ALMOST A sucess

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

improman

Reaction score
Last day in maine season ..daughter n me went futher out...where i had success before.Sitting down around noon...She is 14 and pretty tiny but can hold and shoot as long as its not to long.A lil after 3 a deer nice buck appeared to her left over out from under a lil knob hill 30 yards away.LIKE A GHOST THERE he was,,,she cant see it...I WAIT she looks but her veiw is with the deer behind some dead softwood..He wags is tail takes a step,,,And she see it ,,now he,s quartering away kinda suspicious being it was dead quiet. Hearing the things like sleeves on jacket...HE,S WIRED looking around now...she pulls up...nothing ...WAIT...nothing... no gun going off he walks a lil see the movement and bolts the hell outta there..IAM OPEN MOUTH WHHHATTTT..IN FACE movement without noise...she had a fire hawk from t/c but in the excitement forgot about taking the safty off..I explained on the walk ..its not about filling your tag or killing every time that you go out hunting..ITS good that he lived i told her...because he will be bigger next year.I told her tha memory will last just as long as if you had shot him.

All part of hunting 👍

You guys have some pretty good bear hunting up in maine don't you?

All part of hunting 👍

[/QUOTEYUP lottsa bears...only state that still traps them too.KEEP the anti,s out from banning hunting..the antis try to drive a wedge into banning hunting with bear bait,,,VERY much part of the economy up nawrth relys on bear baiting.Theres HUGE TRAC,S of paper company land ..that you could get lost in and never be seen again

Didn't know you could trap them, baiting in that part of the world seems like a near on necessity. I read a while ago about bear meat when it's covered in autumn fat from berries and my mouth Waters whenever I think of it. That and a bear skin rug would very much be a talking point in this part of the world. High on my list someday.

Not positive but I believe the trapping is done in a large live trap. Bear meat is delicious !

My boy did the same thing this year on a small buck, only he forgot to pull the hammer back. The deer stood there a full 30 seconds with him pulled down on it. When Braxton realized something was wrong that the gun wasn’t going off and pulled it down to see why, the deer decided he wasn’t hanging out anymore.

That's a great lesson..

My grandson's first day in the deer woods was with his dad along to sit with him. The boy was hunting with his new Remington 870 Express slug gun. The gun came with a trigger lock. Guess where the lock was when a nice buck came and stood 20 yards from the two of them. Guess where the key for the lock was.....think 4 wheels and four hundred yards DOWN a very steep hill.

Minnesota allows bear baiting and most are killed over bait. Trapping is a government thing, not privately done or allowed unless under regulation by the state's dnr. Bear is one of those meats that if you like you like, if you don't you really don't. I don't care for it personally. The fat though can be rendered like pork fat and the resultant lard makes the best frying oil in the world for donuts. It also makes super good bread. The bear lard has zero taste to it.

All part of hunting 👍

Maine, and much of New England as well as New York state has a large black bear population.
I'm originally from Connecticut, the bears are like rats there but no hunting season.

That's a great lesson..

My grandson's first day in the deer woods was with his dad along to sit with him. The boy was hunting with his new Remington 870 Express slug gun. The gun came with a trigger lock. Guess where the lock was when a nice buck came and stood 20 yards from the two of them. Guess where the key for the lock was.....think 4 wheels and four hundred yards DOWN a very steep hill.

Minnesota allows bear baiting and most are killed over bait. Trapping is a government thing, not privately done or allowed unless under regulation by the state's dnr. Bear is one of those meats that if you like you like, if you don't you really don't. I don't care for it personally. The fat though can be rendered like pork fat and the resultant lard makes the best frying oil in the world for donuts. It also makes super good bread. The bear lard has zero taste to it.
Taking a gun to the stand with a trigger lock?!? That’s one I’ve never heard before.
Is there some kind of screwed up law up there requiring it?

Maine, and much of New England as well as New York state has a large black bear population.
I'm originally from Connecticut, the bears are like rats there but no hunting season.
Why no bear hunting?

Why no bear hunting?
Your guess is as good as mine.
Over the last few years, various sportsmen's groups have pushed for a bear season in Connecticut.
It just never gained enough traction in the state legislature.
I think that when someone is killed, hate to say that but then they will scream for a bear hunting season.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Over the last few years, various sportsmen's groups have pushed for a bear season in Connecticut.
It just never gained enough traction in the state legislature.
I think that when someone is killed, hate to say that but then they will scream for a bear hunting season.
That‘s usually the way it goes, but my bet would be that any bear “population control” would be done “govt trappers” instead of being open to the public for hunting.

I don't know if trapping is legal in Maine. They can bait for sure. They also have a hound season.
Vermont and New Hampshire, I think no bait, same for Massachusetts and New York.

Taking a gun to the stand with a trigger lock?!? That’s one I’ve never heard before.
Is there some kind of screwed up law up there requiring it?

No law, just a kid having his first hunt and wanted to be safe. In his excitement he forgot the key in the vehicle. Today he's an extraordinary hunter who pursues heavy heads with his bow and has some impressive 160+ inch kills to his credit. He and a friend are big into quality management. He's more than made up for the forgotten key. But that's how one learns, eh?

That's a great lesson..

trapping here is done by private people

Back