Accurate 200 yard load for Western Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratherbhuntin

Reaction score
I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m heading into only my third season of muzzleloading and still looking for a “go to” western legal load for my Knight .50 cal Mountaineer. With a young family and long work weeks my range time is often limited. Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate 200 yard load for elk hunting that I could try? My first year I shot powerbelts and triple 7 while last year I used hydracons with felt wads and triple 7. The accuracy was okay but I’d like the tightest groups possible. I’m running a peep and globe sight combo with Lee Shaver inserts thanks to Idahoron and Sabotloader:) I also understand any accuracy or consistency shortfalls may be my own and not my rifle or load. I still feel new to this game and will take any advice. Thanks for any input.

You're 1:28 twist is not conducive to great 200 yard shooting with a lot of loads...
I'd go with the heaviest bullet (over 400gr).. Velocity isn't that important as accuracy might be surprised with reduced vs higher loads.

Thanks for the bullet weight and powder charge advice. Do you have any experience with No Excuses bullets?

Ratherbhuntin said:
Thanks for the bullet weight and powder charge advice. Do you have any experience with No Excuses bullets?

I have no clue about the western rules, as the different states can vary with their laws. If BH209 is a legal propellant where you plan to hunt, THAT is exactly what I'd use as a propellant. I'd seat a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet on top of 110grs VOLUME and work up in 5gr increasments, again volume. Determine the charge that gives you your best or tightest groups. I've sent many rounds with the above recommendation from 1:28 twist rifles to 200yds and they can be extremely accurate (scope used). Now, I've had to many eye problems to shoot open sights, but use a good front rest with a good rear bag off a solid rest. Good luck!

ENCORE50A said:
Ratherbhuntin said:

I have no clue about the western rules, as the different states can vary with their laws. If BH209 is a legal propellant where you plan to hunt, THAT is exactly what I'd use as a propellant. I'd seat a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet on top of 110grs VOLUME and work up in 5gr increasments, again volume. Determine the charge that gives you your best or tightest groups. I've sent many rounds with the above recommendation from 1:28 twist rifles to 200yds and they can be extremely accurate (scope used). Now, I've had to many eye problems to shoot open sights, but use a good front rest with a good rear bag off a solid rest. Good luck!

Good load but suspect open ignition and full bore bullet required so blackhorn and sabot be a no go

Go to the ‘In-line’ section of this site and go to page 2. Look for the post ‘No Excuse Load Recommendations’. There was some recent discussion and actual testing done with 50cal conicals with reduced loads to simulate longer ranges.
No Excuse bullets were the WORST performing of all.

52Bore said:
No Excuse bullets were the WORST performing of all.

I remember seeing this, They sure didn’t perform like soft lead, More like a Hardened bullet.

To the OP, There are many good Choices, The Lyman Plains has been an AWESOME bullet for me and everyone that has tried them, From Stock 1:48 Twist to my 1:28s, It is 1 of my “Go To” Bullets in both .50 and .54 Cal, My dad just recently shot my .54 Lyman Plains bullets at a Ranged 200 yards with his Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade, he had 3 shots in 3” and threw 1 shot out about 8-10” Not bad for open sights, And first attempt at 200 yards.

I have a Few Custom Bullets that do very well also. Another option that i swear by is The Bullshop .504~460s, AWESOME Bullet :yeah: I had a Mold made to Duplicate this bullet as closely as possible. I would Try these Bullshop bullets :yeah:

Thanks everyone for the good info and advice. I’ve never heard of bullshop bullets and will have to check them out.

No Excuse to buy No Excuse bullets for me! I'm shooting open sights @ 100 yds and getting 3" groups with 348 lead powerbelts and 100 gr of pyrodex select from my Knight Bighorn 1"-28". I tried the 420 and 460 gr no excuse today and they didn't even hit the target. Used a wool wad under the bullet over the same powder charge and no luck. Without swabbing I dropped another powder charge and a PB and bang back on target. Also it was 69 degrees out and the yucky blue lube was running off the bullets and all over the place. I bought a trial pack and I'm not impressed. I had my doubts cause the bullets looked like crap to begin with. They looked like culls to me but I thought what the heck. I may remove the lube and relube them with SPG or my own.

