Accurate Molds #51-450M Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Accurate Molds #51-450M, This is My Version of the Bullshop Bullet, in the Beginning i sent an Original Bullshop .504-460 To Accurate Molds and had Tom Duplicate it, I went with an Aluminum Mold, The Bullet ended up Shooting AWESOME just like the Original, Over the last few Years I decided to Replace my Aluminum Molds with Steel, And in Doing so i had a Few slight Changes made to the Bullets. I did away with the Bevel Base, and Taper Design, Since i Size Bullets on a “Per Bore” Basis, There is Simply no need for a Taper Design.

Target from the Video above
6VmoHNFl.jpg

The New Steel Mold
CK7HYVVl.jpg

KM7HQ1Sl.jpg

The original bullshop bullet shot great out of both of my White 504 cal rifles and my 50cal GM LRH. Your test of the new mold has my attention. Accurate will be getting an Email very soon!:lewis:

The original bullshop bullet shot great out of both of my White 504 cal rifles and my 50cal GM LRH. Your test of the new mold has my attention. Accurate will be getting an Email very soon!:lewis:

Anytime you make a Change it’s always a concern “is it gonna shoot as good, or not?” It was comforting to See this Bullet Shoot good! I stil have my Original Bullshop Mold, i Thought About Selling all 3 of them? But then thought No, i would Rather Keep all 3 Original Designs, they are all WELL Proven Bullets. I simply DESPISE the Aluminum Molds, And Regret ever Purchasing Aluminum

The Changes i had made, i felt were good ones, After being in the Hobby this amount of time, and learning what i have, I am not Fond of Bevel Base Bullets (Even Though mine have Shot Good) I prefer a Nice Solid, Straight Bullet Base. A lot of what i Do comes from Observation, I pay CLOSE attention to BPCR Guy’s, How many of their Bullets/Molds do you see with Bevel Bases? I cannot think of 1 Single Bullet? Those Guy’s are gonna use what Shoots the Best :lewis:

The other Change was The Taper Design, Since i size Bullets to Fit each Particular Bore, There is Just no need to Have a Tapered Bullet That i am Sizing off, UNLESS you Cast of Pure Lead Exclusively, You are a Hunter and Don’t want to Size, The Tapered Design Bullets are Great For Hunting, They “usually” load good n tight. A lot of people Don’t Realize that Dan’s Bullshop Bullet is actually a Tapered Bullet, They order them Sized From him, But Straight from his Mold (The bullets you left me to Try) Are TAPERED! Fairly HEAVILY Tapered! The 2 Bottom Bands measure .504, the 3rd band .506, and .508 for the Top Band.

The MAIN thing to Remember when ordering a Mold from Tom is to Remember that he has a “Plus/Minus” Tolerance Window of .002, So if you KNOW that you need a Bullet to Drop at .504, You would Go with .504, and his PLUS Tolerance, This GUARANTEES the Bullet will be .504, And could Possibly be as big as .506, And His Minus Tolerance is EXACTLY Reverse. When Ordering a Mold you are Better off if that Mold Drops a Bullet a Little to Large than to Small, To large and you can EASILY Size to Your Needs. To Small and you are in Trouble

Accurate Molds #51-450M, This is My Version of the Bullshop Bullet, in the Beginning i sent an Original Bullshop .504-460 To Accurate Molds and had Tom Duplicate it, I went with an Aluminum Mold, The Bullet ended up Shooting AWESOME just like the Original, Over the last few Years I decided to Replace my Aluminum Molds with Steel, And in Doing so i had a Few slight Changes made to the Bullets. I did away with the Bevel Base, and Taper Design, Since i Size Bullets on a “Per Bore” Basis, There is Simply no need for a Taper Design.

Target from the Video above
6VmoHNFl.jpg

The New Steel Mold
CK7HYVVl.jpg

KM7HQ1Sl.jpg

That bottom land appears smaller than all the rest..... most of accurate molds show a longer bottom land, that’s how I have built every mold I have built, after that target,I might rethink that little detail...great shootin!

