Airguns! What are you shootin?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice thread, thanks. I know nothing about air guns. Have an old Daisy 131 my brother left at my place years ago. When the chipmunks start driving me crazy I bring it out.

I have a Sheridan Silver Streak that I purchased new in the late 70's, A Sheridan Blue Streak that my brother purchased new, also in the late 70's,, both in .20cal. I also have a couple Beeman Sportsman RS3's, one in a .177cal and the other in a .22cal. I also have a Winchester 77XS in a .177cal. that I purchased at Wal-Mart for $35 on clearance. Air gunning can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be. Here's a couple pics of my Winchester 77XS and my Sheridan Blue Streak.Winchester77XS.jpg1025161515-00.jpg

I bought one of these for my Dad in .22 cal. Great entry level pcp. Gun is very accurate and there are a lot of great mod videos out there on U tube. A lot of squirrels have been taken with this gun!
Thanks.
I actually just need something for vermin to maybe 40yds max and it doesn't have to be anything more than entry level. I'm just so tired of this Gamo and busting scopes. I've had it a few years but its time to get something different.

I would go with the .22 instead of the .17 cal. The pellet offerings for hunting are much better as is the power for killing critters. The new slug offerings are truly awesome at taking vermin. I’ve taken many squirrels and groundhogs with my .22 cal. Of course, accuracy is the most important factor, and the Gauntlet is a very accurate gun.

Well a couple of flat out misses today prompted me (P'd me off) to grab a target, jump in the Ranger and head down to the backstop. I stopped and positioned the Ranger so I could get a good rest off the box and walked to hang the target. Counted 26 long paces.
Now the rifle had been shooting great after setting the zero awhile back, but those misses shouldn't have happened. So I sent 3 at the target. Right to left was ok, but dang it, it was higher than heck. Pulled the cap on the turret and made a full 1/2 revolution DOWN and after taping up the holes on the target sent 3 more. Those 3 ended up just about 3/4" high. Not satisfied, I ended up sending 6 more and all were still at 3/4" high. So for those last 9 rounds I can deal with 3/4" high at 26 paces. How long that will last is anyone's guess.
I'm pretty sure after all these years and many scopes mounted, I pretty much know how its done, so it sure as heck isn't related to mounting.
That Gauntlet may be in my future and I my go with the 22cal.

I have a Beeman Sportsman series RS2. It has .177 and .22 barrels. Its not an expensive gun but the .177 barrel is fairly accurate. The .22 barrel is very accurate out to about 75 yards, which is pretty much the limit of my shooting if I decide to plink something from the neighbor's trees. It came with some junk factory barrel that would not stand up to the springer action so I spent a c-not on a scope that seems to stand up to the gun's rigors.

We were at the cabin for a few days earlier this week and I took it to play with the crows and ravens. The .22 cal stuff handles those larger birds nice. We got home yesterday and I put the .177 back on to use around the yard after seeing a mess of young red squirrels that seem to have taken up residence in our old oak tree. Red squirrels are on the "not in my back yard" list and just a few minutes ago I popped the last of the four suckers.

This is the best picture of a red squirrel ever.

XkBExxf.jpg

4 Hatsan Edge break barrel springer in (.177,.177,.22,.25)

Beeman p17 .177 single stroke pneumatic pistol.

Umarex dx7 .177/bb spring pistol.

Umarex morph CO2 bb pistol/rifle.

My favorite of all is the Hatsan .177 close runner up is the Beeman p17.

I set up army men at 30 ft and take head and groin shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_005915_9.jpg
    IMG_20200622_005915_9.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
4 Hatsan Edge break barrel springer in (.177,.177,.22,.25)

Beeman p17 .177 single stroke pneumatic pistol.

Umarex dx7 .177/bb spring pistol.

Umarex morph CO2 bb pistol/rifle.

My favorite of all is the Hatsan .177 close runner up is the Beeman p17.

I set up army men at 30 ft and take head and groin shots.

Now that’s a BUNCH of Air Rifles! :lewis:

One has to be careful........

So, I've been fighting with this damn Gamo springer air rifle. Damn thing breaks scopes one right after the other, even the Gamo scope. Pisses me off.
So I go out, put the damn thing in the lead sled just to find out exactly what's going on. At 25yds, I'm lucky to get a 4" group! Completely unexceptable.

Now the careful part.........

I come into the house, maybe bitching just a little. Just a little mind you
1f642.png
:)

So the wife says, "Just buy a new one!"

So I says to the wife, 'They're expensive and I'm not buying another springer air rifle.'

So the wife says again, "Just buy a new one!"

I don't think she understands a new air rifle will cost $500+.

Might be a trap......... 🤔

One has to be careful........

So, I've been fighting with this damn Gamo springer air rifle. Damn thing breaks scopes one right after the other, even the Gamo scope. Pisses me off.
So I go out, put the damn thing in the lead sled just to find out exactly what's going on. At 25yds, I'm lucky to get a 4" group! Completely unexceptable.

Now the careful part.........

I come into the house, maybe bitching just a little. Just a little mind you
1f642.png
:)

So the wife says, "Just buy a new one!"

So I says to the wife, 'They're expensive and I'm not buying another springer air rifle.'

So the wife says again, "Just buy a new one!"

I don't think she understands a new air rifle will cost $500+.

Might be a trap......... 🤔
If you do decide to buy one Hatsan USA is having a sale.

I love their stuff they make air rifles and real shout guns. They both shout very hard. Lol

Not a fan of umarex or Gamo. If you can't afford the weihrauch go hatsan I say.

Latest posts

Back