Ratherbhuntin said:
I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m heading into only my third season of muzzleloading and still looking for a “go to” western legal load for my Knight .50 cal Mountaineer. With a young family and long work weeks my range time is often limited. Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate 200 yard load for elk hunting that I could try? My first year I shot powerbelts and triple 7 while last year I used hydracons with felt wads and triple 7. The accuracy was okay but I’d like the tightest groups possible. I’m running a peep and globe sight combo with Lee Shaver inserts thanks to Idahoron and Sabotloader:) I also understand any accuracy or consistency shortfalls may be my own and not my rifle or load. I still feel new to this game and will take any advice. Thanks for any input.

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold with their black crushed rib sabot. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion. If you are going after elk I’d suggest a heavier bullet.

donparadowski said:
I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold with their black crushed rib sabot. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion. If you are going after elk I’d suggest a heavier bullet.
Careful with that tipped bullet at longer ranges (150 + depending on initial velocity)
Ron L tested the 250gr version and it didn’t do anything at 1250fps.

Attachments

• 2B3294B9-CD1D-41D8-9759-87FDD34507EC.jpeg
    2B3294B9-CD1D-41D8-9759-87FDD34507EC.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 448
I am wondering what load the OP ended up selecting? 200yds for me is really pushing the western rules distance on elk.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice so far. I’ve been experimenting with different powder charges while still using my supply of 440 grain Hydra-Cons from Parker Productions. Right now I have a tight grouping load with 70 grains of triple 7 FFG. It surprised me since I backed down from 110 grains. At this point I’ve only shot out to 100 yards with good accuracy. I’ll have to conduct more range work at 150 and 200 yds. I need to Chrony this load and look at the energy numbers.

A great option is contact Dennis at fury bullets.

He has a 325gr startip copper jacket bullet that is proving to be very accurate fullbore bullet for western hunts.

bestill said:
A great option is contact Dennis at fury bullets.

He has a 325gr startip copper jacket bullet that is proving to be very accurate fullbore bullet for western hunts.

Great bullet, accurate and will put a whollop on game.

Ratherbhuntin said:
Thanks everyone for the info and advice so far. I’ve been experimenting with different powder charges while still using my supply of 440 grain Hydra-Cons from Parker Productions. Right now I have a tight grouping load with 70 grains of triple 7 FFG. It surprised me since I backed down from 110 grains. At this point I’ve only shot out to 100 yards with good accuracy. I’ll have to conduct more range work at 150 and 200 yds. I need to Chrony this load and look at the energy numbers.
The heavier the bullets the better it will retain downrange momentum, you’ve got a good weight bullet. If I recall - 70gr Black 2f pushed my 445gr at 1450fps: over 1000 fps and ft-lbs well over 300 yds.
Good luck.

52Bore said:
donparadowski said:
Careful with that tipped bullet at longer ranges (150 + depending on initial velocity)
Ron L tested the 250gr version and it didn’t do anything at 1250fps.
2B3294B9-CD1D-41D8-9759-87FDD34507EC.jpeg
I'm shooting well over 1250fps. All the bullet holes are round and crisp except when two holes overlap.

donparadowski said:
I'm shooting well over 1250fps. All the bullet holes are round and crisp except when two holes overlap.
If your MV is 1750, you'll be at 1250 at 200 yds.

Im pretty sure that most PACNW regs dont allow sabot loads and many require open ignition systems. 209 primers are typically not allowed in many of those states. So it really does not matter how well the PT Gold works or doesnt work.

The trick to getting big lead to work is the correct sizing and dont push them too fast. Its not all that difficult and can work well with any ignition type. I would try ODs in the .502 range for a Knight and more than likely 90gr or less for powder like Triple7 or Swiss. If you have a chrono try to get in the 1300-1400fps range. A 460gr bullet at that speed is pretty similar to the old 50-70-450 Gov load. A heckuva lot of buffalo died to that load.

Contact Dan at Bullshop. https://bullshop.weebly.com/about.html

See if he can send you a couple samples of his 504-460 Nex sized smaller. They cost around $40-45/100 plus shipping in pure lead and lubed.

Again thanks for the great info. I haven’t made it back to the range just yet. I keep hearing about Bullshop conicals on this form so with this latest advice I’m going to have to get my hands on some. And yes hunting in Idaho equals no copper, sabots and required open ignition. Thanks all for reaffirming that accurate mass and momentum will get the job done. I knew Elmer Keith was on to something;)

Back