Aging Eyes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MVA has a Hadley disc for the Tang. not a shutter system but several variable size holes and a dial to rotate one into the center position. Same principle I guess but roughly 2x more than a Merit disc. Sounds like a peep with variable aperture is the next step. Thanks
It's what I use along with Lee Shavers venier/front globe (not cheap) but honestly for long range a scope is the way to go for me/already using straight 4x for hunting . Most of my iron sighted barrels get by passed shooting conicals cause of yardage . Even round balls cause of checking horns lately except flint locks !Ed

Well I hope I can see as well as you at that age hell I hope I make it to that age 😅
I hope you will also and more.
It blow my mind in summer of 2020 when I found I could shoot bullseyes 🎯 out to 115 yards with my crossbow. Since I have repeated that many times for 100 yards.

Well I’ve been reading this thread intently. Now age 65 my eye issues are the same as when I was 21… astigmatisms, in both eyes. My vision on good days is 20-20 bad days guessing 20-30. Front vertical sights appear to me to be bent usually to the left. Same with scopes usually where the crosshairs meet. I figure the sight picture is the same each time so I don’t dwell on it.

The real issue is rifle iron sights I can’t get a clear front sight focus. Would love to find a peep sight but would have better luck finding the “Holly Grail”. The Williams Hawken peep is what I really want to try. Beginning to think of trying to make a peep sight rather than wait.

Things were getting dark fast for me. First front sight went then rear. TV and computer were tough. Stopped gunsmithing and anything requiring hand eye skills. Switched to 20" shotgun for snake and home defense. I have asked VA if agent orange related and got basically rebuked. Once got knocked in a Thai Klong full of it during the crash of an F-111a.
speaking of no respect

Things were getting dark fast for me. First front sight went then rear. TV and computer were tough. Stopped gunsmithing and anything requiring hand eye skills. Switched to 20" shotgun for snake and home defense. I have asked VA if agent orange related and got basically rebuked. Once got knocked in a Thai Klong full of it during the crash of an F-111a.
Speaking of no respect, hats off to you

Would love to find a peep sight but would have better luck finding the “Holly Grail”. The Williams Hawken peep is what I really want to try. Beginning to think of trying to make a peep sight rather than wait.
Are you looking for the tang mounted sight or the one that goes where the rear sight is?

Well I’ve been reading this thread intently. Now age 65 my eye issues are the same as when I was 21… astigmatisms, in both eyes. My vision on good days is 20-20 bad days guessing 20-30. Front vertical sights appear to me to be bent usually to the left. Same with scopes usually where the crosshairs meet. I figure the sight picture is the same each time so I don’t dwell on it.

The real issue is rifle iron sights I can’t get a clear front sight focus. Would love to find a peep sight but would have better luck finding the “Holly Grail”. The Williams Hawken peep is what I really want to try. Beginning to think of trying to make a peep sight rather than wait.
I can't focus either the front or rear sights in any weapon. In case of the pistol I can see well enough to kill with it. I think the best solution for improved results is red dot scope in place of steel steel sites in cases where magnification isn't required.

Latest posts

Back