Accura V2 .45 Drops Florida bruiser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday morn I had planned to hit the woods even though it was going to be in the low 50’s & 80’s during the day. But I fell back asleep & woke up at 6:45. So I set up my Jim Shocky’s trigger sticks on the back porch & set my Accura next to the 3 glass doors. At 7:10 4 does came walk-in thru the front yard & into the west field which I let grow all year this yr. At 7:15 I see this black silhouette come from far off thru this small wooded patch on the north side of the property that a few does still bed & give birth. He stands at the fence grunting up a storm. Then he jumps the fence & starts chasing these 4 does and still grunting non stop. He paid me no mind when I opened the door & stuck the Accura out. 3 of the 4 does made a break for the fence he just came over & 1 headed for the south fence & the 300 acres of pine forest, he started heading for it but turned toward the fence running. I dropped him in his tracks just 10yds before the fence at 80yds quartering away. The 220gr .40 Dead Center bullet hit him just at the end of the rib cage & it stopped just barely into the right front shoulder. The bullet was under the hide. I have 2 other shooter bucks that made scrapes in the field in the last week & plenty of yearling scrub bucks & a 2.5yr old 6pt & a 3.5 yr old 8pt with nice long tines & plenty of does movin thru along with the ones still bedding next to the fence. There’s been 3 months of tree clearing on the 300 acres to the south where I normally hunt. I thought it would completely screw me for hunting this yr & my health has not been good to where I was concerned about makin it out to my stand locations at all this yr by myself. It sure looks like all that cutting has pushed a lot of deer this way bc I’ve seen more deer in general than I’ve seen in the last 2yrs & far more bucks than I’ve seen in a good while, just in the last 2 wks.
Normally 1 of these half size Florida deer fills one fishing cooler with room for ice, this big boy filled 2 coolers. I wish I could have weighed him.
It’s the biggest deer I’ve killed by far in Florida since I moved here. I normally do all neck or headshots so I’ve never recovered one of these Dead Center bullets until this one. I didn’t take any chances with this buck & put one in the body. As you can see in pic1 how far back I hit him, I could have led him a lil more.

Attachments

• 5760B747-72EC-4D41-BC00-3FDF3B6E2DA8.jpeg
    5760B747-72EC-4D41-BC00-3FDF3B6E2DA8.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
  • AA7872A4-C2B4-4975-943A-EFD439C6F5CB.jpeg
    AA7872A4-C2B4-4975-943A-EFD439C6F5CB.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 4
  • AA680E3E-A4F3-4242-9B00-FCB266A01106.jpeg
    AA680E3E-A4F3-4242-9B00-FCB266A01106.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 8D8BC4AA-958B-463D-9C08-932207DE5546.jpeg
    8D8BC4AA-958B-463D-9C08-932207DE5546.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 61709D6B-3FC1-4B9C-A30B-66460B608EF9.jpeg
    61709D6B-3FC1-4B9C-A30B-66460B608EF9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • E5D544AC-56DD-4236-A17F-8E8E014B7151.jpeg
    E5D544AC-56DD-4236-A17F-8E8E014B7151.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Heck yeah. Bet you’ve never been so glad to accidentally fall back asleep. Very cool rack on that deer.

Very nice deer. As Mossy said, unusual rack on the critter. Nice work! Congrats!

Those Dead Centers are old school big medicine for sure. Alot of character on that rack and what a schnoz! Wonder how old he is..
Thanks Hausser, I appreciate it. He is 4.5 I think. I love these Dead Centers, they are extremely accurate & they hit hard without excessive damage & they can handle being pushed behind 84gr Bh209 charges. I was a bit shocked that it lost 63gr in weight though & didn’t pass through. It was great to finally recover one ( it’s the first body shot I’ve taken with them ).

Heck yeah. Bet you’ve never been so glad to accidentally fall back asleep. Very cool rack on that deer.
Lol you know it! That’s 2 days in a row I woke up at 1:30 & 3:00am like I was kicked & sat down in the recliner with my coffee & turned the dang TV on & - good night Irene. Waking up at daybreak. But I’ve seen more deer comin thru our property than I’d normally see in my stand locations. I’m sooo glad I only had 150yds to pull him on my cart to where I hung him up & on flat ground. It still kicked my hind parts. By the time I got him skinned & broke down into the coolers I was barely able to walk back to the house.

Lol you know it! That’s 2 days in a row I woke up at 1:30 & 3:00am like I was kicked & sat down in the recliner with my coffee & turned the dang TV on & - good night Irene. Waking up at daybreak. But I’ve seen more deer comin thru our property than I’d normally see in my stand locations. I’m sooo glad I only had 150yds to pull him on my cart to where I hung him up & on flat ground. It still kicked my hind parts. By the time I got him skinned & broke down into the coolers I was barely able to walk back to the house.
I know that feeling! Getting so the mountain is kicking my butt. When I get one it is really tough!

That's a tank! Good job buddy. He is definitely a bruiser. Nice thick rack with a nice color. Love to see em chasin!
Thanks alot. I appreciate that. Its really nice to see they actually do get decent body size & rack size down here, as rare as it is. I've only seen 1 other older deer with a bigger rack in 8.5 yrs here. Its awesome to see for sure. The 9pt I killed last yr was a puppy in body & rack compared to this guy. When he saw these 4 does, he was focused on nothing else but them & non stop grunting. He hopped the fence & went after these does like a kid takes off thru Chucky Cheese. I don't think he noticed or cared when the Accura barrel came out the door. I never had time to use the trigger sticks standing there. There are guys hunting on 3 sides of the fam property, I'm really lucky to have caught this buck slipping thru here after them does. I've been watching several diff bucks sparing in the field lately & watched a cpl scrapes get made. I think this guy is gettin a Euro mount. My first attempt at that.

Back