Added another .45 Accurate Mold to the Stable

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I came up with this idea from my Accurate Molds #45-412L, As It has quickly become one of my Favorite Bullets. I wanted a Bullet that looked like it, But weighed in the 345-350 Grain Range, Like the Lyman Gould, i also wanted the Bearing Surface to be at least the Same as the Lyman Gould or a little more, I ended up going a little more on the Bearing Surface, The Lyman Gould has a Bearing surface of .51 This new Mold has a Bearing surface of .54, All i can say is Tom NAILED IT! The Man knows his Business EXTREMELY well. These Steel/Iron Accurate Bullet Molds are my Favorite Bullet Molds of ALL, I HIGHLY Recommend them :lewis: They are truly a Pleasure to Cast from

Mold is Iron/Steel of course, I don’t Dig Aluminum Molds
qGh81wC.jpg

Casts a SWEET looking Bullet, Typical Accurate Molds Quality :lewis:
Qk0VirW.jpg

They come in at 346.5 to 347 Grains, EXACTLY What i was Hoping for
deSywHC.jpg

SWEET!!! Can’t wait to see your targets.

This time of year in this Country is tough for Shooting, It is FULL SWING Deer Season right now, until the 1st of December, The Mountains are FULL of People. Then there is a Short week long Cow Elk season that Starts the Day after Deer Season Closes, it is a Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt, 1 mile of Private Land deal (Pretty much a Joke here) it runs Dec 2nd til the 8th

In short, I probably won’t get a Chance to Test these New Bullets til sometime after the 8th of December when All of the Hunting/Hunters Clear Out. The little 60 Yard Pit just up the Rd Where i have been doing most of my Short Range Bullet Testing is probably Snowed in now, it is a Steep Drop off Road down in to it. And to top it off, The County plowing the Rds Builds up a Berm along the Rd edge, I highly doubt that i could Get back up out of there now? It’s not worth trying It! On a Good Note, i have found what appears to be an AWESOME Spot to Shoot this Winter, after All Hunting Seasons are Closed, It is a New State Logging Site, they opened up a Large chunk of Ground, and it’s not to Far away from me. I think i can shoot 200 Yards there, Maybe more? it sure looks like it anyway :lewis:

A couple of Comparison pics against my Lyman Gould

O4d4TGB.jpg

Pick your Poison :D
DmpW3PC.jpg

Here you can see the Red Arrow pointing to the Top of the Bearing surface of my New Bullet, again it is .54, The Lyman Gould’s Bearing surface is .51, The Gould’s bearing surface is Obviously the Top Band
YMJFxwY.jpg

I know not everyone will agree but my preference is the large meplat over the hollow point. Extra bearing surface is a plus. After watching your video shooting the Lyman Gould in a 48 twist and how well it performed I can only think this one will equal or better perform with its shorter total length.

I know not everyone will agree but my preference is the large meplat over the hollow point. Extra bearing surface is a plus. After watching your video shooting the Lyman Gould in a 48 twist and how well it performed I can only think this one will equal or better perform with its shorter total length.

The Lyman Gould is NO DOUBT a good Bullet, But I can’t say that i am a Huge Fan of a Hollow Point ML Bullet, Though i am definitely not against them, Especially for Deer. If Given a Choice of 2 Well Proven bullets, a Hollow Point, and a Wide Meplat? I would take the Wide Meplat over the Hollow Point ANY Day :lewis: This is Precisely why i had this Bullet Made, I wanted a Wide Meplat Bullet in the Same Weight Range, and Bearing Surface as the Lyman Gould

My Biggest Complaint with the Lyman Gould (and ALL of my other 45 Cal Lyman Molds for that matter) is the LARGE Size they Drop from the Mold. First off, they were never intended for Bore Diameter Muzzleloader, They were intended for Cartridge Guns (45-70 Etc.) Which are Shot Groove Diameter, So these Bullets Cast at, or slightly above Groove Diameter, which is Typically .458, My Lyman Gould Bullet Drops at .459-.460, and weighs 350 Grains. Sizing these .459ish Bullets is a PITA in my opinion, and definitely FAR from Ideal. I do it in 2 Steps, I send them through my .454 First, then .451, .452 Etc. Going from .459 ALL THE WAY DOWN to .451 is a HUGE Step, and if not Lubed EXTREMELY well you Will RUIN Bullets, By severe Finning, And messing up the Bases.

