Adding Sidelock Drum Clean Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was reading an old thread where Idaholewis removed a factory burr inside a barrel on a TC sidelock and was wondering...

I haven't seen this but has anyone actually drilled and added a drum cleanout hole and screw under the nipple?

Here is a picture of Lewis' sidelock with Allen screw.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 7.18.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 7.18.00 PM.png
    238 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hal, That was quite the little Project, it was fun to do with my new Bore Scope :lewis:

It was pretty cool...What do you think about adding a cleanout? Or, have you ever seen this done?

It was pretty cool...What do you think about adding a cleanout? Or, have you ever seen this done?

I wouldn’t ad one Hal, The Cleanout Screw is simply a Plug That the Manufacture had no Choice but to use to Plug the Hole that they HAD to Make in the Breech Plug to enter the Powder Chamber. The Hole is Drilled Across the Plug, Connecting under the Nipple to the Powder Chamber. Some Breech Plugs have the Cleanout Screw, and Some Don’t. The ones that Don’t (Actually DO :)) if you look closely on the opposite side of the Barrel, You will see a “Flush Plug” Where they went in that Way, And used a Piece of Threaded Rod Stock, Cut it Flush and Blued Over it

With a Brand New Barrel, or a New to me Barrel, If it has a “Cleanout” Screw, I Remove the Screw and Goop it up good with an Anti Seize, I put it Back and FORGET that it’s there! It serves ZERO Purpose for me in Cleaning.

I wouldn’t ad one Hal, The Cleanout Screw is simply a Plug That the Manufacture had no Choice but to use to Plug the Hole that they HAD to Make in the Breech Plug to enter the Powder Chamber. The Hole is Drilled Across the Plug, Connecting under the Nipple to the Powder Chamber. Some Breech Plugs have the Cleanout Screw, and Some Don’t. The ones that Don’t (Actually DO :)) if you look closely on the opposite side of the Barrel, You will see a “Flush Plug” Where they went in that Way, And used a Piece of Threaded Rod Stock, Cut it Flush and Blued Over it

With a Brand New Barrel, or a New to me Barrel, If it has a “Cleanout” Screw, I Remove the Screw and Goop it up good with an Anti Seize, I put it Back and FORGET that it’s there! It serves ZERO Purpose for me in Cleaning.
If you ever saw one blow out you wouldn't mess with it at all

If you ever saw one blow out you wouldn't mess with it at all

EXACTLY! This is why I don’t like to refer to this Screw as a “Cleanout Screw” in my opinion it should be left WELL enough alone. It is 100% Unnecessary to Remove it for Cleaning. Some folks think that it needs to be Removed for Cleaning? That is Simply NOT THE CASE, Leave it alone is the Best thing you can do :lewis: It was put there because it HAD TO BE to plug the Hole, due to the Way it was Made

I was thinking and asked on another post about the extra breech plug screw. The only time I ever used it was to help dig out some rain soaked powder. Helped to get a pick in a little deeper, to clear out the wet powder and make some room for a pinch of 4F! Two other barrels without them. I’ve refined my rain protection since, but you never know! That’s why I keep a little bottle of 4F in my possibles bag.

The more times you take out the screw and put it back in tight, the more wear and tear on those threads. Over tighten it and stressing the threads weakens them to the point that they can strip off and that plug turns into a tiny little steel bullet. Right next to yer face.

Such gloom & doom!!! I’ve never had a problem with mine ( knock on wood ). I run mine in snug then back off a 1/4 turn. Gives a little play if it does get stuck. Anti-seize of course, started using the copper kind. It takes more heat!

I hadn't heard of clean out screws blowing out. Is this a common problem? What caused the issue?

NO, it is not common. In fact i have never seen, nor heard of one Blowing out. That’s not say it Can’t Happen. Think about the Pressure at the Breech Plug when you fire a Muzzleloader with a Big heavy bullet (The Heavier the Bullet, The more Pressure) That Bullet being pushed down the Bore is generating a LOT of Pressure at the Breech end. ANY Weakness back there, Could Spell Disaster.

Just think of the ”Clean Out” Screw for what it is, It is a Screw placed in a Hole to BLOCK that hole from the Machining Process. I would leave them WELL ENOUGH ALONE! There is NO NEED to remove them for Cleaning

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...-with-“cleanout-screw”-how-it-was-made.36408/

Thanks guys...I had just been reading one of Lewis' posts about his camera and saw the above picture and wondered...

If the threads are strong enough to remove and replace the nipple every time you clean it then... it should be the same for the clean out screw?

Latest posts

Back