Almost Gave Up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently on my 2nd Traditions Deer Hunter Rifle, 50 cal. 1/48 twist, 24 inch barrel. For the life of me, I couldn't seem to get a round ball to shoot worth beans.
I tried just about everything I could think of with no luck, until just the other day, I decided to try some .15 thick patches as a last effort.
I loaded up the rifle with 60 grains of 3f, under a .490 round ball with the .15 patch. 3 shots at 50 yards, they all stacked one on top of the other. Couldn't believe the difference !
The gun will shoot conical bullets no problem but at the expense of my old shoulder, so I'm a happy camper.

I'm currently on my 2nd Traditions Deer Hunter Rifle, 50 cal. 1/48 twist, 24 inch barrel. For the life of me, I couldn't seem to get a round ball to shoot worth beans.
I tried just about everything I could think of with no luck, until just the other day, I decided to try some .15 thick patches as a last effort.
I loaded up the rifle with 60 grains of 3f, under a .490 round ball with the .15 patch. 3 shots at 50 yards, they all stacked one on top of the other. Couldn't believe the difference !
The gun will shoot conical bullets no problem but at the expense of my old shoulder, so I'm a happy camper.

Good deal!! It’s AMAZING how little things can sometimes make the BIGGEST difference.

Muzzleloaders are quirky as I continue to learn, even though I bought my first one back in 1974 or there about.
They kinda remind me of archery tackle. I've been involved with archery and bow hunting for over 40 years and I've experimented with arrows, broadheads, strings, you name it.
Every one is different in it's own way, there's really no "one size" fits all, that's for sure.

I’ve wondered how many rifles have been sold because the shooter hadn’t found the right load it likes, only to become a tack driver for someone else who stumbles on to it. Good job.

If you really want to go crazy trying to find the right stuff, try airguns!

Very cool to find what it likes, and contradicts that a tight fitting PRB combo yields better accuracy. Congrats on finding it ultimate preferred load!
My Renegade is very picky with RB loads, heck I can influence the groups by over 2" just with the amount of lube I use on the patch let alone the type. So many variables to mess with, that's the fun to me. I think if I found a combo that put every one of them into one hole at a 100 yards I would still experiment with others just for the fun and learning. I have found several combo's that are fine for hunting but nothing that has really "wowed" me on the target yet.
I currently have some pure linen patches I made to do some testing...pretty much always use .018" pillow ticking anymore...as well as some patch lube variations. And I've never tired a .535 RB so that is coming up too.

I have never seen a smokeless or BP gun that I could not get to shoot well. It just takes time and commitment. As a rule to my pals I offer $0.30 cents on the dollar for any gun they cant get to shoot well. :drooling: After they miss a deer I offer $5.00 to $10.00 on the spot.

My favorite side-lock has a long Green Mountain Barrel with 1/66 twist. (second one down in the pic at left) Barrel is a about 30 inches long I would say. Dump anywhere from 70-100 grains(V) of anything BP, stuff a .490 ball with some kiinda oiled patch and youll kill deer with it to 100 yards. Is't fussy about anything. Killed 1-2 deer a year for 35 maybe 40 years with it. Its my favorite but my eyes need a scope in low light these days.

I’ve wondered how many rifles have been sold because the shooter hadn’t found the right load it likes, only to become a tack driver for someone else who stumbles on to it. Good job.

If you really want to go crazy trying to find the right stuff, try airguns!
You ain’t kidding...especially if the damn barrel is jacked up to begin with. I bought a Benjamin marauder pistol and started shooting it. It shot ALL pellets terribly except predator polymags. So I just stuck with those. But even with those 1 out of 9/10 shots would be a flyer. I’m talking 2-3 inches in any direction. Not the end of the world for target shooting. But when I started using it for squirrel. I hated not having confidence in my shots on live animals. So after a few wounded squirrels I started digging. I found online that some of the marauder pistols had oversized bores. So I called up Benjamin, had them send me a new barrel and like magic, now the thing is a tack driver. And shoots most pellets well. Sometimes it really can be the gun...most of the time not

Curious. Why didnt you get a 1/66 twist instead. Your intention was to shoot round balls.

Latest posts

Back