Accurate LT30

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D55

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this powder in an sml? I picked up a pound today and it is a small kernel extruded bench rest powder. It is in the middle between 4227 and 4198 on the charts. I am going to do a gr for gr chrono comparison next time out. I am going to stay (so so) low at 60gr with a 250gr sabotless bullet. I was asking about this powder because of no published data to my knowledge and the in-availability of 4198. Just trying it out as an option.

I will post my findings when I get out to shoot. I am going to shoot this from a blued/black scout 25" barrel with no brake DI plug and modules, will use 250gr xtp's to test.

Well I went out and shot the LT30 today and also H4198. 60gr each dry wool wad and 250grxtp. I was shooting for a comparison and not group. For some reason my chrono didn't wake up right away and I didn't get a reading on the first 3 shots of LT30 but the last 2 av was 2369 fps with a 47es (not good) also shotgun pattern. H4198 av was 2566 fps with a 104es (really not good) but 1" group. I was shooting at 100yds. smooth sized 1 hand firm push loading. I need to do a ladder test with these combos to find their (node)/sweet spot. then compare the fps difference. As it stands the H4198 was 197fps faster than the same charge weight of LT30. I will play some more later.

Pressure with either 4198 or LT30 and a 250gr bullet is probably pressure starved. IIRC about 65gr and the 4198 starts to wake up when using a 250gr. I THINK LT30 was one of the powders RW tinkered with in the MLII 50cal years ago.

I agree GM as I have never been able to get light smooth formed bullets to shoot with even heavier doses of 4198 but my guns always shoot 300's good. 1" is about the best I ever get with 250gr but I also have never worked up loads with them just shot this and that. I will do a ladder test and then shoot for groups for a viable bullet powder combo. Also LT 30 is probably not the best powder to use as the kernels are very small and some do get into the DI modules. My belief is that 60gr of LT 30 is too much as it had more recoil than H4198. Will start smaller with it next time out.

GM I am not disputing your analogies of a pressure starved load but I read of 45-70 loads of 47 or so gr @ under 24k psi as being accurate. If I saterlee/ladder test till I get a flatline I believe I can achieve 3 accuracy nodes with H4198 and up to 300gr bullet. I understand obturation of the bullet but that can be overcome by knurling. I know each powder has a pressure at which they best perform. I am going to do the ladder test to only a break action load with LT30 next time out. I respect your knowledge of these things.

Last edited:
What i think happens is the "jump" a bullet makes before obturating is not consistent. So peak pressure is not consistent. In a cartridge that jump is the same every time for the same load.

Using enough powder/bullet weight makes it more consistent or whatever it takes to get the bullet to obturate the same over and over. What would be interesting is testing that theory smooth formed side by side with full formed. I have also been curious if the poly wads are ok to use with smokeless. They fit VERY tight.

I have also thought about knurling all low psi loads to get a more consistent es and accuracy. Knurling has given me good results with Barnes copper solids. Appreciate your input GM. Also I have never tried poly wads but I may consider them in the future as they may benefit a lower psi load in sml.

LT 30 is a wash for me. I tried a ladder test and also shooting groups with the different charge weights. Over 100fps es, always to the low side, with same charge weights throughout the groups shot even with a wool wad. My (guessing) is that the small kernels, some get into the DI modules and interfere with consistent ignition. Anyway I just wanted to try this powder, I have and am not impressed or pursuing it any further.

Back