Accurate #40-265I in a Harvester Light Blue Sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Again, MtMonkey has gotten me to thinking about shooting .40 caliber bullets in the light blue Harvester Crush Rib sabots in a .45 caliber custom Rice barrel (0.458" groove diameter) using black powder, instead of BH209.

My question to those of you already shooting Pittman, or Fury bullets out of these sabots is do you think the Accurate Molds #40-265I bullet sized to 0.402" will work well in the light blue sabot? With a .50 caliber wool wad underneath the sabot, if necessary?

I am also considering using the Harvester dark blue Crush Rib sabot in .50 caliber with the same bullet in my Javelina CVA Optima V2 pistol when Doc White's finished with it, hopefully in the next two months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you would have had that back from Doc by now.

I wish!!!!!!!

Doc just started on the stocks about a week and a half ago. Before that it was at LR Customs getting the lead conical and the sabot MZ REX2 muzzle brakes installed. Included with the brakes is a loading funnel, and a T-handle bullet starter. Levi Reed also made a knurled muzzle cap, an under the muzzle brake length ramrod, and a range rod for the pistol. He shot it with 385 grain bullets in a sabot, and said the brake tamed the recoil to that of a .38 Special. This was with the factory stocks in place.

I am really looking forward to the final results after Doc is finished with the Javelina stocks. I have an Arrowhead LRMP CVA Optima V2 breech plug with modules that I intend to use as a closed ignition system with rifle primers & Swiss black powder.

I just got the Spartan Precision Equipment, Davros ball head a couple of weeks ago. The ball head weighs 115 grams/4.1 ounces. I also have the Spartan Javelin bipod in standard length legs for use on the bench when sighting in.

My last major purchase will be a Really Right Stuff MC-45, carbon fiber, 5-leg, monopod. Weight 2 pounds. Collapsed length= 24". Extended length= 93".

For normal stalking type hunting I will carry the pistol in a pouch-like holster on the chest; with the sling attached single-point to the pistol grip, & worn across the shoulders. The pistol will be held two-handed in a push-pull motion to shoot.

When time allows, the monopod with the Davros ball head will be pulled out of a pack, extended, and attached to the underside of the forearm to the Spartan brass Gunsmith Adapter that will be mounted flush in front of the stubby Javelina pistol grip.

Either configuration will be easy to control because of the LR Customs muzzle brakes. The muzzle brakes are an expensive addition to what started out as a sub-$300.00 pistol.

I am sure that more than a few of the others that own the Optima V2 pistols are wondering why I just didn't shoot it the way it came from the factory.

The primary reason is that my osteoarthritis has been progressing steadily over the past two years, and EVERY online review, or comment about the Optima V2 pistol has mentioned how terrible the pistol grip is. I figured that if I was going to commit to shooting this pistol, then I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible.

Not only comfortable for a dozen shots, I want to be able to go to the range and shoot an entire 100 station woods walk in comfort. Or 200 shots in a day if I want to. Something that cannot be done with factory stocks.

I knew from prior conversations with Doc White of the benefits of the Javelina stock design for taming heavy recoil by the use of two hands. Same exact principal as holding a rifle.

MtMonkey led me to Levi Reed at LR Customs, and conversations with him convinced me that his muzzle brakes would also tame the recoil for my osteoarthritis.

Between the two, I should have no issues shooting heavy bullets in the Optima V2 pistol that would make someone cry out in pain with the factory stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc stopped practicing medicine at age 84 just before Christmas 2020. He had other muzzleloading guns to finish before he could start on my pistol's stocks. I knew when I sent the pistol to him it might be a year before he would get started, and it was almost a year to the day before he could.

Ive heard really good things about those brakes. Cant wait to hear how you like it on that pistol. A few of us went in a bit of a different direction with the optima pistols.
I have even heard that Levi's brakes will knock off a couple of decibles in noise reduction over a barrel without a brake.

Ive heard really good things about those brakes. Cant wait to hear how you like it on that pistol. A few of us went in a bit of a different direction with the optima pistols.
Yeah, you turned the pistol into a carbine. How do you like it so far?

Back