That bottom land appears smaller than all the rest..... most of accurate molds show a longer bottom land, that’s how I have built every mold I have built, after that target,I might rethink that little detail...great shootin!

Your Bullet Looks, and Shoots AWESOME! I wouldn’t change anything!

It’s funny you mention this, and the ONLY one that has Said anything about that. I actually did NOT like the Short Bottom band on this Bullet at first, But this Was Copied DIRECTLY from an Original Bullshop .504-460 and that Bullet FLAT OUT Shoots!! My Lightest Weight, 395 Grain .50 Cal Accurate Mold is this EXACT Same way. I didn’t think to say anything in Draw up, and that is just How Tom Drew it up, i agreed upon it. And here again like the Bullshop, The Little 395 Grain Bullet Shoots STELLAR! These 2 Bullets made me Think that it really Doesn’t matter? Like Jim at BACO Told me, it’s about a Well Balanced Bullet, I believe that, They will Shoot Forward, or Backward, I’ve Tested it! :D

Look at how tall the Bottom Band is on this Custom BACO Mold i had Made
IOMBS7al.jpg

Here it is Shot Normal, Bullet Shot VERY well, This was only 60-70 Yards, But shows that it Shoots :lewis:
WBwjC4vl.jpg

The last Shot, I intentionally loaded the Bullet Backward and Shot it (This is on Video, I show the Bullet being pushed in the Bore Backwards :)) I wish i had Enough Bullets here to Have Shot a 3 Shot Group Backwards, But it was my Last Bullet. As you can see by the Hole, It was Flying True Here, The Bullet Base Punched a Perfect Hole in the Target, Like it was Done with a Paper Punch
7bAoWnGl.jpg

Once again, Here is where my Thinking comes from on the Taller Bottom Band, BPCR Guy’s and their Bullets, See a Pattern here ;) I am a VERY OBSERVANT Person, I pay attention to things that are Proven to Work/Win, BPCR Guy’s like Gullo And Shaver’s and MANY others, They are some of the Most Serious, Competitive Folks in the Game

Here are a Few WELL Proven Long Range Bullets. Note the Base Bands.

BACO Elliptical, Tall Bottom Band :)
Llpi1IT.jpg

And here is a Lee Shaver’s Design Muzzleloader Bullet, Look how high up the 1st Lube Groove is from The Base on Lee’s Bullet, Shaver’s Told me the Story over the Phone on how he Designed, and Named this Bullet, It involves a Big Airliner :)
KazL1WY.jpg

Here is another SOUGHT after BPCR Bullet, Called a Postsell
Original Postsell
Slightly more rounded (heavier in the nose) than the Creedmoor. Very old design. The original good bullet style.

And here again, a Taller Base Band
x4eSdR3.jpg

Another thing I Noticed about Most Top used BPCR Bullets, All of them that i have seen have “Inset Lube Grooves” vs “Exterior Bands” With an “inset Groove” the Bearing Surface is the Main Bullet Body, Where an “Exterior Band” Bullets Bearing Surface is the Bands themselves.

Does it mean anything? I don’t know? I have had REALLY Good Luck with Both. But I have never Shot an “Exterior Band” Bullet like the Bullshop to any REAL Long Ranges, 200-300 Yards Max is where i have taken them and they Did good there! But Maybe they Don’t Fly as Well at Longer Ranges? I do believe in the BPCR Folks, they Shoot what Works/Wins, And I don’t see them Shooting “Exterior Band” Bullets

An “Exterior Band” Bullet, this is my Accurate Molds #46-380M, I had the Bevel Removed on my new Version of this Bullet, Tom asked if i wanted to update the Catalog to my Newest Versions? I didn’t, As these Shot REALLY well. But since i was going to Steel Molds i had The Changes made that i felt were better

Note that None of the BPCR Bullets i Show Above look like this
5kEkYdHm.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing I Noticed about Most Top used BPCR Bullets, All of them that i have seen have “Inset Lube Grooves” vs “Exterior Bands” With an “inset Groove” the Bearing Surface is the Main Bullet Body, Where an “Exterior Band” Bullets Bearing Surface is the Bands themselves.