In short, it is MUCH MUCH Better to have a Mold Made that is Within .002 or there Close abouts over your Bore Diameter, it is MUCH easier on you, and more importantly the Bullet to only have to Size .002, than .007-.008

Sweet bullets man!! I know what your going through with Idaho hunting. I personally see and deal with that as well. We seriously need to get together soon or when we can lol. I seriously need to learn the art of casting and sizing. If they shoot well I will be looking into a better bullet than what I am using now lol. At least I am finally getting the rice burner(tc Hawkins 32” custom rice barrel) shooting good. But having difficulties with sizing and bullets Ect .... oh the joys of muzzle stuffers!!!

Sweet bullets man!! I know what your going through with Idaho hunting. I personally see and deal with that as well. We seriously need to get together soon or when we can lol. I seriously need to learn the art of casting and sizing. If they shoot well I will be looking into a better bullet than what I am using now lol. At least I am finally getting the rice burner(tc Hawkins 32” custom rice barrel) shooting good. But having difficulties with sizing and bullets Ect .... oh the joys of muzzle stuffers!!!
You will get the hang of it.

The Lyman Gould is NO DOUBT a good Bullet, But I can’t say that i am a Huge Fan of a Hollow Point ML Bullet, Though i am definitely not against them, Especially for Deer. If Given a Choice of 2 Well Proven bullets, a Hollow Point, and a Wide Meplat? I would take the Wide Meplat over the Hollow Point ANY Day :lewis: This is Precisely why i had this Bullet Made, I wanted a Wide Meplat Bullet in the Same Weight Range, and Bearing Surface as the Lyman Gould

My Biggest Complaint with the Lyman Gould (and ALL of my other 45 Cal Lyman Molds for that matter) is the LARGE Size they Drop from the Mold. First off, they were never intended for Bore Diameter Muzzleloader, They were intended for Cartridge Guns (45-70 Etc.) Which are Shot Groove Diameter, So these Bullets Cast at, or slightly above Groove Diameter, which is Typically .458, My Lyman Gould Bullet Drops at .459-.460, and weighs 350 Grains. Sizing these .459ish Bullets is a PITA in my opinion, and definitely FAR from Ideal. I do it in 2 Steps, I send them through my .454 First, then .451, .452 Etc. Going from .459 ALL THE WAY DOWN to .451 is a HUGE Step, and if not Lubed EXTREMELY well you Will RUIN Bullets, By severe Finning, And messing up the Bases.

In short, it is MUCH MUCH Better to have a Mold Made that is Within .002 or there Close abouts over your Bore Diameter, it is MUCH easier on you, and more importantly the Bullet to only have to Size .002, than .007-.008
Yeah +0.002-0.003” over is what I shoot for. Don’t always hit it, but try to. I feel the sizing process restores any concentricity that might be lost in the casting process (mould fit etc...) so I’d rather size than have them drop exact. Might be off base there, but it makes sense in my head..lol

Yeah +0.002-0.003” over is what I shoot for. Don’t always hit it, but try to. I feel the sizing process restores any concentricity that might be lost in the casting process (mould fit etc...) so I’d rather size than have them drop exact. Might be off base there, but it makes sense in my head..lol

You are SPOT ON my Friend! It’s easier to Size a Few thou, than get to Small from the Mold, and be Stuck with a Slip Fit “Bore/Land Rider”

We live PLENTY Close enough (45 minutes, maybe an Hour away?) You are Welcome to come up any time, I will walk you through all of this Stuff. I can save you a LOT of time, and Headaches :lewis:

I would like to get the info on the Fella that Blued your RICE Barrel, i have a New RICE 1:24 Twist .50 Cal in the Making, i would like to have a nice Blue Job done on it :lewis: He is Local there right, Cda?

Last edited:
Mel Doyle is his name he is out of Plummer Idaho and hour south of me on 95 on your way to stmarrys

Hey lewis I know your looking of mel Doyle’s number is 208 686 1006. His wife will probably answer he usually is in the shop. Leave a message and they will return your phone call. There great people(older in age)

Latest posts

Back