Accurate 51-460M

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aknott1994

Reaction score
I am considering ordering this mold in the aluminum 2 cavity to use on large game (boar, elk, bison). I will either be casting in pure lead or a 50/50 pure lead/WW mix and water drop over an oversized lubed wad and 70-80 grains of Pyrodex RS. Should this work out to 150 yards or so?

Should work just fine :lewis: The Wheel weight mix will be AWFULLY Hard, You won’t get much, if Any Expansion at Typical Muzzleloader Velocities. Even cutting it 50/50 Won’t Change it’s Hardness level Much at all. On my Chart that came with my Cabin Tree Lead Hardness Tester, “New Wheel Weight“ is 12.5 BHN (Brinell Hardness) “Aged Wheel Weight“ is 14 BHN, For Comparison PURE Lead is 5 BHN, and 40-1 is 8.5 BHN, I personally would NOT go over 40-1 Hardness in a Muzzleloader for Hunting the Game you mention.

Should work just fine :lewis: The Wheel weight mix will be AWFULLY Hard, You won’t get much, if Any Expansion at Typical Muzzleloader Velocities. Even cutting it 50/50 Won’t Change it’s Hardness level Much at all. On my Chart that came with my Cabin Tree Lead Hardness Tester, “New Wheel Weight“ is 12.5 BHN (Brinell Hardness) “Aged Wheel Weight“ is 14 BHN, For Comparison PURE Lead is 5 BHN, and 40-1 is 8.5 BHN, I personally would NOT go over 40-1 Hardness in a Muzzleloader for Hunting the Game you mention.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I thought I may need a harder bullet for a bison

I thought I may need a harder bullet for a bison

You will definitely get More penetration with the Harder Bullet, Wheel Weight Hard Lead will Poke a Hole Straight Through. I have never hunted Bison, But I know the BIG Bulls are HUGE Animals.

My experience in Killing Game, A bullet that Expands some when it enters the Body Cavity and Slows down, is Dumping it’s energy inside the Animal, The SHOCK is usually enough to STOP them right there, Many times they COLLAPSE right there at the Shot, Or they Stagger off a Very Short Distance and Expire. They NEVER Take off on a Dead Run, They are Hurt WAY to Bad for that

On the other Hand, A bullet that does not Expand, and Just Pokes a Hole straight through (Even a LETHAL Lung Shot) I have seen a few Animals PEEL OUT Like the Wind, and Never be Found, Seen again. Of Course they eventually Died, But sadly were never Found

The ONLY time I personally would use a HARD Bullet is if i were Hunting Dangerous African Game such as Water, Cape Buffalos, Where i wanted SERIOUS Penetration, Through Shoulders, or It’s Head on a Charge

Latest posts

Back