Accurate Molds #50-415I

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
How many members here have purchased Idaholewis's bullet mold from Accurate Molds #50-415I?

What had your experience been?

I am contemplating having Tom at Accurate make me up a mold that would drop a 385 grain version of the #50-425I bullet. To shoot out of the Doc White Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol with the LR Customs MZ REX2 muzzle brake when it finally shows up.

Already have 0.495" diameter swaged balls, and a couple of boxes of Hornady 240 grain PA Conicals to shoot. Might see if I can find some Hornady, .50 caliber, 385 grain, Great Plains bullets to test.

Will be purchasing some dark blue, .50 caliber, Crush Rib sabots for .400 diameter bullets. MtMonkey has had great success shooting manufactured .40 caliber bullets in various weights in .50 caliber & .45 caliber barrels with rates of twist ranging from 1:28" down to 1:14". Not sure just what bullets I might start out with in the dark blue, .50 caliber sabots. Thinking about having Tom at Accurate Molds make me a centered tolerances, .400" diameter, no grooves bullet mold throwing about a 300 grain bullet measuring about 1.000" long with an ogive radius of R.5, and a meplat diameter of about 0.330".

Last edited by a moderator:
How many members here have purchased Idaholewis's bullet mold from Accurate Molds #50-425I?

What had your experience been?

I am contemplating having Tom at Accurate make me up a mold that would drop a 385 grain version of the #50-425I bullet. To shoot out of the Doc White Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol with the LR Customs MZ REX2 muzzle brake when it finally shows up.

Already have 0.495" diameter swaged balls, and a couple of boxes of Hornady 240 grain PA Conicals to shoot. Might see if I can find some Hornady, .50 caliber, 385 grain, Great Plains bullets to test.

Will be purchasing some dark blue, .50 caliber, Crush Rib sabots for .400 diameter bullets. MtMonkey has had great success shooting manufactured .40 caliber bullets in various weights in .50 caliber & .45 caliber barrels with rates of twist ranging from 1:28" down to 1:14". Not sure just what bullets I might start out with in the dark blue, .50 caliber sabots. Thinking about having Tom at Accurate Molds make me a centered tolerances, .400" diameter, no grooves bullet mold throwing about a 300 grain bullet measuring about 1.000" long with an ogive radius of R.5, and a meplat diameter of about 0.330".

Rather than reinvent the wheel Tom already as listed the sabot bullet in lead your looking for ! It is super accurate in my CVA 50 (pocket rocket) and shoots lights out in my 18 twist Renegade/17 twist Rice barrel . Not in front of me but Tom makes #2 molds .400 sabot mold , I bought both but the larger is what you want ((great BC) too Custom work with his back log neither of us will live that long :roll: Found it 40-290S drops around 300 gr

Last edited:
Rather than reinvent the wheel Tom already as listed the sabot bullet in lead your looking for ! It is super accurate in my CVA 50 (pocket rocket) and shoots lights out in my 18 twist Renegade/17 twist Rice barrel . Not in front of me but Tom makes #2 molds .400 sabot mold , I bought both but the larger is what you want ((great BC) too Custom work with his back log neither of us will live that long :roll: Found it 40-290S drops around 300 gr
I was looking at the #40-290S mold just before I created the thread. How do you think that bullet will stabilize in the 1:28" twist of my Optima V2 pistol?

I'm looking to shoot Swiss fffg black powder, the dark blue #H15040BL, Harvester Crush Rib .50 caliber sabot for 0.400" bullets, and probably with use a RWS, or Schuetzen musket cap on the CVA Northwest QRBP musket cap breech plug for ignition.

I have other breech plugs for 209 primers, and a Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP large rifle primer module breech plug if rifle primers ever become readily available again. Little did I know when I first got the pistol, that primers, 209 & large rifle (magnum & standard both), along with musket caps were what I should have been purchasing, instead of tools & parts.

Ed, what propellants are you using with the bullets dropping from the #40-290S mold? What kinds of velocities are you achieving with your loads?

I used the JBM Stability Calculator with the following information.......

Bullet Diameter = 0.400 inches
Bullet Weight = 300.9434 grains
Bullet Length = 1.000 inches
Bullet Muzzle Velocity = 1,750 feet per second
Barrel's Rate of Twist = 1:28 inches
Ambient Temperature = 59° Fahrenheit
Barometric Pressure = 29.92 inches mercury

Stability Factor = 1.358 (in the green)

I just spitballed the 1,750 fps velocity figure so I could have something to input. No idea if that figure is even close to accurate data.

I can tell you it works great in my 28/17/18 twist with the light blue harvester in my 45 and dark blue in my 50 s (for sure) /OE 2+3 F in all ! And did I mention great BC! I use CCI #11 /CCI 209 and waiting on a Platinum #11 nipple for the Rice barrel along with a 1000 CCI Mag primers since the regular 209 primers arn"t working in the Rice barrel . Guess that's why every one uses the mags although regular always work in the cheap nipples just not the $60.00 one!/Ed

Ed, what propellants are you using with the bullets dropping from the #40-290S mold? What kinds of velocities are you achieving with your loads?

I used the JBM Stability Calculator with the following information.......

Bullet Diameter = 0.400 inches
Bullet Weight = 300.9434 grains
Bullet Length = 1.000 inches
Bullet Muzzle Velocity = 1,750 feet per second
Barrel's Rate of Twist = 1:28 inches
Ambient Temperature = 59° Fahrenheit
Barometric Pressure = 29.92 inches mercury

Stability Factor = 1.358 (in the green)

I just spitballed the 1,750 fps velocity figure so I could have something to input. No idea if that figure is even close to accurate data.
Not known as I have not dragged the chrono out yet ,still developing loads for 5 I think new to me guns and even a Gamo Bone collector 22 air rifle (A strange new world with out worrying about cost /cleaning availability ) I think I love it and the squirrels/chipmunk's are going to hate it !/Ed

Thinking about ordering a .50 I bullet mold now. Wish I could find one someone was getting rid of. Accurate’s wait time is 8 weeks out.
Order the mold ,maybe inquire about purchasing 25-50/100 from a member (not me don't have one ) but that will make the wait shorter and get you shooting ! /Ed

I cast them of 30:1 alloy, size them .400 for target shooting, .401 for hunting. I have two TC side locks lined and rifled by Bobby Hoyt and they’re just sweet shooting little rifles.

Last edited:
Back