Advice on aperture sight for TC Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Hawken is superbly accurate and REALLY needs a sight upgrade.
I don't care for the Lyman aperture sights, and would prefer a tang type. I need windage adjustment and enough elevation to compensate for the 24 inches of drop my favorite load has at 200 yards ( when zeroed dead on at 100). Maybe a bit more if she likes my Lyman soup cans!
As a hunter, I'm actually pleased with the factory bead front sight. No need to change it at this time.
Its HIGH time to see what this lady is REALLY capable of!
Thanks!

If it was a “Set it, and forget it” Sight, and since you don’t like the Lyman 57, I would say to find a Factory TC Tang Peep, They can bring a Premium through places such as Ebay. But Deals can Stil be found on them, Like the 3 i recently found for 35 Bucks a Piece :) And being they were Designed for the Hawken/Renegade, They are a Perfect Fit :lewis:

9nKW0qxl.jpg

The only other adjustable Tang mounted Peep that i know of is the Williams FP Hawken, This is a Little Sleeker Sight than the Lyman 57, All you would Need extra is a Gib Lock (Knurled Elevator Lock Screw) So you could loosen By hand in the Field and Make an Elevation Adjustment to Shoot your 200 Yards
fFUFCkcl.jpg

This is a Gib Lock
f4IGcpi.jpg

The Gib lock takes place of this little Flat Head Screw, Without the Knurled Gib Lock you would need to Carry a little Flat Screw Driver on your person in order to Loosen the Elevation Slider and make Elevation adjustments (FAR less than Handy!) The Gib Lock Screw allows you to Easily Make Field Elevation adjustments by hand, No tools needed
EnC0Hex.jpg

There was another option from TC. It is not an actual vernier, but it is a ladder. If you follow? It also has a windage that is either you loosen the disk and slide it around or use the horizontal stop screw. That screw does not pull the sigth disk. It acts as a stop. I replaced my Allen stop screws with slotted screws and a lock nut. It is not a precision system. You can retain the front sight or use a Lyman AUG globe. The globe can take a variety of inserts and others available. I remove the rear sight completely. You may have to drill and tap one screw hole.

So; it not precise and not rugged. But it is made to fit and looks the part. The first photo is a Renegade shooting Lee REAL bullets. Th sight is 1 division up from the lowest with the AUG front. I have one on another TC, with a longer slow twist barrel and that sight is 1/2 way up the elevation. I think the AUG is 0.6 high from the bottom of the dove tail. There is an option to go 0.8. Discontinued. You are facing a lot of discontinued options here.

I mention the elevations, because if you try and adapt a high quality, true vernier such as one of the Montana companies produce you may need to go a lot higher with a front globe. These TC will crank right down low.

I will try and get another photo if you like to see how I modified the windage to make it a little more user frinedly. All the screws are common thread sizes. No fine pitch gun screws anywhere on this sight. Kinda too bad, but; easy to mess with.

Attachments

• Rear_peep.JPG
    Rear_peep.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 33
  • 7190.jpg
    7190.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm thinking that maybe it might be possible to get a man like Lee Shaver to make a tang sight for our beloved Renegades. He does make sights, and he's a black powder shootin man. Maybe with enough inquiry he could be moved into helping us out!

He makes one now. It list for $260 for the economy version. I am guessing this could be used on a TC. It looks like a great sight but; a bit more than I need. The only caveat I see is making sure he set the proper staff angle for TC. That is trivial. If he has not done one, you might need to send him the tang from a rifle. I dont see that requiring a lot of people asking. I guess one person has to call and maybe post a new thread.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/muzzleloaders-and-trapdoor-rifles-economy-mid-range-soule/
Even if not for me, for sure, another lead for the OP to consider. I did not know this was even an option.

Heard Lewis mention these a few times. That is a darn nice looking sight!

Montana Vintage Arms has a similar sight, the #130 Vernier Tang Sight, $285.00, 1.3" of elevation, 28MOA of windage.

www.montanavintagearms.com

Or, you could jump up to the Schuetzen Soule tang sight, $385.00, 88MOA of elevation, 44MOA of windage

Either of the above sights, or any of the other 10 Vernier/Soule rear sights would require a special base yo fit a T/C tang.

