Accura V2 .45 Drops Florida bruiser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morn I had planned to hit the woods even though it was going to be in the low 50’s & 80’s during the day. But I fell back asleep & woke up at 6:45. So I set up my Jim Shocky’s trigger sticks on the back porch & set my Accura next to the 3 glass doors. At 7:10 4 does came walk-in thru the front yard & into the west field which I let grow all year this yr. At 7:15 I see this black silhouette come from far off thru this small wooded patch on the north side of the property that a few does still bed & give birth. He stands at the fence grunting up a storm. Then he jumps the fence & starts chasing these 4 does and still grunting non stop. He paid me no mind when I opened the door & stuck the Accura out. 3 of the 4 does made a break for the fence he just came over & 1 headed for the south fence & the 300 acres of pine forest, he started heading for it but turned toward the fence running. I dropped him in his tracks just 10yds before the fence at 80yds quartering away. The 220gr .40 Dead Center bullet hit him just at the end of the rib cage & it stopped just barely into the right front shoulder. The bullet was under the hide. I have 2 other shooter bucks that made scrapes in the field in the last week & plenty of yearling scrub bucks & a 2.5yr old 6pt & a 3.5 yr old 8pt with nice long tines & plenty of does movin thru along with the ones still bedding next to the fence. There’s been 3 months of tree clearing on the 300 acres to the south where I normally hunt. I thought it would completely screw me for hunting this yr & my health has not been good to where I was concerned about makin it out to my stand locations at all this yr by myself. It sure looks like all that cutting has pushed a lot of deer this way bc I’ve seen more deer in general than I’ve seen in the last 2yrs & far more bucks than I’ve seen in a good while, just in the last 2 wks.
Normally 1 of these half size Florida deer fills one fishing cooler with room for ice, this big boy filled 2 coolers. I wish I could have weighed him.
It’s the biggest deer I’ve killed by far in Florida since I moved here. I normally do all neck or headshots so I’ve never recovered one of these Dead Center bullets until this one. I didn’t take any chances with this buck & put one in the body. As you can see in pic1 how far back I hit him, I could have led him a lil more.
Congratulations on a great deer! How do they eat down there without all the grain feed to munch on?

Congratulations on a great deer! How do they eat down there without all the grain feed to munch on?
Thanks Pathfinder, as far as the actual taste of the deer in Fl compared to the central east coast region I'm from - I'd say that they are much leaner here with far less body fat ( 2 or 3 of the dozen I've killed here had some body fat on them, the others - none ) & slightly more gamier tasting, but nothing that really stands out to pinpoint. When I first moved here the fam complained about the toughness & taste of the deer down here every time deer were mentioned, but when I started putting them in the freezer & cooking them myself, there hasn't been a single complaint about them.

Beautiful deer with a unique rack. And I like unique racks.
Congrats on a great one.
Thank you so much. I got really lucky catchin him like that, had I not been standing at the door, watching with my gun ready I'd have never seen him. He was on the property for maybe 1 minute & he would have been back over the fence & gone. The rack is pretty unique, gonna try a Euro mount with it.

Latest posts

Back