Accurate molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squatch84

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with accurate molds 54-440B?
I ordered one to start my journey of casting my own bullets.
Just wondering how it compares to commercial bullets.
So far I only have experience with the Hornady great plains, CVA deerslayer and maxi balls.
Bought this one to try a heavier bullet.

You have complete control of how it compares to commercial bullets, you are the quality control supervisor👍
Watch some of idaholewis’ videos on YouTube. Pretty awesome instruction on there.

You have complete control of how it compares to commercial bullets, you are the quality control supervisor👍
Watch some of idaholewis’ videos on YouTube. Pretty awesome instruction on there.

He's actually one of the reason I started getting into longer range and using bullets.
I mainly just shot PRB in flintlocks for the past 15 years.
I have experience casting roundball but the conical casting is new to me.
I didn't know how that particular bullet would compare performance wise to say a maxi ball. I almost bought a mold for his I bullet but I was a little intimidated lol.
I guess I should state that I'll be using a 1:48 twist Lyman barrel with a mule ear percussion system. Customized it for this purpose.

That looks very similar to Docs bullet designs. I bet it will shoot awesome.

Attachments

• 47B44DE5-ED2F-4B86-926F-627F61B33A93.png
    47B44DE5-ED2F-4B86-926F-627F61B33A93.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 7
He's actually one of the reason I started getting into longer range and using bullets.
I mainly just shot PRB in flintlocks for the past 15 years.
I have experience casting roundball but the conical casting is new to me.
I didn't know how that particular bullet would compare performance wise to say a maxi ball. I almost bought a mold for his I bullet but I was a little intimidated lol.
I guess I should state that I'll be using a 1:48 twist Lyman barrel with a mule ear percussion system. Customized it for this purpose.

Welcome to the Forum :lewis: I just shot my .54i Bullet yesterday to 200 Yards in a Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade, They shot REALLY well :lewis:

The Lyman Plains is another REALLY Good Bullet (if you can find a Mold these Days?) I would take my Accurate Molds 54 i bullet over it, I am not Crazy about Tapered design Muzzleloader Bullets, I MUCH prefer to Size a Bullet to fit a Bore, That said, One can’t argue with the Success i have Had/Showed OVER N OVER again with the Lyman Plains Bullet.

If you need any help, just Shout :lewis:

I binged a bunch of your videos.
Haven't had any luck finding the plains bullet mold (besides one's that were going for a ridiculous amount). One reason I picked that mold from accurate, it looked similar but I'm not as knowledgeable on the designs yet.
All I have been shooting so far has been bullets that I bought, some old stock CVA deerslayers,Hornady plains bullets and some maxi balls.
The maxi I have though were loose packed and their bases were trashed. Learned that from one of your videos which would explain why I was a little disappointed with that one.

I binged a bunch of your videos.
Haven't had any luck finding the plains bullet mold (besides one's that were going for a ridiculous amount). One reason I picked that mold from accurate, it looked similar but I'm not as knowledgeable on the designs yet.
All I have been shooting so far has been bullets that I bought, some old stock CVA deerslayers,Hornady plains bullets and some maxi balls.
The maxi I have though were loose packed and their bases were trashed. Learned that from one of your videos which would explain why I was a little disappointed with that one.

Store Bought Lead Bullets SUCK for the Most part, Maxi Balls & Maxi Hunters are a Couple of my Least favorite Bullets.

The Hornady Plains bullets seems to be the best option out there, But I don’t believe they make it in .54 Cal anymore? I am not Crazy about them, But they did shoot pretty well, I am not fond of a Cupped Base Bullet like they are, I prefer a Flat Base Bullet with an 1/8” Thick Wool Felt Wad under it’s Base :lewis:

Yea the Hornady plains bullet that I've been shooting was old stock as well. They had them at deer creek products.

Just finding stuff in .54 the past few months has been a trial. I did pick up a Lee R.E.A.L mold in .54 but haven't had a chance to cast it. Got that because the wait time for accurate right now is 10 weeks. The Maxi I will just end up melting down I guess.
The felt wad over the powder is something I'm going to try.

Yea the Hornady plains bullet that I've been shooting was old stock as well. They had them at deer creek products.

Just finding stuff in .54 the past few months has been a trial. I did pick up a Lee R.E.A.L mold in .54 but haven't had a chance to cast it. Got that because the wait time for accurate right now is 10 weeks. The Maxi I will just end up melting down I guess.
The felt wad over the powder is something I'm going to try.

Which weight Lee R.E.A.L. Did you get?

Looks pretty good. Only the bottom band is undersized. Run the .8" length through a calculator. Its probably got a good chance of shooting. Even tweaking the numbers down to 1200fps and 465gr it got a 1.7+ which is solid in the "green zone"
DSa626Q.png

54-440B-D.png

Last edited:
I have about 40 bullet molds from many different makers. Three of these molds are Accurate molds and two more Accurate molds are on the way.

Accurate molds drop the bullet just as I specified in the order. The weight is spot on and the bullet mikes out just right.

For an inexpensive mold for your muzzle loader, try the Lee Real mold. I have one for my 45 cal and one for my 58 cal... both shoot very accurately.

I did go ahead and purchase the lee mold since I'll be waiting on the accurate molds, casting this weekend from that one.

Latest posts

Back