ACCURACY = Dont move

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

improman

Reaction score
A old trick that i use that i learned from my dad..Ive seen people to fast to drop there arms ,,being centerfire shooters.I watched my bro-inlaw think his new hatfeild flintlock wasnt accurate..ALL BY NOT following through to let the gun perform the hesitation to ignite the charge...DAD SAID 2 things...Watch the ball hit.....AND dont move until you hear the echo come back.IVE taught alot of people this simple technique and amazed they are.

I would try to practice that same technique even if I was shooting a 6 PPC free recoil on the bench, follow thru with your eyes and your body,,especially with the slower recoil signature of a muzzleloader it's extremely critical,,, for those new to muzzleloading ,especially some of the break open lightweight guns, it's critical it's why I'm convinced a lot of people's guns shoot a lot more accurate than they can..

I would try to practice that same technique even if I was shooting a 6 PPC free recoil on the bench, follow thru with your eyes and your body,,especially with the slower recoil signature of a muzzleloader it's extremely critical,,, for those new to muzzleloading ,especially some of the break open lightweight guns, it's critical it's why I'm convinced a lot of people's guns shoot a lot more accurate than they can..
I had my wife win at 100 yards never shooting much bench competition with a 6.5x55 mdl 96 swede she came in 3rd and i was number one out of 8 others.PLUS I told her think like if you miss the X you,ll have to walk home..lol

A old trick that i use that i learned from my dad..Ive seen people to fast to drop there arms ,,being centerfire shooters.I watched my bro-inlaw think his new hatfeild flintlock wasnt accurate..ALL BY NOT following through to let the gun perform the hesitation to ignite the charge...DAD SAID 2 things...Watch the ball hit.....AND dont move until you hear the echo come back.IVE taught alot of people this simple technique and amazed they are.
I don't remember where I learned this, but it's what I tell myself before I shoot: "try to have a non-reaction to the shot". Sounds kinda silly, I know, but no flinching and no movement, just keep focusing on the target even though the recoil prevents you from seeing it.

Myself included! Several years of trap shooting competition (8,000+ targets per year) taught me the importance of "cheekweld".....Trader AKA Mosssie
I too in my younger days developed lifting my head upon pullin the trigger. It's much harder trying to re train yourself to break bad habits than it is to learn & train the right way, right from the beginning. I still have to tell myself to keep my cheek weld & not lift, slow my breathing, squeeze etc. after all these decades of shooting. Now I'm an amazing instinctive shooter when it comes to throwing a rifle or shotgun up to my shoulder while starting the sweeping thru process & pull the trigger without time to think or blink & drop whatever I'm shooting at.
I shot per yr combined trap on Thru night & skeet & sporting clays on Tues about 8000 rounds as well. All that practice & training helped a lot. But having someone watching me shoot that can see what I'm doin wrong & help correct me was monumental. Hearin things yelled from behind me - ya lifter yer darn head again, I knew you were gonna miss that one lol I'm smiling while writing this. Fond memories that helped me fix my errors in my shooting form & procedure.

When I was a young man shooting 100 200 and 300 yard bench rest with ppcs and br's etc I shot real fast I did not shoot free recoil like a lot of people around me I would touch the stock but I would load and shoot so quickly you would question my technique, it worked for me then maybe my young scattered mind clicked with that pace of shooting, sitting down with the muzzleloader at the bench or a 450 Bushmaster or something in the Big bore category that only weighs five and a half or six pounds,, well let's just say I've had to adjust ,, I really think a lot of trigger Time ends up equaling distinct unique shooting techniques I think they're just subtle and hard to notice sometimes,, I have my own I won't describe it here I think a lot of people would laugh at it it's secret but it works for me,, no I share my technique for shooting heavy recoil and Big bore with everyone I introduce muzzleloaders too,,, I sure do agree with having a very experienced shooter back off behind you and maybe a little to the side and watch you and give you suggestions makes a lot of difference I would suggest that to a new muzzleloader having trouble getting his gun to group find a muzzleloader shooter that has a lot of experience and just ask him for some shooting technique help doesn't do any good to have an accurate load if you can't get behind it and make it go where you point it

