Accuracy nodes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a retired Science teacher. It took me 30 years to get out of the 8th grade, but I finally graduated. During that time, I taught a mixture of Biology, and Astronomy, and Physics, and Chemistry, and Earth Science.

All rifle barrels vibrate like a tuning fork. A shorter tuning fork vibrates at a higher frequency.

The following explanation came from a guy who was a mechanical engineer (cannot remember his name at present) and a rifle accuracy nut. His explanation found below made sense to me.

The ideal situation is when the bullet exits at the point in the cycle when the muzzle is vibrating in the upward direction. A slightly faster bullet exits lower in the upward cycle. A slightly slower bullet exits slightly higher in the cycle producing a slightly higher launch angle, which ends up putting the bullet at the same place on the target. This would produce "nodes".

If anyone here has another explanation or can correct the one above, I will not be offended. It is the way science is supposed to work.
Some have said that the barrel isnt actually moving up and down or side to side in these vibrations but that the wave runs back to front, 360*. In a ring it sounds like. But the effect is there. You need to accurately measure the muzzle velocity and adjust it to match the prediction, then you can find some nodes. Not all but some. I don't have a chronograph, so I cant go down this road yet.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue how to compare the two ?

I did shoot at a target. I shot from a bipod and off the shoulder. No rear rest. I held 2moa to hit the orange.

View attachment 24281
Ok im going to try to compare your info to OBT, if i can do the math right. BIL is coming over tonite and i will get his input. Im going to have him do the figuring first with out letting him know your results. I hope that will make it more unbiased? I think the only other info needed is your barrel length from breech plug face to the muzzle.

Ok im going to try to compare your info to OBT, if i can do the math right. BIL is coming over tonite and i will get his input. Im going to have him do the figuring first with out letting him know your results. I hope that will make it more unbiased? I think the only other info needed is your barrel length from breech plug face to the muzzle.
Not sure which you'll need, as I shot WITH the muzzle brake.

Face of the breech plug to the end of the MUZZLE is 24.5"

Face of the breech plug to the end of the MUZZLE BRAKE is 26.25"

What got figured out????

What got figured out????
I can not, on my own, seem to get QL adjusted to give me your actual mv with the barrel length and powder charge you're using. Im pretty new to QL. I keep coming up about 100-150fps lower. OBT says your nodes are at 1.043mS, 1.1238mS, and 1.2535mS. Im trying to adjust QL so your xld350/100.5gr powder/24.5”barrel give me 2956fps, so i can see what barrel time it says you have. That would be, hopefully, pretty close to 1.043milliseconds. Or one of the other times.

I can not, on my own, seem to get QL adjusted to give me your actual mv with the barrel length and powder charge you're using. Im pretty new to QL. I keep coming up about 100-150fps lower. OBT says your nodes are at 1.043mS, 1.1238mS, and 1.2535mS. Im trying to adjust QL so your xld350/100.5gr powder/24.5”barrel give me 2956fps, so i can see what barrel time it says you have. That would be, hopefully, pretty close to 1.043milliseconds. Or one of the other times.
The node I'll use is 2960fps at 101.8grs. In the middle of #8 and #9.

Back