. Gotta be a mens only club somewhere... Women sure are distracting (to me)

I joined that site just to see what they had for sale an maybe get some new info. Cracks me up when they say "the unmentionables" which is most likely inlines. Heck I have several inlines an sidelocks and like them all!! I own two vehicles one has standard transmission the other is automatic. They both are cars and do the same thing, one is easier to drive than the other, but they are still the same thing!
Just my opinion nothing else....

Last edited:
I won't say it can't happen to me, but so far I've remembered what the guy who first taught me made me do: Each range or shooting session begins with dropping the ramrod (or range rod) down the bore to ensure the "Empty" mark reaches the muzzle, and ends with the same. He taught me to look for that same mark when swabbing between shots as well. I still do it, even when shooting BH209, though I just use a dry patch. It's paranoid, probably, but I already have enough scars from complacency in other endeavors.

Did it in my Renegade with a MaxiBall once. Put soapy water down the barrel and let it stand barrel up for about 10 minutes. Just used a ball puller on the ramrod and pulled both charges easily. They were tight to pull back up and getting the wet powder out was a bit of a nuisance, but not too bad.. bad enough to not want to do it again though. When I first get to the range, I always shove my ramrod down to make sure it’s clear before I load.

Never have double loaded a m loader. Did forget the powder once. then I unscrewed the nipple, added ,powder ...screwed the nipple in. Capped and fired.

I shot a solid aluminum ramrod out one time and still don't know where it went. recoil was off the charts.

Hello, by accident I loaded my muzzleloader twice (i.e. from the breech powder, ball, powder, ball) so now I wounder, how do I solve this problem? How can I extract the extra ball out of the barrel?
try compressed air

The one time I forgot the powder I just removed the breech plug and pushed the bullet out with my 12ga cleaning rod.

Latest posts

Back