Accuracy nodes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My BIL is a long time reloader and CF shooter and he claims that nodes are predictable when you know certain info about the gun. Barrel length, bullet speed, time to bullet exiting the barrel, and other stuff. Lots of math it sounds like. He’s an engineer and is really good with math, im a mechanic and much better with a wrench and cursing. I want to believe that his way can help shave down the amount of time it takes to find nodes. He has said he will show me how and has a link to a website. Does anyone here find nodes using math? Or just bench testing loads?

I'm not sure that math can predict the specific harmonics of an individual barrel, especially when there are differences in contour and steel type.
I'd rather shoot and plot.
Im going to look at his info, then see how it lines up with what i actually get. If it can get me closer to start with, thats a good thing.

I am a retired Science teacher. It took me 30 years to get out of the 8th grade, but I finally graduated. During that time, I taught a mixture of Biology, and Astronomy, and Physics, and Chemistry, and Earth Science.

All rifle barrels vibrate like a tuning fork. A shorter tuning fork vibrates at a higher frequency.

The following explanation came from a guy who was a mechanical engineer (cannot remember his name at present) and a rifle accuracy nut. His explanation found below made sense to me.

The ideal situation is when the bullet exits at the point in the cycle when the muzzle is vibrating in the upward direction. A slightly faster bullet exits lower in the upward cycle. A slightly slower bullet exits slightly higher in the cycle producing a slightly higher launch angle, which ends up putting the bullet at the same place on the target. This would produce "nodes".

If anyone here has another explanation or can correct the one above, I will not be offended. It is the way science is supposed to work.

I am a retired Science teacher. It took me 30 years to get out of the 8th grade, but I finally graduated. During that time, I taught a mixture of Biology, and Astronomy, and Physics, and Chemistry, and Earth Science.

All rifle barrels vibrate like a tuning fork. A shorter tuning fork vibrates at a higher frequency.

The following explanation came from a guy who was a mechanical engineer (cannot remember his name at present) and a rifle accuracy nut. His explanation found below made sense to me.

The ideal situation is when the bullet exits at the point in the cycle when the muzzle is vibrating in the upward direction. A slightly faster bullet exits lower in the upward cycle. A slightly slower bullet exits slightly higher in the cycle producing a slightly higher launch angle, which ends up putting the bullet at the same place on the target. This would produce "nodes".

If anyone here has another explanation or can correct the one above, I will not be offended. It is the way science is supposed to work.
That is exactly the way the BIL explained it to me. He, too is an engineer and accuracy nut.

I'm going to stick with shooting and plotting.................... I don't have a chamber, nor using a cartridge case.

I've either been lucky or what I'm already doing works ;)

I may try some 4895 tomorrow........

My BIL is a long time reloader and CF shooter and he claims that nodes are predictable when you know certain info about the gun. Barrel length, bullet speed, time to bullet exiting the barrel, and other stuff. Lots of math it sounds like. He’s an engineer and is really good with math, im a mechanic and much better with a wrench and cursing. I want to believe that his way can help shave down the amount of time it takes to find nodes. He has said he will show me how and has a link to a website. Does anyone here find nodes using math? Or just bench testing loads?
He’s an engineer and is really good with math, im a mechanic and much better with a wrench and cursing.
LMAO I get it, I'm a metal fabricator for a reason - I'm much better with a hammer & cussing too. I know I WON'T BE - finding any nodes by math. I can do geometry bc of my trade, but anything more complicated than that.... like adding letters & weird signs - I'm one lost puppy.

Latest posts

Back