Added one to my mk 85 collection

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that rifle brought good money. But it looks like a nice rifle. What twist did that rifle have?

Dave, I am confident that it will have a 1 in 24 inch twist. I paid a bit more than I wanted to but these are hard to find and it looks in near new condition.

Hey! If you wanted it then never concern yourself with the price. That is a nice rifle I am sure, Should be a good shooter. I have made some purchases on rifles that by some standards could be called extravagant (according to my family). But as I tell them, I wanted it. End of argument. I can't wait to see some range reports from you with that rifle.

flounder said:
I have been interested in a .45 mk 85 for quite a while but you hardly ever see them. I saw this one on Gunbroker and it looks pretty darn nice so I splurged. Now the waiting begins.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/647038065

It does look very nice. It should definitely be a 1:24 twist. The serial # is over 2000 higher than mine exactly like it only in .50 cal. I bought it new back in the late 80's.

I would guess that it was built in 1990, possibly 1989, but not before. It is missing the hood on the front sight ramp, and I'm pretty sure that Pachmayer recoil pad is not original. I believe that Pachmayer might have made the knight recoil pads back then, they were the same color and material, but mine has KNIGHT MK-85 molded into it. Everything else looks original, right down to the nipple.

The overall condition looks outstanding, and had probably only been shot once or twice, if ever. As you already know, the .45 calibers in 1:24 twist are hard to find.

It should be an outstanding shooter with either full bore conicals or saboted bullets. Not many rifles feel like the original MK-85's, nor match the craftsmanship. Fit, finish, deep bluing on a nice sleek chunk of walnut. It just don't get any better than that. Just look at all the money and time I could have saved, had I stopped right there.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20170530_132402.jpeg
    20170530_132402.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 20170530_132432.jpeg
    20170530_132432.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 346
Thanks for the great information Busta.
I have two mk 85s that have the Pachmayer recoil pads without the Knight name or logo on them. One is on a laminated thumbhole stock on a six groove SS barrel serial #2820SS, the other is on an earlier blued rifle with a 1 in 28 twist Numrich barrel, serial # in the 4000s, laminated stock. This 50 caliber Numrich barrel is 22" long, the only one I have seen in that length on an mk 85. I am lucky enough to own three of them with the 20" carbine barrel, two in 50 and one in 54. If I could ever come across a 36 caliber I would sure be tempted to add it to my collection.
I have a special fondness for the mk 85. Sure you get some blowback, but these rifles have a fit and feel to them that is unsurpassed, in my opinion.

The rifle was sitting on my porch when the warden and I got home from the lake. I'm always a bit apprehensive when buying on an auction site but things look as good as I could have possibly hoped for. I am sure it had never been fired.
I was a little surprised the barrel has eight grooves instead of the six I was expecting. The twist rate is 1 in 24 inches so all is well.
I hope to do some shooting with it in the next couple weeks.
Art

Does this Knight have two lugs like the White Model 97's? Kinda looks like a second lug screw in the rear of the trigger guard (like White). Very nice looking rifle Art!

flounder said:
I was a little surprised the barrel has eight grooves instead of the six I was expecting. The twist rate is 1 in 24 inches so all is well.

Mine is an 8 land also in SS. I pulled it out of the Cabinet and plan on shooting it again soon as the last time it was shot was in 2012. How time flies.

toytruck said:
Does this Knight have two lugs like the White Model 97's? Kinda looks like a second lug screw in the rear of the trigger guard (like White). Very nice looking rifle Art!
Just the single lug Steve. It's a heavy lug though and I'm not afraid to shoot some serious lead through this rifle.

Latest posts

Back