Does it mean anything? I don’t know? I have had REALLY Good Luck with Both. But I have never Shot an “Exterior Band” Bullet like the Bullshop to any REAL Long Ranges, 200-300 Yards Max is where i have taken them and they Did good there! But Maybe they Don’t Fly as Well at Longer Ranges? I do believe in the BPCR Folks, they Shoot what Works/Wins, And I don’t see them Shooting “Exterior Band” Bullets

An “Exterior Band” Bullet, this is my Accurate Molds #46-380M, I had the Bevel Removed on my new Version of this Bullet, Tom asked if i wanted to update the Catalog to my Newest Versions? I didn’t, As these Shot REALLY well. But since i was going to Steel Molds i had The Changes made that i felt were better

Note that None of the BPCR Bullets i Show Above look like this
5kEkYdHm.jpg
That’s what I was trying to accomplish on my bullet, losing the ridge at the nose. I’ll probably cut one more mold with that same profile I sent you, only increase the diameter of the meplat and make it .020-.030 longer to try and keep the weight about the same. For hunting of course. I want to shoot a few of the ones I sent you into water jugs then sand to see how the mushroom. 100 yards, I wouldn’t think twice about shooting a deer, beyond that???????

It’s funny you mention this, and the ONLY one that has Said anything about that. I actually did NOT like the Short Bottom band on this Bullet at first, But this Was Copied DIRECTLY from an Original Bullshop .504-460 and that Bullet FLAT OUT Shoots!! My Lightest Weight, 395 Grain .50 Cal Accurate Mold is this EXACT Same way. I didn’t think to say anything in Draw up, and that is just How Tom Drew it up, i agreed upon it. And here again like the Bullshop, The Little 395 Grain Bullet Shoots STELLAR! These 2 Bullets made me Think that it really Doesn’t matter? Like Jim at BACO Told me, it’s about a Well Balanced Bullet, I believe that, They will Shoot Forward, or Backward, I’ve Tested it! :D

IOMBS7al.jpg

Here it is Shot Normal, Bullet Shot VERY well, This was only 60-70 Yards, But shows that it Shoots :lewis:
WBwjC4vl.jpg

The last Shot, I intentionally loaded the Bullet Backward and Shot it (This is on Video, I show the Bullet being pushed in the Bore Backwards :)) I wish i had Enough Bullets here to Have Shot a 3 Shot Group Backwards, But it was my Last Bullet. As you can see by the Hole, It was Flying True Here, The Bullet Base Punched a Perfect Hole in the Target, Like it was Done with a Paper Punch
7bAoWnGl.jpg

Once again, Here is where my Thinking comes from on the Taller Bottom Band, BPCR Guy’s and their Bullets, See a Pattern here ;) I am a VERY OBSERVANT Person, I pay attention to things that are Proven to Work/Win, BPCR Guy’s like Gullo And Shaver’s and MANY others, They are some of the Most Serious, Competitive Folks in the Game

Llpi1IT.jpg

And here is a Lee Shaver’s Design Muzzleloader Bullet, Look how high up the 1st Lube Groove is from The Base on Lee’s Bullet, Shaver’s Told me the Story over the Phone on how he Designed, and Named this Bullet, It involves a Big Airliner :)
KazL1WY.jpg

Original Postsell
Slightly more rounded (heavier in the nose) than the Creedmoor. Very old design. The original good bullet style.

x4eSdR3.jpg

IOMBS7al.jpg

WBwjC4vl.jpg

7bAoWnGl.jpg

Llpi1IT.jpg

KazL1WY.jpg

Original Postsell

x4eSdR3.jpg
It sure seems to me, the longer base band would just give a little more protection from any gas cutting, it’s obvious from your groups with your clone, it doesn’t make a lot of difference

Back