Accurate 200 yard load for Western Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This chart is for a White Rifle Power Punch 480gr conical with a .250 claimed BC and 100grV of Pyro P. A Bullshop 460gr wont be too terribly far off this. I would run the numbers with a much more conservative BC though. Maybe .225ish BC. Big lead carries energy well if you can deal with the rainbow.
best_l53.gif

Ratherbhuntin said:
I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m heading into only my third season of muzzleloading and still looking for a “go to” western legal load for my Knight .50 cal Mountaineer. With a young family and long work weeks my range time is often limited. Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate 200 yard load for elk hunting that I could try? My first year I shot powerbelts and triple 7 while last year I used hydracons with felt wads and triple 7. The accuracy was okay but I’d like the tightest groups possible. I’m running a peep and globe sight combo with Lee Shaver inserts thanks to Idahoron and Sabotloader:) I also understand any accuracy or consistency shortfalls may be my own and not my rifle or load. I still feel new to this game and will take any advice. Thanks for any input.

I use a .503x460 MT NEx bullet from Bull Shop to conform with Idaho rules... These bullets shoot very well for me from a GM LRH 1-28 twist bore. Essentially the same barrel on a the Mountaineer.

bullshopBullets.jpg

I use a #11 Dynamit Nobel 1075+ cap igniting 90 grains of T7. I do also use a shot card between the bullet and the powder to protect the bottom of the bullet from melting with the heat of T7. I would also tell you that I am pushing to bullet to hard (1500 FPS)

90460-MTNEx.jpg

Most would tell you that I am creating to much velocity with the bullet which could create more leading in the barrel. But that is where I got the best accuracy.

I had very good luck with the Dan’s Bullshop bullets as well, Enough so that i had a Mold made :yeah: I Swear by the Use of an 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wad with All Grease Groove bullets, I have NOT had good luck with Hard Card type OP Wads and GG Bullets. In my experience The 2 most important things for best accuracy with GG bullets is a Softer Lube, and 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wads

You all have given me outstanding information. Thank you! I leave tomorrow to help some family members with their rifle elk hunt. When it’s my turn later on I’ll be packing a Muzzleloader. Take care and good luck to all of you this hunting season. I’ll catch up with you in a few...days or weeks depending on how things go.

There’s the pic. Again, you guys and your advice and willingness to share it is awesome. Here’s to next season.

The range was 115 yards and the bull laid down immediately and then tipped over. Unfortunately he kicked and tried to get his feet under him again a few times and rolled downhill until he wrapped around a tree and expired. Darkness was coming on fast so I didn’t inspect the wound channel. In hindsight I wish I would have. Instead I immediately got out the headlamp and knife to get to work.

Latest posts

Back