Air compressor attachement for sidelock nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I've seen people post here about using compressed air to remove a stuck ball. I have a large air compressor...anybody got a picture of the actual attachment that you attach to the air hose that connects to the nipple to shoot the air into the breech end of the barrel?

Take the valve stem from an old tire or tube and use a die set to thread the end with the threads that match you guns nipple. Remove the nipple from your gun, thread in the tire valve stem and use your compressor to unload the gun. Be sure to use a good back stop to catch the projectile when it is expelled. they can come out with sufficient force to penetrate a 3/4" board. Don't ask me how I know this. I now use a cardboard box filled with old rags to catch the projectile.

Sorry for being uninformed, but what is a "die set"?

For a truly stuck bullet or ball an Air compressor won't take it out. There just isn't enough PSI even at 150 PSI to push it out.
I have unloaded my gun many times with air but a truly stuck item in the barrel is not going to budge.

10acres has listed what a tap & die set is in his post above. If you have a really stuck ball that an air compressor won't push out, and you don't want to try a ball puller, my last resort is to get the appropriate sized zerk grease fitting to fit in place of the nipple, and then pump the grease to it. Makes a mess to clean up, but the ball will come out as there is quite a bit of pressure from the grease gun.

Hi all - I've seen people post here about using compressed air to remove a stuck ball. I have a large air compressor...anybody got a picture of the actual attachment that you attach to the air hose that connects to the nipple to shoot the air into the breech end of the barrel?

Attachments

• 20220117_183736.jpg
    20220117_183736.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 6
Or .remove nipple, dribble 4F into the barrel, push ball onto powder (don't want a gap between powder & ball or you can bulge/ring barrel), replace nipple, cap and fire. Done this for dry ball, works most of the time. Out in the woods, if the ball puller won't work, it's been my only option.

Really like the grease gun method, I need to try that. Seems to me matching threads on zerk fitting with nipple threads is important. Stripping or cross-threading nipple hole would ruin my day.

Or .remove nipple, dribble 4F into the barrel, push ball onto powder (don't want a gap between powder & ball or you can bulge/ring barrel), replace nipple, cap and fire. Done this for dry ball, works most of the time. Out in the woods, if the ball puller won't work, it's been my only option.

Really like the grease gun method, I need to try that. Seems to me matching threads on zerk fitting with nipple threads is important. Stripping or cross-threading nipple hole would ruin my day.
Zerk grease fittings come in several thread/diameter sizes, metric and American, just have to make sure you get the right one.

I use a worm on my KADOOTY.
If the KADOOTY won‘t get out the you have to de-breach the rifle and poke it out.
But, the KADOOTY will do it..

Attachments

• 23599AD8-2274-48E3-87B1-875141D053C4.jpeg
    23599AD8-2274-48E3-87B1-875141D053C4.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 26
I use a worm on my KADOOTY.
If the KADOOTY won‘t get out the you have to de-breach the rifle and poke it out.
But, the KADOOTY will do it..

Is that some kind of slide hammer? If that fails the grease gun will as long as there is not a hole all the way through the Bullet.

Back