..........I sure do agree with having a very experienced shooter back off behind you and maybe a little to the side and watch you and give you suggestions makes a lot of difference I would suggest that to a new muzzleloader having trouble getting his gun to group find a muzzleloader shooter that has a lot of experience and just ask him for some shooting technique help doesn't do any good to have an accurate load if you can't get behind it and make it go where you point it

Agreed. I've helped a lot of shooters out over the years and one issue I notice with just about every single shooter, is what can be called "zoning out" in their scope.
They get into position to fire, look through the scope and just stare while attempting to settle the crosshairs. As the stare continues with time, settling the crosshairs becomes extremely harder. They'll mess up every time. There are actual medical terms used for "zoning out". I attempt to tell shooters to be aware of this issue and pick your head up off that scope and focus on a distant object. I can't recall a single time when I explained this to a shooter, that it didn't improve his shooting.
A book could be written about this stuff ;)

Encore, I find that becoming an issue for me and heavy recoil ,,just taking a little bit too much time, I have experienced that a lot and zoning out in the scope that's exactly what happens,, I found myself flinching from muzzle brakes a little bit too I mean the gases,, sometimes I shoot heavy recoil and very light recoil back to back just to make my mind adjust,,, if you're serious about your shooting these are issues that really will mess with you. I had a trigger this year that went bang a couple times when I didn't want it to now that will really mess with you. Of course I fixed that issue quickly, still it's amazing the residual effect of that particular rifle messes with my head

Encore, I find that becoming an issue for me and heavy recoil ,,just taking a little bit too much time, I have experienced that a lot and zoning out in the scope that's exactly what happens,, I found myself flinching from muzzle brakes a little bit too I mean the gases,,.....
Just wondering about your brake issue................. are you flinching because you see the gases expelled from the brake? You may be taking your eye from the scope to soon????

I'm not saying that never happens, it just seems even with ear protection and double ear protection on that muzzle brakes make me more jumpy,, I noticed the explosion of the gases and I know some of them port away from me it's just still a different experience for me trying to shoot all of my guns without the brake that's not easy sometimes,, the following through aspect and point is something that I try to be really focused on with any gun I shoot,, I didn't shoot muzzle brakes for many years because as a young man I made the mistake many of us do of getting in a hurry and not putting my ear protection and shooting the guns with brakes one too many times in hunting situations,, maybe it's just I have a mental issue with the brakes. I need to get over it I'm working on it,, I know without the brakes I'm only good for about 20 to 25 rounds and I've had enough I like to shoot more so I keep practicing some with muzzle brake too,,, I haven't shot with a friend or anyone for a long long time other than just teaching guys how to shoot the last 5 to 10 years sounds like Mr ego needs to sit down with a good shooter like you behind me and let him watch me!!!

I'm betting we could all use someone watching our shooting ;)
I've been lucky with brakes not bothering me with hearing protection. I use custom made ear plugs from the audiologist. I've started taking them off while hunting as they are just to damn loud. I'm fortunate that they have no bearing on my ability......... But then again, isn't anyone standing there watching either 😄

Been fortunate also to talk with shooters much better than myself, picking up pointers here and there that are contributing factors to accuracy. It amazes me how just a few small contributing factors can make such a significant difference in accuracy.

There are plenty of "little" things that can go against us getting accuracy, but I think one that stumps most is knowing when to quit. I can be stubborn and was working at over-coming a flinch issue with my 7 mag and would just keep shooting and trying. It wasn't until I realized all I was doing was practicing a bad habit over and over. Finally I took just 5 shells to the range and focused serious hard on doing all the right things BEFORE I began getting punchy. I did this for several trips to the range and found the accuracy I was looking for. I think too many people just keep doing what is causing their problems and never really addressing the causes for their accuracy problems.

I watched a fella un-case a beautiful Ruger #1 in 375 HH. Said his loads were difficult. On his first shot he reacted to recoil before the gun went off. I don't know if he ever got the gun to where he was happy but guessing not.

Back