I'm thinking that maybe it might be possible to get a man like Lee Shaver to make a tang sight for our beloved Renegades. He does make sights, and he's a black powder shootin man. Maybe with enough inquiry he could be moved into helping us out!
Pick up the phone and ask Lee ,he can get you started for sure ,and he"s easy to talk to ! /Ed

I haven’t been around much due to some family health issues. Let me check I have a t/c sight that I replaced with a small just because that’s what I have on my whites.

let me know if interested

Couple of questions on this subject. "Thompson Center Tang Mount Hunting Style PEEP Sight #7194"

1) Can you keep the original front sight, or does it need to be replaced to
accommodate the peep sight?

2) Does the original rear sight need to be removed, or can it stay in place with this peep sight installed?

Thank you in advance for your kind information.

Last edited:
Couple of questions on this subject. "Thompson Center Tang Mount Hunting Style PEEP Sight #7194"

1) Can you keep the original front sight, or does it need to be replaced to
accommodate the peep sight?

2) Does the original rear sight need to be removed, or can it stay in place with this peep sight installed?

Thank you in advance for your kind information.

Yes you can keep the Factory front sight, TC’s front sight heights are correct for their Tang Peeps.

The Rear sight DOES have to be removed, otherwise it interferes with line of Sight. Very simple procedure, There are 2 Screws that hold it on the Barrel, After you remove the Rear sight you can Simply Plug the 2 Holes with 6-48 Plug screws :lewis:

Yes you can keep the Factory front sight, TC’s front sight heights are correct for their Tang Peeps.

The Rear sight DOES have to be removed, otherwise it interferes with line of Sight. Very simple procedure, There are 2 Screws that hold it on the Barrel, After you remove the Rear sight you can Simply Plug the 2 Holes with 6-48 Plug screws :lewis:

Thank you sir for your response.
I appreciate the information.:lewis:

Apologies for rehashing an old post but I have a couple of questions regarding the "Thompson Center Tang Mount Hunting Style PEEP Sight #7194"

1, Is anyone using this this sight and what do you think to it.
2, Does anyone have a copy of the mounting instructions? If yes any chance you could copy it and post it. I need to know if it uses the front tang screw or the rear tang screw to mount. Or, are you drilling & tapping two holes and mounting it between the tang screws?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Apologies for rehashing an old post but I have a couple of questions regarding the "Thompson Center Tang Mount Hunting Style PEEP Sight #7194"

1, Is anyone using this this sight and what do you think to it.
2, Does anyone have a copy of the mounting instructions? If yes any chance you could copy it and post it. I need to know if it uses the front tang screw or the rear tang screw to mount. Or, are you drilling & tapping two holes and mounting it between the tang screws?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
One hole only between the two factory holed ,the only one to get D+T ed , that one you drilled and the rear is what you want ,tape it on and see the sight picture , you will need a front globe . I believe there is a sticky on height /see Idaho lewis and sidelocks (NAME /Sidelock) are the same ! Ed

I haven't checked in here lately, but I saw this thread and thought this might help. Here are the instructions directly off of the T/C Hunter tang peep sight:
No. 7194 Hunting Style Tang Mount Peep Sight
For T/C Hawken, Renegade, Big Boar, White Mtn. Carbine,
and Pennsylvania Hunter
WARNING - Never attempt to install a sight on a loaded firearm.
Always ensure that the firearm is UNPRIMED AND UNCHARGED.
Failure to heed this warning could result in an accidental discharge
causing injury and/or death to the shooter or bystanders and
damage to property.
Read the instructions included in this package before attempting
to install or use this sight.
Installation of the T/C Tang Peep Sight on Thompson/Center's
Traditional Cap Lock or Flint Lock Muzzleloaders:
Hunting style Tang Peep Sights require the drilling of either
one or two additional holes in the tang for mounting.
For the White Mountain Carbine and Pennsylvania Hunter models,
two additional holes must be drilled and tapped.
Place the sight midway between the front and rear tang screws,
then center the sight side to side on the tang.
Use a prick punch to mark the front hole only. Use a #29 drill
and an 8-32 tap to thread the hole after it has been drilled.
Once the front screw has been secured, then mark the rear
screw hole; drill and tap.
For other traditional T/C side locks, it will only be necessary
to drill and tap the front hole. The back hole uses the
existing rear tang screw found in the rifle. Once secured
with the rear tang screw (and aligned side to side on the tang),
mark the front screw location with a prick punch - use a #29 drill
to drill the hole, and a 8-32 thread tap.
If you have any questions on this, call the Thompson/Center
Service Dept. at (603) 332-2333.

Found this in another thread. Question answered. I should have just looked a bit harder !!

Latest posts

Back