Adjustable peep sight setups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1 i just pictured is from Buffalo Arms quite sometime back, Just a cheap plastic box with magnetic halves, I only use this when i target shoot, it works fine for that purpose but I wouldn’t trust it for any type of rugged use. After buying this cheap one i was gonna make a nice Rugged one with Stronger magnetic halves but just haven’t got around to doing so.

Kind of what I figured. Have played with the refrigerator magnets, but haven’t found any that really hold the inserts in place very well. Need to look a bit harder. For sure, many aspects of this sport are do it yourself. The magnets I have around the house are just strong enough to hold the advertisement in place. Will expand my search.

Boomer said:
Ron, looking at your pictures with the sight set at 250, I have one observation. Looks like when you set the sight to zero, the bridge, for lack of a better term, is still quite a ways above the base, correct?

When the sight is set for 50 yards it is at 0 on my scale. I could use a 17AHB or I could shim but to be honest I am very comfortable where it sits. That change would amount to .090" roughly the thickness of a quarter. It really depends on a persons face length? A person with a longer face will have to really press to get their face into a low set up. I agree that a taller bridge height might expose the sight to more potential damage in the field, and for some shooters it will probably be more comfortable. I have been hunting with mine like that for 14 years I think now. Most of the time I take the sight off and put it in my front pocket when I am traveling in a truck or an ATV. If I can't keep my hands on it I take the sight off.

Boomer said:
Silly question. What do you guys use to keep your front sight inserts organized? I’ve got about 30 and they are easy to misplace.

Ideas.....

To be honest I have the ones in the sight and I carry a couple extras in a ear plug case. All of my guns use only the medium pin. My son uses the crosshair. He has a couple extra in a ear plug case in his shooting bag. I don't carry the others they stay in a box in my range box.

Don’t see myself changing front globe inserts while hunting. Definitely a range activity. As far as hunting, leaning towards crosshairs, although, still considering one of the pins. Currently have the three rifles set up with Lyman globes. Looking at two more. Not impressed with Lyman inserts. If I use the Lee Shavers crosshairs on each rifle, will need multiple sets of inserts or will be moving a limited number of inserts from rifle to rifle. Looking for best practical way to store unused inserts for each rifle. Doesn’t always happen, but like to stay organized.

Or maybe I am overthinking things......

I was thinking Lewis said Lee would make a whole card of one type. Lew did you tell me that?

idahoron said:
I was thinking Lewis said Lee would make a whole card of one type. Lew did you tell me that?

That was me Ron. This is one of the things i did ask Lee about (along with the tritium lighted insert) he didn’t say he would, or wouldn’t? And I didn’t pursue on with it, i was REALLY hoping he would go for the Tritium pin, The last he said was he thought that Tritium was Radioactive? I took it he didn’t wanna handle that stuff, guess I can’t blame him :lol: He did talk about a Fiber optic type setup, but i haven’t seen, or heard anymore about it? At the time i was dealing with the same dilemma as boomer, i was hooked on his 2 pins, and felt it was a shame to buy a whole Card of 10 inserts for the 2 pins only, And having multiple guns it is a pain to be constantly swapping them out. I ended up buying about 4 of his Cards over the last few years so i have plenty of the Pins now. I have changed gears the last year or so, My absolute favorite inserts are his Circles, That is For Target/Bench Shooting (Which is 99% of what i do) But For Hunting i definitely want the Pins :yeah: With the Circles it comes down to matching them with a Circle Bull Target, once you get a Match for “your” eye on a Circle Bull with a Circle insert, it simply don’t get any better!

I would Call Lee and ask him? Lee is a super nice guy :yeah: pick up where i left off

I wonder if he would do a card of half pins half crosshairs

A Lee Shavers card, half pins and half crosshairs..... would order in a second. All I would need or want for hunting. With one additional card of his circle inserts for target work (no big deal to change at the range) I would be one happy camper.

idahoron said:
I wonder if he would do a card of half pins half crosshairs

I think he would, those cards are cut by a Computer program of some sort? I can’t imagine it would be any more difficult to ask it to do 5 of one, and 5 of the other. Lee is a Heck of a nice guy, and a pleasure to chat with :yeah:

Talked to Lee Shavers about custom inserts cards and they are NOT available. The cards are subcontracted out and it is just not feasible with their process. I was able to order 5 pin or post inserts though. There were no individual crosshair inserts available.

Company called Distant Thunder , will make about what ever you need, but don't know for what sight

45cal said:
Company called Distant Thunder , will make about what ever you need, but don't know for what sight

Back when i was setting up this 1:18 twist Renegade i looked at Distant Thunder sights, they looked good! I liked the Angled Front Globe, For Really Long Range it seems like a pretty good idea. I didn’t look and see if DT made inserts for the 17 Series Globe?

Thought inserts were a bit pricey at $5 each, but sure beats $25 a card to get one you want. Wished they would have had some crosshair inserts available, but still a deal.

I am sure Distant Thunder offers quality products, just don’t see value at $16 per insert unless you require some unique size/design requirements. Not complaining about $5 each for Shaver inserts found laying in their extra parts draw, just think when compaired to a $25 card with 10 inserts, $5 per insert is pricey. But still a deal if you know what you want when compared to buying entire card for single insert you desire.

Here is a prototype mount I'm cobbling together for the repro Whitworths and Volunteer rifles.
Well that didn't work, I don't think I'll ever figure out how to get pics on any forum

Latest posts

Back