Age & Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
How old are you, and do you still hunt?

I called DOC White last night at 7 P.M. Mountain Time to speak with him regarding my Optima V2 pistol's laminated Javelina stocks.

His lovely wife answered the phone, only to inform me that he was STILL OUT TURKEY HUNTING!!!!!

For his second turkey of the spring!!!

The nerve of the guy!! And at 84 years old, no less!!

I am 66, and it looks like I will be 67 by the time I can return to the woods to ethically hunt.

I just hope that I can still be out hunting when I am that age.

I'm 69 and still plan to scale the mountain I hunt on. I stay out of elevated stands now. I hit the woods before light and stay until it's dark. My season is nine days long and I generally hunt two days and take the third off, then hunt two more and finish , if I still have tags, on Fri Sat and Sun. For the last couple years I've tagged my buck on opening day and then have passed on anything but a large doe until the 4th day when I get less fussy about size.

I'll be 70 this July. I have Sarcoidosis on my lungs, so I get winded pretty easily. So I don't climb the mountains like I used to. Plus probably going to need knee replacement someday and trying to avoid a rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. So, I try to find places where the terrain isn't so bad. As long as I take my time I'm ok. Naturally if I lost some weight it would also help, but fighting the battle of the bulge is tough. It's amazing you can lose 10 lbs, but one bad meal and wham you put on at least 5 lbs. 😳

Im 64. I shoot and hunt at every opportunity. Got a nice 9 inch turkey a month or so ago. I like to dilute my hunting with fishing for brook trout during the summer. Just lost a fishing pal who was 82. He fished with us last year so that was great. I pray the LORD will let me hunt until my last day. Then maybe pass sitting at the base of a tree watching the stream go by.

55 and dont get to hunt nearly enough. Life always has something else planned for me. It looks like CatamountRob and I are youngsters here so far. I think we need more young and female members here. My neighbor is in his 30s and an avid hunter but has 2 little kids and 2 jobs. He says he just doesnt have time to ML when he can hunt all the seasons w/o out one around here(CWD zones).

64+ and still climbing higher in the trees than most younger guys. I will keep deer hunting as long as the GOOD LORD allows. Only 2 last season as I only could hunt at home but still have enough meat to last till this upcoming season. Keep after it as long as you are able. Got jerky going right now.

My neighbor is in his 30s and an avid hunter but has 2 little kids and 2 jobs. He says he just doesnt have time to ML
Tell you what michiganmuzzy. You find a baby sitter for his kids and come up to the thumb for muzzle loader season some Saturday when we do deer drives. Both of you. We have lots of deer and places to hunt.

How old are you, and do you still hunt?

I called DOC White last night at 7 P.M. Mountain Time to speak with him regarding my Optima V2 pistol's laminated Javelina stocks.

His lovely wife answered the phone, only to inform me that he was STILL OUT TURKEY HUNTING!!!!!

For his second turkey of the spring!!!

The nerve of the guy!! And at 84 years old, no less!!

I am 66, and it looks like I will be 67 by the time I can return to the woods to ethically hunt.

I just hope that I can still be out hunting when I am that age.

Yes, I'm still hunting, tried to kill a deer last year with my flintlock, but the weather turned to rain, snow and mud and caution being the better part of Valor, I gave it up before I hurt myself. This year I put in for two antelope tags, hopefully I get one in the upcoming drawing and I'm going to do my best, because they are the best eating. I've already got an elk tag for archery, but that's kind of a wish for then a sure thing. I'm 81.
Squint

You old timers are an inspiration. 59 here and have two Elk hunts planned for fall ( CO and NM ). They should both MZ Tags. If CO through as planned.

Deer hunting is a walk in park here in KS. However, my favorite spot on public land is 1.3 miles in with two creek crossings ( hand cart only ). I’ve been hauling them out on my own but one of these days I’m going to have to show a youngster my secret spot. So he can help me haul. I just can’t do it yet.

Last edited:
Back